Dealer dawged me

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
I was on Craigslist and saw a bike I really wanted. I called and made an offer. They called back and countered. A few hours later I called and accepted giving them my debit card so they could take a deposit.

I get a call, at least an hour later, from the salesman saying he had bad news. The bike had already been sold for list price. Too bad, so sorry.

I thought for a bit then called back asking for the sales manager. When I explained he said the salesman told him he tried to run my card against that bike but that it was immediately spit out because of a previous deal.

I knew what he said was bullshit and told him so. I later looked and saw that they did successfully debit my account for the deposit then later credit it which proved what the SM said was a lie. It was obvious to me they later found someone who would pay full price so they pulled this shit. All for $500.

This bike is a bit unusual, especially the way it was set up - exactly what I was looking for. What, if any, action can I take? I'd love to take them to court, even if it's just small claims. What they did was as slimy as it gets and it kills me to think they can get away with it.

Last edited:

SHOdown220

Established Member
Unfortunately it's how some companies run a business. I can't blame them though, $500 is $500 and whoever comes up with the money first gets it. They didn't keep your deposit so there isn't anything more to do here except move on and keep looking.

*edit* on second thought, any dealer who advertises on Craigslist probably isn't worth a damn.

Last edited:

lucheski

Established Member
So the stealership didn't keep their word, but they gave your deposit money back right away. I think you're doing well man, plenty of other fish in the sea. I'd move on

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It sounds like a weekend plan. Go check out the other dealerships. Or better yet, get all the paperwork done on one of their bikes in the store and at the last minute refuse to sign, just because and no other reason. Walk out and get a good night sleep.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Move on. It is not worth getting yourself worked up for. Unless you had a signed contract that you purchased it, you are out of luck.

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
It sounds like a weekend plan. Go check out the other dealerships. Or better yet, get all the paperwork done on one of their bikes in the store and at the last minute refuse to sign, just because and no other reason. Walk out and get a good night sleep.

I sorta like this one. There's a Shilo Inn grandfathered into having a Cigar Bar that I like to visit and very close to these ****ers. Wife wanted to do some tax-free shopping so maybe we'll make it a weekend event.

10splaya22

Established Member
They gave you your money back, I don't see how you can be upset. If you wanted it that badly you could have paid full price

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

this. but, when you're about to sign, have your wife call you and chat for a minute. then hang up and tell the sales guy that another dealer just called with a better offer and leave

make sure you get the same sales guy who took your deposit, otherwise you're just messing with some poor guy lol.

Last edited:

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
this. but, when you're about to sign, have your wife call you and chat for a minute. then hang up and tell the sales guy that another dealer just called with a better offer and leave

hahaha, cruel yet deserving.

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
More and more women are looking for motorcycles these days.. huh?

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
They gave you your money back, I don't see how you can be upset. If you wanted it that badly you could have paid full price

moot point considering they accepted his offer.

its not worth your time to fight this. its wrong but theyre going to get away with it unfortunately. im sorry dude.

jf4boogie

Established Member
moot point considering they accepted his offer.

its not worth your time to fight this. its wrong but theyre going to get away with it unfortunately. im sorry dude.

Not really. When the other guy called or showed up and was interested they would have told him/her it was sold (at full price mind you) and a deposit had been taken.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This stuff unfortunately happens all the time. If you didn't sign a contract locking you into the sale, the dealer can accept a higher bid. Ethical? Not really, but it's legal. At least you know now that you'll not do business with that particular dealer again. Keep looking for your desired bike. It will come!

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
This stuff unfortunately happens all the time. If you didn't sign a contract locking you into the sale, the dealer can accept a higher bid. Ethical? Not really, but it's legal. At least you know now that you'll not do business with that particular dealer again. Keep looking for your desired bike. It will come!

This is the reality money shot post.

Jack Burton

Established Member

Sounds to me that they entered into a contract due to the "offer and acceptance" that had taken place. There are varying degrees to contract law.

A lawyer would be a much better person to clear this up and could probably give a clear answer pretty quickly. Times like this is when I miss having Adam around as I'm sure he would have the answer right off the top of his head. :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread