Differences between Full synthetic

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Funny story. I tried the Wal-Mart buy-online-pick-up-in-store option today on Ultra. Said one a few miles away had 3 jugs in stock for $21/jug. After a few hours they canceled my order. Apparently their site inventory isn't updated in real time.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Unleashed, not to derail this thread, but what about change intervals? Is it ok to change at the typical 3k time frame?
I know these newer oils can last longer, but doesnt putting cleaner oil help with engine life/performance???

5.0Flareside

Established Member
Unleashed, not to derail this thread, but what about change intervals? Is it ok to change at the typical 3k time frame?
I know these newer oils can last longer, but doesnt putting cleaner oil help with engine life/performance???

I'm gonna answer this as well as I'm sure UB will..

Of course it's ok to still change at the 3k interval. But why if the oil is still obviously protecting the engine. Especially if a quality oil filter is in play, (IE: Motorcraft, Amsoil, Fram Ultra, royal purple)

By extending drain intervals with a quality synthetic and a quality filter it saves you money and still protects your engine better than run of the mill regular oils.. So why not?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

There is no substantial evidence that short oil change intervals make an engine last longer. If that were true, people changing their oil every 10,000 to 15,000 miles with Amsoil Signature Series wouldn't have engines with 200,000+ miles on them still running like new.

The "short" 3,000 mile oil change interval was started by big oil companies. To make more money, they had to sell more oil. To sell more oil, people like you and I had to change it more frequently. Did you know that Mobil 1 had a 20,000 mile oil in the 1970's. Ever wonder what happened to a quality lubricant like this, offered by Mobil? GREED happened. Petroleum was their cash cow. Telling people to change their oil only once a year with a quality oil was shrinking the bottom line. The bean counters discovered more money was made with cheaper oil using shorter oil change intervals. The rest is history!

I leave you with this cash cow!

funny-devil-god-JiffyLube.jpg

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I'm gonna answer this as well as I'm sure UB will..

Of course it's ok to still change at the 3k interval. But why if the oil is still obviously protecting the engine. Especially if a quality oil filter is in play, (IE: Motorcraft, Amsoil, Fram Ultra, royal purple)

By extending drain intervals with a quality synthetic and a quality filter it saves you money and still protects your engine better than run of the mill regular oils.. So why not?

What is the issue with the RP filter? holding oil?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
RP 20-500 is the same filter as the Amsoil EaO17. They are both manufactured by the same company, likely using the same internal media, as I can't visually tell a difference in the cut open filter comparison.

20-820 = EaO11

SixPak

Established Member
I'm seriously thinking there is no real difference between Walmart brand Full synthetic or Mobil 1 Full synthetic(or other high-end oil brand), except price maybe... I'm getting ready to do oil changes in both my Denali(tow vehicle) and my BMW(family vehicle) and they both take 5w-30 like my Terminator. In my Terminator I use Motorcraft Synthetic blend because it has low miles and that's what it's had since day one with zero problems. My other cars are high mileage and reading the back of the 5qt jugs they both have the same aprovals and ratings so why should I pay $5 more for each jug if they have the same approval ratings? Anxiously awaiting to hear your thoughts.

You need to spend a little time at - Bob is the Oil Guy, and school yourself on some of the finer aspects of lubrication.

As for me, all I have used in my cars for the last 20 or so years is Redline.
And as for it being overpriced? Seeing what others are paying and knowing I just paid $9.95 a quart for some 5-20, I realize it got stuck in me, but they didn't twist it all THAT bad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread