Detailed a Black 2008 Shelby GT500 Super Snake (loaded with pics - befores/afters)

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
I had just recently finished detailing a GT500 Super Snake. Because of the stripes, it was a sort of a pita.
All the Paint Correction and everything was done in under 15 hours. (2 days)
I still love Kenne Bell superchargers and that is what this monster had on it. It is good to keep these cars in the best condition possible always.
Just another car I truly appreciate.

There was wash marring and various deep surface scratches throughout the entire car.

Washed: CarPro IronX soap
Rims: Sonax Full Effect
Decon: CarPro IronX Iron Remover

Clay: Optimum Opti-clay
Chemical Guys V7 QD

Rupes 21 / Rupes LHR-12e
D300 / Microfiber pad 6" - 3"
SIP / Orange pad 6" - 3"
PO85rd / LC Black pad
Wiped down with CarPro Eraser
Opticoat Primer

LSP: Optimum Opti-coat Pro
Glass: OptiGlass Pro coating
Rims: Opti-coat Pro
Calipers: Opti-coat Pro

Before

DSC_4007_zps2d1c71a7.jpg

DSC_4005_zps7be983c8.jpg

DSC_4016_zps73069edb.jpg

DSC_4018_zps02fa5cc1.jpg

DSC_4017_zps0a6c0189.jpg

DSC_4006_zps29e48433.jpg

DSC_3996_zps87d2475f.jpg

Masking off the stripes

_DSC4068_zpseb59e8fb.jpg

_DSC4066_zps1bf69e53.jpg

_DSC4067_zpsd4c2d941.jpg

_DSC4072_zpse6ff7fde.jpg

_DSC4075_zpse2f31339.jpg

_DSC4076_zps860d046e.jpg

_DSC4077_zpsce014490.jpg

_DSC4079_zpscd55027c.jpg

AFTER

_DSC4098_zpsde9ed133.jpg

_DSC4099_zps66d107ff.jpg

_DSC4096_zps5be3c122.jpg

_DSC4095_zpsc4bcc065.jpg

_DSC4093_zps4bb23d2a.jpg

_DSC4092_zps80767cd7.jpg

_DSC4090_zps51c7b067.jpg

_DSC4091_zpsac3a8609.jpg

_DSC4089_zpsdc677c40.jpg

_DSC4087_zps93c376fd.jpg

_DSC4088_zpsd246cdc3.jpg

_DSC4086_zpsc53a00be.jpg

Thanks for looking :beer:

Last edited:

ThomasL

Established Member
Looks great! Pumped to get my black car detailed. Gotta find the right place first. In the Tampa area if anyone knows someone.

oldmodman

Established Member
Beautiful workmanship. Especially with the world hardest color to keep nice, black.

I have been using the green tape on stripes and pinstripes. I am always afraid that plain masking tape might cause lifting.
Are you using the PO85 as a final polishing step or for jeweling? I have had by best luck using the gold pads for jeweling.

How long do you think the owner will keep it looking that good?

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
Beautiful workmanship. Especially with the world hardest color to keep nice, black.

I have been using the green tape on stripes and pinstripes. I am always afraid that plain masking tape might cause lifting.
Are you using the PO85 as a final polishing step or for jeweling? I have had by best luck using the gold pads for jeweling.

How long do you think the owner will keep it looking that good?

I do not use PO85rd for any polishing, period. It's strictly for jeweling and adding that hint of gloss, clarity, depth, etc. It may be mental at that point but once you think it is just so perfect, it's just that finishing touch. 90% of the shine is in the correction and once I finished with Menzerna SIP, it was fully corrected. I actually started with SIP but due to the additional RIDS that I kept encountering I took out a new microfiber pad and used D300. That was enough to remove all the imperfections of which I thought SIP would have taken care of.

The owner will not touch the car. He is scared that he would mess something up even though he can safely wash his own car now 'the right way' due to the scratch resistant properties and hardness of the coating and not have to walk around over eggshells in fear of scratching the surface. He will bring it back to me once every 1-2 months for maintenance detailing. The hydrophobic properties will last a good several months so this will make my part simple. He rarely drives the car.
The Opticoat Pro will last him for years especially since its garage kept and not exposed to the atmospheric agents like some cars that are left outside or even daily driven.

I used low tac tape that I got from the paint shop a few stores over and the wrap shop. The tape is not sticky at all so I won't ever have to worry about removing tape just to find that I modified the stripes by the adhesive from tape. What I do is overlap the stripe on to the paint surface by a hair to ensure that I won't have to worry with damage or any means of altering the stripes. The last thing that would need to happen is getting compound or polish on stripes. Whether it would add gloss to the matte stripe or get under the stripe...it just saves a big mess by preparing the work in that order.

kb67

Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice work really came out great.

I have a quick question how did you work with the stripes with the Iron X ? Did you tape them off or is it Ok to leave them exposed during washing and decon.

Kb67

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
Very nice work really came out great.

I have a quick question how did you work with the stripes with the Iron X ? Did you tape them off or is it Ok to leave them exposed during washing and decon.

Kb67

They are just matte stickers. The wash procedure has absolutely no harmful affect to the stripes, therefore, there is no reason to mask them off. IronX Iron remover is very conservative. It's pH neutral as well.

Last edited:

va boy

Established Member
Solid work man, that was a heck of a correction job. I like the idea of the headlamp, I'm gonna copy that idea, thanks!

The Mongoose

Established Member
Really nice job. I did my car for the first time last year, and it turned out great. It's all in prep work and taking your time. Nice Z06 in your signature too.

Users who are viewing this thread