Dealer totals GT 500

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Someone who gets it. I'm still LOL'ing at the people who are trying to push the pain and suffering agenda.

I'm LOL'ing at the people that say he got more than what he should have and it is fair.

So, let me get this straight. You drove my car, totaled it, and only gave me what I paid for it. You didn't account that I put thousands of extras in which you keep the car and don't give me my extra's back that I paid for. Are you telling me that is right? You get to destroy what someone worked for and put a lot of heart into and say here some money, have a good day?

You are saying that if your most prized car was destroyed, you'd be completely happy at getting what you paid for the car back and wouldn't be upset and that would be good enough? Forget the extras and hard work you put into it. It's no big deal. You got some of your money back.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
What pain and suffering? He was not injured. He got paid for the depreciated value of the car plus plenty more which basically covers the 8k in mods.

They did not illegally drive his car. He took it in for transmission service, and they wrecked it on a test drive. Granted someone was obviously driving the car too hard. When you take the car in for service you are agreeing to let them drive the car as necessary to diagnose and trouble shoot.

Yes, you are agreeing to let them drive and diagnose the car. Not race the ****ing thing and wreck. Where does it say that they are allowed to take your car that you paid for and beat the shit out of it, race it at high speeds, etc? That is unlawful in itself to do that (Race it above speed limits, etc.)

How do you figure it was fair? What if this GT500 had less than 10K miles? Fair market value would be upper 30's considering they still go for low 30's with 30K+ Miles. At this point, this is all speculation. However, the dealership did more than test drive to diagnose further issues. They raced the car on the street and totaled it. How the F is that "legal" ???????????????????????????????????????

That's not normal. I've had 3 highly modified cars totaled, and anything that was attached/bolted to the vehicle I could not remove. ie stereo deck/wheels/lights. I got to unplug my subs but that's it.

My 07 GT had 13K in damages and the insurance company gave us the option to either keep the parts or reimburse us. We chose reimbursement. This included a Supercharger, Exhaust, some engine accessories, etc. Not exactly an "Intake/Tune" car. This was through State Farm, FYI.

If you have parts covered on your insurance plan, you WILL be reimbursed for those parts. Depending on the insurance company, they will most likely offer fair reimbursement or allow you to take the parts back. Again, that varies, but, is not far from a normal thing.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Modifications do not increase value.

Guy got what the insurance came up with in terms of the cars current market value. This is how the world works.

Im sure he, like most, thought he was sitting on a $60k gold mine, but good luck with that when the real world hits you.

Its a '10 GT500, he would probably be lucky to get what, $30k-35k at this point? A $38k check is not bad at all.

Zemedici

Established Member
My 07 GT had 13K in damages and the insurance company gave us the option to either keep the parts or reimburse us. We chose reimbursement. This included a Supercharger, Exhaust, some engine accessories, etc. Not exactly an "Intake/Tune" car. This was through State Farm, FYI.

If you have parts covered on your insurance plan, you WILL be reimbursed for those parts. Depending on the insurance company, they will most likely offer fair reimbursement or allow you to take the parts back. Again, that varies, but, is not far from a normal thing.

Most insurance agencies include a minute amount (something like $500 or so) of modifications for free in your policy. Any more than that, you have to disclose to the insurance agency, and your premium will go up, as the car's 'agreed value' goes up, etc. This is how its been for 4 of my past insurance agencies.

However, they just offered to pay me for the modifications as long as I had receipts, I wouldn't get the parts back. Nor would I really want them.

And guys, lets be honest. You don't get fifty cents on the dollar back on mods the majority of the time. You do it for the pleasure of doing it and the gains, not as a financial investment.

Modifications do not increase value.

Guy got what the insurance came up with in terms of the cars current market value. This is how the world works.

Im sure he, like most, thought he was sitting on a $60k gold mine, but good luck with that when the real world hits you.

Its a '10 GT500, he would probably be lucky to get what, $30k-35k at this point? A $38k check is not bad at all.

