Differences between hourly and salary employees?

Deric

Established Member
Today, as i was walking into work at 8 am, two of the hourly labor guys were walking out for their morning break. One of them looks right at me and says, "Gee, I wish I could come in to work at 8 am." He didn't say he was joking or laugh or anything, he just looked annoyed and walked away.

I didn't say anything back cause it didn't really bother me and I realize I went to college for a reason. But it got me wondering about the differences between hourly and salary employees within a company. I imagine they both envy the other at times, but they both have their own perks.

Anybody of you guys ever run into conflicts between hourly and salary workers?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
There's the obvious "jealousy" between hourly/salary employees. Some days I wish I was paid hourly and most days I'm glad I don't. I haven't heard anything like that yet because most people I come in contact with are either salary or make enough money hourly that they don't complain. lol

08mojo

Established Member
Since it bothers him, make sure you leave earlier than he does too.

The company I currently work for is all salaried employees. The previous company was a mixture of both...and of vastly different education backgrounds. That made things interesting, but the hourly employees always got the last laugh when we worked 90 hour weeks.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Our drafters are hourly...one of them is here when I come in and here when I leave, regardless of time. I wish I could pull OT like that. But, if I have a doctors appt or need to run errands, I can do so as long as my work is getting done...they have to put in the time to get the money. I've been on both sides, best setup I saw was at Toyota. Salaried your 40 hours, paid for OT. It rocked!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Since it bothers him, make sure you leave earlier than he does too.

The company I currently work for is all salaried employees. The previous company was a mixture of both...and of vastly different education backgrounds. That made things interesting, but the hourly employees always got the last laugh when we worked 90 hour weeks.

No kidding. There until the work is done.

Our drafters are hourly...one of them is here when I come in and here when I leave, regardless of time. I wish I could pull OT like that. But, if I have a doctors appt or need to run errands, I can do so as long as my work is getting done...they have to put in the time to get the money. I've been on both sides, best setup I saw was at Toyota. Salaried your 40 hours, paid for OT. It rocked!

That is a great setup.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I'm salary and I get to work at 0600.

We don't really have hourly people where I work, just people who work hard and the lazy asses who roll in at 1100 leave at 1500 and get paid the same as I do.....

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Where I work the hourly people have it pretty good. We are open 40 hours a week, and on a rare occasion they might get asked to work OT on the weekend. For the most part though everyone works 40 hours and that's it so there isn't a benefit to either one in that aspect. Being salary though I can get away with coming in late and taking a long lunch if I need. I can leave and run errands too.

As far as workload is concerned I am sure everyone else, salary or hourly is jealous lol.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Salaried your 40 hours, paid for OT. It rocked!

That's what I am now - salaried non-exempt is the "official" term. I guess it is one of the good things about it - but I also feel more of an obligation to work OT when it's needed.

Only mixed environment I ever worked in was while in College. I loaded trucks at night, school during the day. I was hourly, supervisors and up were salary. Didn't bother me because it was just a stop over, but there were many that took issue with it and used it as an excuse for pretty much anything.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Was the hourly guy commenting on the fact that he has to arrive by, say, 7:50 to ensure he's ready to go at 8:00? Whereas you can walk in the door at 8:00 and start a few minutes later? I'm guessing that is the case. It's good that it didn't bother you, but it sounds like it's bothering at least one hourly paid employee. :shrug: Jealousies like this between employees isn't uncommon. The guy that made the comment gets paid for OT. Do you, Deric? But yeah, salaried and hourly have their own unique advantages and disadvantages. You went to college which probably gives you perks the complainer probably doesn't get. Perks that you've earned IMO.

Zemedici

Established Member
I work 8-6 M-F, every 3rd or 4th saturday. I get paid per day salary, and get paid when I come in saturday for the extra day.

However, I just got bitched at because I didnt punch out monday. lolwut. I'm on salary.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Salaried non-exempt here also.

My OT is paid at straight time but at least it is paid. The salaried non-exempt employees for us are because they are shift workers.

GodStang

Established Member
Every place is different. I am Salary (Exempt) but also get paid straight time Over time. Hourly people (non-Exempt) here get paid by the hour and get Time + 1/2 for over time and double pay on holiday.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I've worked both in hourly and Salary roles in previous jobs.

Hourly has it much easier as they get paid for their time. Salaried people get paid to get the job done, whether or not that is working 5 hours a day or 10 hours a day.

Traditional Salaried people do not make OT unless you are part of a Union. Any company I have worked for (W.W. Grainger, Pactiv) as a Salaried employee, I got paid the same if I worked 40 hours or if I worked 60 hours.

I can relate to the person that made the comment. I make it a point to get to work before 8 AM EVERYDAY and am never late. I always stay until the work is finished and in 3 years I've never used a sick day and my first year I didn't use all of the vacation time allocated to me. Hourly employees are also penalized if they are late clocking in and it is either taken out of their checks or vacation time if it happens enough. You can roll in late every day, will still have your same amount of vacation time and pay, but, may get a warning depending on your boss. That's another difference right there.

96Mystic1189

Established Member
Lol as a car mechanic I just get screwed by the dealer. I can come in for a 40 hour week and get paid 15 hours if thats all the work there is. There is no base pay.

Deric

Established Member
Was the hourly guy commenting on the fact that he has to arrive by, say, 7:50 to ensure he's ready to go at 8:00? Whereas you can walk in the door at 8:00 and start a few minutes later? I'm guessing that is the case. It's good that it didn't bother you, but it sounds like it's bothering at least one hourly paid employee. :shrug: Jealousies like this between employees isn't uncommon. The guy that made the comment gets paid for OT. Do you, Deric? But yeah, salaried and hourly have their own unique advantages and disadvantages. You went to college which probably gives you perks the complainer probably doesn't get. Perks that you've earned IMO.

I believe the hourly guys start at 6:00 or 6:30, depending on the department.

But you are right, Bob- I don't get paid for overtime and he does. I heard two guys arguing a while back and the hourly guy says, "You guys get to come and go as you please, you get longer lunches, and you get more vacation."
The salary guy said, "And we get to work as much free overtime as we want." That ended the argument :shrug:

04svtterm

Established Member
LOL see it all the time. Both have it's perks, but IMO a good percentage of both employees are equally worthless. Hourly paid employee will hurt you by stretching work longer than they need to. Salaried always look to get our early or arrive at 9:01 and leave at 4:59 and wasting time in between. obviously not all are like that, but it's amazing how much of the US work force is pathetic. Some of the best employees are the ones who work on commission. You end up paying them more, but most will hustle their butt off for it making the owner more money as well.

**** lazy workers. let them work at Mcdonalds making minimum wage.

Edit- clearly i'm off topic a bit lol.

But yea, i understand your position.

Last edited:

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I guess he fails to realize that he too could be salaried if he put forth the effort necessary to achieve it. I guess it's easier to just hate on the people that did though.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Maybe the guy was having a rough day. Maybe he was just joking. Don't see why it bothers you so much if it does be a man an confront the guy an get it hashed out.

Ive worked both hourly an salary. Both have there ups an downs. Also depends on the type of work that one has it harder or easier. Not easy to compare the two since the type of job makes a difference.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've worked both, and each has it's advantages. We did have a salaried worker that always started 1/2 to3/4 hour late and was out the door early, combine that with up to 2 hour lunches. The surprised look on her face when she was terminated was priceless, she really didn't think she had done anything wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread