Defyant Marauder at the track

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
LRDYGNE said:
finally bit the bullet and have decided to purchase the Trilogy charger kit (400 hours to go I am told). Should have took Billy's advice a year ago when I first read it on MM.net, live and learn.

, add 140 RWHP and all I can say is before I hit the track 305 Nittos will be on the rear and Honda's look out :thumbsup: .

BillyG still want to give your warn out Nittos a good home?
Congratulations on your Trilogy supercharger purchase. I can assure you that you'll never regret it, and that your Marauder will be so much more fun to drive than it ever was. You'll hurt a lot of feelings on the street. Just be carefull with all that extra power!!!!

The Trilogy kit with the standard 9.5 PSI pulley will have your car making 380-420 HP to the wheels depending on what else you have on the car. My car is puting 400 HP to the wheels. As far as the worn Nittos go, after the burnout I just did in my workplace parking lot lastnight, I dunno if it would be worth your money to pay for the shipping to Canada, just to be slapping these warn out puppies on your car. I plan on having them taken off the wheels in exchange for a fresh pair of Nittos next week. But they are so worn that the steel belts will be out of them soon, and even though they still are grabbing better than the factory stock radials do, they aren't grabbing as good as a new set would.

If you lived close enough for me to meet you somewhere to give them to you, then I'd say it might be worth it. let me know how everything goes with your S/Cer kit. Are you going to have someone else perform the installation? And are you aware that you'll need to put the stock pullies back on the car, and get rid of those U/D pullies?

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Defyant said:
Welcome.

On the street the stock tires will get you by. Before I get flamed again!, I will be upgrading to wider rims and (probably) Nittos eventually!
LOL!!!!! Come on dude, stop playing the martyr roll. I didn't "flame" you. If you think that was a flame, then you ought to go to the "smackdown" forum of this board, because there, you'll see some real flame wars. This thread hasn't seen any of the sort, but merely some exchanges of opposing views. I think there's a big difference.If you think that anything that isn't in agreement with your viewpoint is a "flame" then you simply take people wrong, and you and I will simply never agree on that. Afterall, I didn't resort to name calling, nor even to knocking your car.

And in fact I agree with you that on the street, there isn't neccessarily anything wrong at all with using standard radials on a supercharged Marauder(I never said there was either). They're especially more fun for burnouts from a dead punch. With a Trilogy equipped Marauder, you can still smoke the tires on the street from a dead punch with Nittos on the back, even into second gear, but not as much as you can with the stock radials.

On the dragstrip is where the Nittos really shine. Hammer the gas pedal all at once when you see that green light (or the amber one) and they will grab real nice in atleast 8 out of 10 runs, as long as you got your pre-race burnout into second gear, and have the tire pressure lowered to about 17-22 PSI.(I ran back to back 1.6 second 60' times with 22 PSI in them).

Last edited:

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
I forgot the smiley thingy to put the right tone on that:

:) or :-D or :poke:

would have fit nicely

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Defyant said:
I forgot the smiley thingy to put the right tone on that:

:) or :-D or :poke:

would have fit nicely
Okay, you got me on that one......this written word communication thing can get tricky sometimes...anyway, I hope that you continue to have fun with that monster of a Marauder of yours, and be careful on the street with all that power!!! (no joke!!!).

LRDYGNE

New Guy

Thanks, decided to have Steeda install it along with my new exhaust ( went with cobra SVO shorties + magnaflow x-pipe instead of Kooks since I blew my budget on the blower ), unfortunately not experienced enough to do it myself although was tempted.

Thanks anyways (about the Nittos), having my Steeda guy price them out for me.

Thanks again, yes, I have been combing MM.net for the last while so I knew the UDP's would have to go, oh well nice trade off. Lucky for me I had the foresight to keep all the stock parts just in case.

Sully008

Established Member
LRDYGNE said:
Thanks, decided to have Steeda install it along with my new exhaust ( went with cobra SVO shorties + magnaflow x-pipe instead of Kooks since I blew my budget on the blower ), unfortunately not experienced enough to do it myself although was tempted.

Thanks anyways (about the Nittos), having my Steeda guy price them out for me.

Thanks again, yes, I have been combing MM.net for the last while so I knew the UDP's would have to go, oh well nice trade off. Lucky for me I had the foresight to keep all the stock parts just in case.

Congrats on your S/C AND exhaust purchase! Ugh. I need to win the lottery. BTW, would you be interested in selling your UDPs? :poke:

Defyant: You'll be running in the 12s in no time at the track. In the short time I've been in contact with Billy, I've come to respect his straight shooting, no pulling punches style. I've got friends like that, and I'm proud call Billy one of my friends.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Sully008 said:
Congrats on your S/C AND exhaust purchase! Ugh. I need to win the lottery. BTW, would you be interested in selling your UDPs? :poke:

Defyant: You'll be running in the 12s in no time at the track. In the short time I've been in contact with Billy, I've come to respect his straight shooting, no pulling punches style. I've got friends like that, and I'm proud call Billy one of my friends.
I appreciate that. BTW, you have a PM on the Marauder board. ;-)

Last edited:

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
BillyGman said:
If you're bent on running Nitto tires in the front too, then your only possible choice would have to be the NT555 in P255/45 ZR18 103W because that's the only thing that has a tire height (aka "overall diameter") that's even close to the factory stock tire height on the front. The factory stock front tires are 27.2" tall, and the NT555 P255/45 ZR18 Nittos have a height of 26.97". So that's only about .23" shorter which I doubt would create a problem with your traction control, or ABS system. But that's merely a guess on my part. Keep in mind that those NT555 tires are NOT drag radials like the NT555R tires are, because obviously you wouldn't want to run drag radials on the front (unless you're driving a wrong wheel drive car :D ).

Thanks Billy. You confirmed the same tires I did. Always good to have a second opinion. And yes, I want to run the Nittos on the front. I have 275 X 17 NT555's on th front of my Mustang and 315's Drag radials on the rear with 10.5 X 17 wheels. The Kazera rims I am getting for the front are 18 X 8.5 so the 255's should look good and handle well. I have been real happy with the Nitto's. Nice ride, great handlng and good in the rain as well with subtle driving. Hope to hook up with you the end of August or Labor Day weekend (which I have off) while I am in New Jersey for two weeks.

Tom, Cape Coral, Florida

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
MarauderTJA said:
Thanks Billy. You confirmed the same tires I did. Always good to have a second opinion. And yes, I want to run the Nittos on the front. I have 275 X 17 NT555's on th front of my Mustang and 315's Drag radials on the rear with 10.5 X 17 wheels. The Kazera rims I am getting for the front are 18 X 8.5 so the 255's should look good and handle well. I have been real happy with the Nitto's. Nice ride, great handlng and good in the rain as well with subtle driving. Hope to hook up with you the end of August or Labor Day weekend (which I have off) while I am in New Jersey for two weeks.

Tom, Cape Coral, Florida
Tom, does my memory serve me right? I think I remember recently reading somewhere that your car was dynoed at 500 HP to the wheels. Is that true? If so, I wasn't aware of that originally. That's 100 HP more than my car is puting down at the wheels, and I don't have a chance. If your car is puting 100 more HP at the wheels, then something is very wrong if you didn't beat my car by atleast 3 or 4 tenths of a second. You must have some mods that I didn't know about. Do you have a multi-position chip that includes a race gas tune?

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
BillyGman said:
Tom, does my memory serve me right? I think I remember recently reading somewhere that your car was dynoed at 500 HP to the wheels. Is that true? If so, I wasn't aware of that originally. That's 100 HP more than my car is puting down at the wheels, and I don't have a chance. If your car is puting 100 more HP at the wheels, then something is very wrong if you didn't beat my car by atleast 3 or 4 tenths of a second. You must have some mods that I didn't know about. Do you have a multi-position chip that includes a race gas tune?

Billy, the car had a high dyno run of 510 RWHP but was recently re-tuned to 485 RWHP at 12 lbs of boost with Scott Beer at Diablosport last Saturday. I had to change out the fuel pump and put in a dual Cobra fuel pump to allow a safer tune. Previously, based on Scott's recommendation, I added 60 lb injectors, MAfia mass air extender, exhaust and a 3000 Speed PI Stallion Tq Convertor with a tranny upgrade. Scott spent a total of 10 hours on my car on the dyno (20 pulls) getting it tuned to where it is now. Needless to say, I am extremely happy. I use a Diablosport Predator Tuner. No 100 octane gas tune yet, but it is forthcoming so I can download it at the track from the Predator. I am trying to get everything in order for the upcoming November, Southern Super Heavy Weight Shootout at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, Georgia. A lot of MM's from around the country are going to this race along with about 10 of us here in Florida. It is suppose to be a great event for Impala SS's, MK VIII's, MM's and other over 4000 lb cars.

