Did my motor just let go?

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Minor Update - Didn't drive the car for about 6 weeks....cranked it up this weekend to move it around the driveway...ticking began immediately...went inside to grab something, came back out a few minutes later...ticking was gone...drove it the next day and yesterday and still no ticking.

IDK what to think, but I'm going to bring it to a place locally that builds modular motors to try to finally address the power-loss issue, burnt oil smell at high rpm, and i'm guessing replace some parts to try and prevent the ticking from coming back. I'll update again once we figure it out.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Sounds like a lash adjuster, may just need to replace them if they are the original ones.

Yes, I'm hoping that is the case...will likely replace them all in addition to chasing the issue on why it feels down on power and getting more of a burnt oil smell after high rmps....I'm guessing a compression test and leak-down test is in the near future...I'd also like to dyno the car to see if it really is down on power.

chao5.0

Established Member
Yes, I'm hoping that is the case...will likely replace them all in addition to chasing the issue on why it feels down on power and getting more of a burnt oil smell after high rmps....I'm guessing a compression test and leak-down test is in the near future...I'd also like to dyno the car to see if it really is down on power.

Compression test will only reveal cranking compression which still will not tell give a true reading of the engines condition. A leak down test will reveal a lot more and will tell you if the engine is in good condition. If you haven't already done so pull the plugs and inspect them, check for the obvious things like fouling or oil, if they seem ok then stick them back in. When you pull the valve covers inspect the chains as best you can and inspect the tensioners, then pull all of the lash adjusters and check to see if they are functioning.

Users who are viewing this thread