Dealer totals GT 500

SHOdown220

Established Member
At my dealer if you (an employee) damage a customers car you are liable for half of the bill and the dealer picks up the rest.... that would hurt to chock up 20 grand

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Any chance they'd let him pull parts off it first - the $39k plus yanking some of the go-fast goodies might help to ease his pain.

NinjaBum

Established Member
If I total my own car I don't get what I paid for it, I get what it is worth and maybe some cash for mods.

What do they mean he paid 2500 in service fees? Certainly he didn't find out it was totalled and go in to pay them 2500 bucks, so he is totalling up 2500 in past service costs? Since when do you get those back? Why isn't he adding up the cash he has spent on gas and water to wash his car into his valuation as well?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If I total my own car I don't get what I paid for it, I get what it is worth and maybe some cash for mods.

What do they mean he paid 2500 in service fees? Certainly he didn't find out it was totalled and go in to pay them 2500 bucks, so he is totalling up 2500 in past service costs? Since when do you get those back? Why isn't he adding up the cash he has spent on gas and water to wash his car into his valuation as well?

+1

The law only says you have to be made whole, which means the current value of a 7 year old shelby. You can't include previous service charges. Those Shelbys are going for low to mid 30's it looks like which makes 39k pretty close to fair.

It sucks his car got totaled. No one wants that, but it sounds like this guy is just complaining for the hell of it. The dealership payed up a fair amount without hassle.

Zemedici

Established Member
shit, guy should consider himself lucky. Sometimes shit happens. They could have offered him what the car actually books for, which would be 10k or so less. Gotta be able to roll with the punches

AAG

Established Member
He got $39k for a 2008 GT500? Sounds like he made out good considering that's more than what they go for. That's a nice $39k down payment on a far better '13-14' GT500.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Curious on this - If I buy a car, put 8K in mods to it and have low miles on it. I then take it to a dealer, they total it.

So, technically speaking, They give my 2K more than what I paid for the car, but, keep the car. What abut the 8K in things I BOUGHT WITH MY OWN MONEY that I cannot get back to sell, or put on another car I may purchase?

Insurance companies will allow you to remove aftermarket parts as they are not including them in the fair market value of the car when totaling it out or appraising it. Ask me how I know :)

Same should go for a dealership. They illegally drove this guys car, wrecked it and will not give it back. Instead, they give him a couple grand more than what he paid, but, he is losing the thousands of dollars in extra's the dealer is now getting. So, if you do the math, he is only getting about 31,000 back if you consider what he put in the car.

If you illegally drive/abuse my car and wreck it, I will hire a lawyer and get the full amount out. You didn't give the tech or the dealer permission to drive your car at most likely high speeds, beat on it and wreck it. If you total your own car, that is different, It is your property, you do with it what you will.

Granted, 39K is more than fair. But, what about pain/suffering, he lost a car he loved and has to find a new one. All of the money invested is gone. I think the dealer gave him that amount to try and cover their ass. They know they were wrong.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Should have installed the valet tune, any time I took my car in for warranty work or an issue I couldn't figure out that tune was tossed on.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Curious on this - If I buy a car, put 8K in mods to it and have low miles on it. I then take it to a dealer, they total it.

So, technically speaking, They give my 2K more than what I paid for the car, but, keep the car. What abut the 8K in things I BOUGHT WITH MY OWN MONEY that I cannot get back to sell, or put on another car I may purchase?

Insurance companies will allow you to remove aftermarket parts as they are not including them in the fair market value of the car when totaling it out or appraising it. Ask me how I know :)

Same should go for a dealership. They illegally drove this guys car, wrecked it and will not give it back. Instead, they give him a couple grand more than what he paid, but, he is losing the thousands of dollars in extra's the dealer is now getting. So, if you do the math, he is only getting about 31,000 back if you consider what he put in the car.

If you illegally drive/abuse my car and wreck it, I will hire a lawyer and get the full amount out. You didn't give the tech or the dealer permission to drive your car at most likely high speeds, beat on it and wreck it. If you total your own car, that is different, It is your property, you do with it what you will.

Granted, 39K is more than fair. But, what about pain/suffering, he lost a car he loved and has to find a new one. All of the money invested is gone. I think the dealer gave him that amount to try and cover their ass. They know they were wrong.

What pain and suffering? He was not injured. He got paid for the depreciated value of the car plus plenty more which basically covers the 8k in mods.

They did not illegally drive his car. He took it in for transmission service, and they wrecked it on a test drive. Granted someone was obviously driving the car too hard. When you take the car in for service you are agreeing to let them drive the car as necessary to diagnose and trouble shoot.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member

That's not normal. I've had 3 highly modified cars totaled, and anything that was attached/bolted to the vehicle I could not remove. ie stereo deck/wheels/lights. I got to unplug my subs but that's it.

musclefan21

Established Member
He should be getting more than that in my opinion. The value of the car along with the value of that guys mods, time, pain and suffering in this whole ordeal.

AAG

Established Member
What pain and suffering? He was not injured. He got paid for the depreciated value of the car plus plenty more which basically covers the 8k in mods.

They did not illegally drive his car. He took it in for transmission service, and they wrecked it on a test drive. Granted someone was obviously driving the car too hard. When you take the car in for service you are agreeing to let them drive the car as necessary to diagnose and trouble shoot.

Someone who gets it. I'm still LOL'ing at the people who are trying to push the pain and suffering agenda.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Are there some pictures missing from that article? It doesn't look totaled to me.

Users who are viewing this thread