This x 65000

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Yes, you are agreeing to let them drive and diagnose the car. Not race the ****ing thing and wreck. Where does it say that they are allowed to take your car that you paid for and beat the shit out of it, race it at high speeds, etc? That is unlawful in itself to do that (Race it above speed limits, etc.)

How do you figure it was fair? What if this GT500 had less than 10K miles? Fair market value would be upper 30's considering they still go for low 30's with 30K+ Miles. At this point, this is all speculation. However, the dealership did more than test drive to diagnose further issues. They raced the car on the street and totaled it. How the F is that "legal"

1) prove the dealership employee raced the car at all. We all know there are plenty of employees that would be more than willing to put a high performance car through the paces on a test drive, but there is zero evidence of that. Accidents do happen when you are abiding by all speed limits, etc. Even if you could prove that the guy raced the car through the streets, there is nothing anyone can do about it, and it doesn't add to the value you should get back.

2) I looked up a 2008 shelby gt500 coupe with 10k miles on the clock (didn't fiddle with options) on both kbb and NADA and they both came up with a price of 33k.

3) Mods don't increase the value of a car.

AAG

Established Member
I'm LOL'ing at the people that say he got more than what he should have and it is fair.

So, let me get this straight. You drove my car, totaled it, and only gave me what I paid for it. You didn't account that I put thousands of extras in which you keep the car and don't give me my extra's back that I paid for. Are you telling me that is right? You get to destroy what someone worked for and put a lot of heart into and say here some money, have a good day?

You are saying that if your most prized car was destroyed, you'd be completely happy at getting what you paid for the car back and wouldn't be upset and that would be good enough? Forget the extras and hard work you put into it. It's no big deal. You got some of your money back.

I haven't been on the Martketplace in while on here, but modded GT500s like his were going for about the same value. I dont understand how you think almost $40k for a 7 year old GT500 isn't a fair settlement.

Do you think his insurance company was going to pay him any better? Unless he had an agreed value policy for X amount of dollars, the owner made out good.

Last edited:

LS2GTO

Established Member
When you take the car in for service you are agreeing to let them drive the car as necessary

I wouldn't consider "driving into a wall" as falling under the agreement you gave by bringing in the car for service.

And suffering does not necessarily mean from pain. When something that you love was taken away from you for an extended period of time and you cannot use that now or ever, that can be called suffering. If you don't think so, hold still and let me rip off your arm (while under anesthesia of course so you don't feel any pain). You don't need 2 arms anyway right? You can do with just 1.

I've had 3 highly modified cars totaled, and anything that was attached/bolted to the vehicle I could not remove. ie stereo deck/wheels/lights. I got to unplug my subs but that's it.

Until you agree to a value and receive compensation from the insurance company the vehicle is still 100% yours (given that you have the title). Until then, you are free to remove and replace whatever the heck you want on that car, not a single person on this planet can tell you otherwise. Plus, the insurance company does not necessarily know to look for aftermarket mods, so if you have a blower on the car but then take it off and replace it with the OEM intake manifold then give the car away the insurance company is not going to say "hey where's that blower?". Now if you take off the blower but don't replace it with what came stock, then yeah they're going to ask you where's the rest of the car.

I never had trouble with such and unfortunately I've gone through 2 instances of cars being totaled that had parts on them that I wanted to keep. Both times I took them off privately and restored the cars to stock and then handed over the vehicle to the insurance company. Nobody ever said a peep, as the both instances the cars worked and functioned 100% like stock (which is what I was insuring the car for anyway, so they got back exactly what I had paid for in premiums and what they had paid me back in claim check).

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I wouldn't consider "driving into a wall" as falling under the agreement you gave by bringing in the car for service.

And suffering does not necessarily mean from pain. When something that you love was taken away from you for an extended period of time and you cannot use that now or ever, that can be called suffering. If you don't think so, hold still and let me rip off your arm (while under anesthesia of course so you don't feel any pain). You don't need 2 arms anyway right? You can do with just 1.

Are you really comparing losing a car to losing a limb?