Tom

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
MarauderTJA said:
Billy, the car had a high dyno run of 510 RWHP but was recently re-tuned to 485 RWHP at 12 lbs of boost with Scott Beer at Diablosport last Saturday. I had to change out the fuel pump and put in a dual Cobra fuel pump to allow a safer tune. Previously, based on Scott's recommendation, I added 60 lb injectors, MAfia mass air extender, exhaust and a 3000 Speed PI Stallion Tq Convertor with a tranny upgrade. Scott spent a total of 10 hours on my car on the dyno (20 pulls) getting it tuned to where it is now. Needless to say, I am extremely happy. I use a Diablosport Predator Tuner. No 100 octane gas tune yet, but it is forthcoming so I can download it at the track from the Predator. I am trying to get everything in order for the upcoming November, Southern Super Heavy Weight Shootout at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, Georgia. A lot of MM's from around the country are going to this race along with about 10 of us here in Florida. It is suppose to be a great event for Impala SS's, MK VIII's, MM's and other over 4000 lb cars.

Tom
Okay Tom. Thanks for the heads up. your car sounds like a monster. I wish you the best against the Imapala SS guys. But as I've stated before on the Marauder board, I've raced them before, and I think that when it comes to any "quick 8", or "shootout" finals, or any other type of heads-up competition with the Imapala SS guys, the deck has been stacked against us in those events, and favor the Impala cars, because they shouldn't be allowed any power adders in heads-up racing against Marauders that only have one power adder since we have a 70 cubic inch deficet.

And if they have one power adder, then they should only be allowed to run up against Marauders that have two power adders. That's how it was in some events when the Marauders first came out, and then they changed things in their favor, so my guess is that they must have been getting beat, and they wanted to make sure that they didn't in the futire. :rolleyes:

Smokie

Established Member
BillyGman said:
Okay Tom. Thanks for the heads up. your car sounds like a monster. I wish you the best against the Imapala SS guys. But as I've stated before on the Marauder board, I've raced them before, and I think that when it comes to any "quick 8", or "shootout" finals, or any other type of heads-up competition with the Imapala SS guys, the deck has been stacked against us in those events, and favor the Impala cars, because they shouldn't be allowed any power adders in heads-up racing against Marauders that only have one power adder since we have a 70 cubic inch deficet.

And if they have one power adder, then they should only be allowed to run up against Marauders that have two power adders. That's how it was in some events when the Marauders first came out, and then they changed things in their favor, so my guess is that they must have been getting beat, and they wanted to make sure that they didn't in the futire. :rolleyes:

I know that you have a highly competetive nature, I don't question your statements about the Marauder having a significant cubic inch disadvantage, in bracket racing is irrelevant.

I also know Billy that you appreciate the truth no matter how ugly, the SS guys allow us to participate in "their" event, we closed the door on competition at "our" event.

I will go to the Shootout and have a great time with my friends and the truth is I really don't care about "winning" anything. Don't get me wrong Billy, there was a time in my life when winning meant everything....I am very happy to report that is no longer the case...being there with my wife and friends...that's how I win now. :-D

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Smokie said:
I know that you have a highly competetive nature, I don't question your statements about the Marauder having a significant cubic inch disadvantage, in bracket racing is irrelevant.

I also know Billy that you appreciate the truth no matter how ugly, the SS guys allow us to participate in "their" event, we closed the door on competition at "our" event.

I will go to the Shootout and have a great time with my friends and the truth is I really don't care about "winning" anything. Don't get me wrong Billy, there was a time in my life when winning meant everything....I am very happy to report that is no longer the case...being there with my wife and friends...that's how I win now. :-D
Smokie, if you read my post again, you'll see that I said that I was talking about "heads-up" racing which is NOT bracket racing. And most of those events include heads-up racing, particulatly for some of the final rounds. So the cubic inch disadvantage is NOT "irrelavent" as you've stated. In fact, I was speaking from experience based on one of their events in which I did race against them.

And BTW, if it didn't matter who wins, then they wouldn't be giving out trophies. :poke:

Last edited:

Smokie

Established Member
Billy, I know you meant heads-up racing, just like you know I meant that in bracket racing the displacement is irrelevant. I also know you competed in events were the rules were stacked against your car.

You can choose not to participate at all because the rules put your car at a disadvantage, or you can bring to the table the best you have and let the chips fall were they may, people that know cars do understand about the cubic inch disadvantage and can appreciate a fast car no matter who made it.

