Did my motor just let go?

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Car still hasn't run right since the deletes were installed, but upon cold start last night, a LOUD ticking sound has begun. I immediately shut the car off and haven't started it since.

Is she blow-ed up?

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Those deletes won't cause that. Any possibility of of something falling into the intake when the work was done? Are you tuned for the IMRC delete?

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I doubt it...I've had the car for about 9 months since the deletes....for the first few months, the car never felt right, not as strong as it did when the IMRCs were working...so we got an updated tune to account for the deletes and the car still didn't pull good over 3250rpm...so we added more timing and the car felt "better" but still not right b/c I had a mostly stock 98gt keep up with me.

I'm going to check my oil levels and if alls good there, I'm going to let the car warm up and see what happens to the tick (worsens, lessens, goes away).

I've already priced a Mark8 engine that's closeby as a replacement if I need it.

96GT226410

Established Member
I doubt it...I've had the car for about 9 months since the deletes....for the first few months, the car never felt right, not as strong as it did when the IMRCs were working...so we got an updated tune to account for the deletes and the car still didn't pull good over 3250rpm...so we added more timing and the car felt "better" but still not right b/c I had a mostly stock 98gt keep up with me.

I'm going to check my oil levels and if alls good there, I'm going to let the car warm up and see what happens to the tick (worsens, lessens, goes away).

I've already priced a Mark8 engine that's closeby as a replacement if I need it.
You might need a dyno tune for it to run properly. As far as the ticking noise that can be a couple different things. Let us know what you find after checking those things.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98SVTContour98

Established Member
added some oil and not much changed...got a short video tho...sounds to me like it's coming from the passenger side area...pardon the filthy car

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
It kind of sounds like timing chain rattle honestly, but it's hard to work through video. You could pull the valve covers and see if the chains have a lot of slack in them.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
It kind of sounds like timing chain rattle honestly, but it's hard to work through video. You could pull the valve covers and see if the chains have a lot of slack in them.

that's the plan, take valve covers off and inspect rockers, lifters, chain...might not happen for a while but I'll update once it does.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
I agree sounds like mine when the crank sprocket broke the key and the chains had slack

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

two5r

Established Member
My 96 had similar noise turned out to be a rod bearing

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

98SVTContour98

Established Member
My 96 had similar noise turned out to be a rod bearing

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Don't tell me that! lol

Question: If it's not something easy and I have to replace the motor...Would labor cost be much different to swap in a Mark 8 (and retaining my intake cams/oil pan) vs. swapping in a Mark 8 and doing C-heads/intake?

Users who are viewing this thread