Blackoyote

Established Member
Considering the fact that the mods 'don't add value' to the vehicle per dealerships and insurance companies, they should never have a problem with the owner removing said modifications.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Are you really comparing losing a car to losing a limb?

While in this instance I am, who are you to tell me or another person what they consider valuable to them and what can or cannot cause suffering?

Point is, this item of his was taken away from him by the neglicence of another person. And while he was reinbursed for the value of the that item, does not change the fact that he is now not able to use that item ever. To him, he'd rather have his car back than 39k, so that value of money does not fully compensate him for his loss.

Zemedici

Established Member
Until you agree to a value and receive compensation from the insurance company the vehicle is still 100% yours (given that you have the title). Until then, you are free to remove and replace whatever the heck you want on that car, not a single person on this planet can tell you otherwise. Plus, the insurance company does not necessarily know to look for aftermarket mods, so if you have a blower on the car but then take it off and replace it with the OEM intake manifold then give the car away the insurance company is not going to say "hey where's that blower?". Now if you take off the blower but don't replace it with what came stock, then yeah they're going to ask you where's the rest of the car.

I never had trouble with such and unfortunately I've gone through 2 instances of cars being totaled that had parts on them that I wanted to keep. Both times I took them off privately and restored the cars to stock and then handed over the vehicle to the insurance company. Nobody ever said a peep, as the both instances the cars worked and functioned 100% like stock (which is what I was insuring the car for anyway, so they got back exactly what I had paid for in premiums and what they had paid me back in claim check).

I can understand that but in all my instances the car was in a tow yard (none were driveable) and I wasn't gonna bring tools to take my wheels etc off, plus I didn't have the stock stuff to put back on.

LS2GTO

Established Member
I can understand that but in all my instances the car was in a tow yard (none were driveable) and I wasn't gonna bring tools to take my wheels etc off, plus I didn't have the stock stuff to put back on.

That's understandable, at that point it would be more of a hassle to buy stuff and return the car back to stock than what you would get for mods.

In my instances, both cars were heavily modded so I wasn't about to let 10-15k worth of parts go to waste. Heck, the car itself was worth less than what I had in mods. So it was worth it to take the car out of the yards, hunt the web for used OEM parts and do the work to return the car back to stock before giving it away. Not like those insurance companies work quick or anything, I had plenty of time to do all this while they were figuring out what my car was worth. Even then, between all the back and forth negotiating on the price I had the bone stock cars sitting around for days.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
if he truly loved his car then he should be compensated for his loss of consortium. :(

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
That's not normal. I've had 3 highly modified cars totaled, and anything that was attached/bolted to the vehicle I could not remove. ie stereo deck/wheels/lights. I got to unplug my subs but that's it.

Depends on the company.

Progressive had no problem with me removing anything of "personal value" when our tiburon was wrecked. Was tempted to do full part out right there, "lets see, this motor has personal value, this transmission, oh these wheels I hold dear to me".....

When my buddy wrecked his moderately modified 06 WRX, Gieco told him "anything removed in terms of parts needs to have the factory replacement in the trunk" for when they auction it off. Yes, he did find a junkyard tranny to throw in the trunk so he could pull his built tranny out and sell it off lol, as well as throwing my mitsu t25 in there and yanking his subie 20g. The trunk was literally a parts bin at that point, most of which didnt work or were from other cars that nobody would be the wiser.

AAG

Established Member
Should have refused the check and taken them to court.

U.M.

That would be waste of attorney fees. The dealer provided a settlement more than fair (book value and then some) and the judge would rule in favor.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

this guy gets it. seems most others dont

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Someone who gets it. I'm still LOL'ing at the people who are trying to push the pain and suffering agenda.

Agreed. The guy came out alright.

He spent 8K on "performance modifications." Yeah, define that. Exhaust parts don't hold their value. There's no value to the labor if that 8K counts what he paid a shop to bolt on headers. Same goes for a tune, or dyno time.

I don't track Shelby's values, but 39K seems pretty fair for me.

Users who are viewing this thread