I recall in the SS forums you recieved kudos from more than one SS guy....caused you showed up and hauled ass. :)

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
BillyGman said:
Smokie, if you read my post again, you'll see that I said that I was talking about "heads-up" racing which is NOT bracket racing. And most of those events include heads-up racing, particulatly for some of the final rounds. So the cubic inch disadvantage is NOT "irrelavent" as you've stated. In fact, I was speaking from experience based on one of their events in which I did race against them.

And BTW, if it didn't matter who wins, then they wouldn't be giving out trophies. :poke:

Billy, did you go to this event in Georgia in the past, or was it a simlar event in NJ or New england? In reading the information on the Southern Super Heavyweight Shootout it appears on the surface to be pretty fair in the rules. We are lacking in the C.I. department against them, but who knows, am going for the fun of it, and possibly a trophy. Gotta represent the Marauders.

TOM

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Javier, I guess we just look at this differently. No problem bud.

Tom, I raced against them for one of their smaller events which they titled "The Marauders & Crown Vics vs. the Impalas"....

many of the Impala SS guys are good people, and really cool to talk to, but I found that the guys who seem to be in charge of the events are the ones who refuse to even tell you what they did to their cars, and they're very serious about racing. Either way, I still think that pitting two types of cars against each other that weigh about the same from the factory, without giving a handicap rule for the benefit of the one with a considerably smaller engine is NOT realistic nor fair in a heds-up competition which is often what the eliminations include ( heads-up racing between the winners of all the classes).

The Impala SS cars will mop the track with the Marauders in any heads up racing given the same degree of modidications w/out a handicap given .But I think that some Marauder owners are in denial about that.

Last edited:

Smokie

Established Member
BillyGman said:
The Impala SS cars will mop the track with the Marauders in any heads up racing given the same degree of modidications w/out a handicap given .But I think that some Marauder owners are in denial about that.

Billy, we're cool :) . You are right, many SS guys are extremely serious about their racing and with equal mods we sure as hell are in the hole before the race even starts.

As far as I know there are only four 11 second Marauders. There are many 11 sec. Impalas, there are 10 sec. Impalas and I believe one 9 sec Impala.

Maybe in about 7 years or so, the odds will be a little more even.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Smokie said:
Billy, we're cool :) . You are right, many SS guys are extremely serious about their racing and with equal mods we sure as hell are in the hole before the race even starts.

As far as I know there are only four 11 second Marauders. There are many 11 sec. Impalas, there are 10 sec. Impalas and I believe one 9 sec Impala.

Maybe in about 7 years or so, the odds will be a little more even.
Don't get me wrong. I'd much rather have a Marauder, since I think they're a lot cooler looking cars on the outside as well as the inside, and they probably handle a lot better than the Impalas ever did. But as far as performance goes.....well, here's a typical example......

Glen (aka "Stumpy") has a slightly higher stall speed (just like I have on my car),3.70 gears in the rear, ported cylinder heads, and an after market camshaft on his N/A engine that's in his Impala. And with that N/A engined car, he's running the same ET's as I am with 4.56 gears, an intercooled supercharger pumping out 9.5 PSI of boost, and headers.

IMO, you can put whatever cams you want in your Marauder engine, and have all the porting work done to the cylinder heads too. But as long as the engine is N/A, you won't get it to run low 12's in the quartermile unless you take a lot of weight off of it (about 500 LBS)..

Last edited:

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
BillyGman said:

Tom, I raced against them for one of their smaller events which they titled "The Marauders & Crown Vics vs. the Impalas"....

many of the Impala SS guys are good people, and really cool to talk to, but I found that the guys who seem to be in charge of the events are the ones who refuse to even tell you what they did to their cars, and they're very serious about racing. Either way, I still think that pitting two types of cars against each other that weigh about the same from the factory, without giving a handicap rule for the benefit of the one with a considerably smaller engine is NOT realistic nor fair in a heds-up competition which is often what the eliminations include ( heads-up racing between the winners of all the classes).

I hear ya Billy. There is a greater cubic inch difference in the cars. But either way I going to give it my best. The event should be a lot of fun. We Marauder guys will gain some respect, that I am sure.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
MarauderTJA said:
I hear ya Billy. There is a greater cubic inch difference in the cars. But either way I going to give it my best. The event should be a lot of fun. We Marauder guys will gain some respect, that I am sure.
True. I wish you the best Thomas. Please let us know how you do when that day comes.

Users who are viewing this thread