Dash Cams

roadracer247

Established Member
Do you use one? If so, any recommendations? Debating about getting a dash cam lately as it seems like drivers are getting more and more aggressive on the roads. I wanna protect my liability a bit...

El_Joker

Established Member
I've had one for about 5 years now. Well worth it. Lady clipped me, and while she took responsibility, her insurance (Progressive) tried to fight me and say it was my fault. Showed the footage and end of drama.

I have them front and rear now. If in a hot environment, will want to consider a capacitor model. While cheap, I've had good luck with -
Make sure to get a SD card made for constant recording. And plan to replace periodically anyway as they wear out with use.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I think everyone should have one. I keep meaning to buy one but never get around to it. Needless to say if I had one I wouldn’t extremely high insurance payments right now.

Blown 89

Established Member
Are there any that capture 360 degree video and run while parked with the car off? I was literally logging in to start this very thread

jaxbusa

Established Member
I’ve had several and you get what you pay for. I would recommend a unit that has front and rear cameras. What state do you live in?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Just got a door ding in the Wench’s ‘18 Fusion Sport. I’d like something other than me standing guard with a bat to capture these inconsiderate MFRs. Someone above asked about 360 video coverage.....

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Are there any that capture 360 degree video and run while parked with the car off? I was literally logging in to start this very thread
There are a few 360 camera's out there (Waylens is one), but they are usually bulky and don't provide the best video quality.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a Garmin Dash Cam 55 that's hardwired in for the parking mode. Great camera that I'd certainly recommend. I had issues with the 45, but the 55 is worth the extra money and has been flawless.
Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8e3WihJbwPFXL4hp6
Short vid testing the polarised filter. You can view others if you want.
The polarized filter works really well. Thanks for posting that video.

I see that Garmin has a 65 model that offers a 180 degree view. What do you think about that one (wide angle) vs. the 55 which has a more narrow view?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just researched some of the recommended models with Google/Amazon and it seems the Apeman C860 is highest rated. Includes front and rear cameras. I'll have to research this more later on today. I think it's near time for me to get one.

CV355

_
Established Member
So how do these work? Constant record or hit a button when an incident occurs and it saves the last X minutes? I’ve always been curious.

The road my neighborhood dumps out onto is full of idiots that drive on the wrong side of the road. Thought about making a Youtube channel called “You dumb ****” and dedicate it to the idiots that spend their time in the wrong lane

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
The polarized filter works really well. Thanks for posting that video.

I see that Garmin has a 65 model that offers a 180 degree view. What do you think about that one (wide angle) vs. the 55 which has a more narrow view?
I don't have personal experience with it, but when I was researching, I wasn't a fan of the "fishbowl" view it provided. The one thing I like about the Garmin units is they use a magnetic mount. When we take the wife's car on longer road trips, I can easily move my camera over to her car since I already have it wired up. I'll be picking another Garmin 55 so she can have one permanently.

So how do these work? Constant record or hit a button when an incident occurs and it saves the last X minutes? I’ve always been curious.

The road my neighborhood dumps out onto is full of idiots that drive on the wrong side of the road. Thought about making a Youtube channel called “You dumb ****” and dedicate it to the idiots that spend their time in the wrong lane
Typically, they are constant recording when powered on and once the storage is maxed out, they'll loop, or record over the older data. I have a 64gb memory stick in mine, so I get several hours of recording. On the Garmin unit I have, it's voice activated. So when I want to save something, I tell it to do that and it will save 3 min. I haven't timed it exactly, but when you tell it to save, it'll save about 1 min before and 2 min after (something like that). The 45 unit I had did the same thing, but you had to hold down a button to save and that sucked while driving.

jaxbusa

Established Member
They constantly record. When the memory card is full it starts to write over older videos. Some have an impact sensor that won’t allow the captured video to be written over in crash. Some have a button for saving.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
maybe it's the YouTube upload but I can't read a single tag in the garmin video

I've been thinking about this as well, if nothing else I'll end up with some amusing shit to upload now and then... you see all kinds of shit driving through the hood on a daily basis

Users who are viewing this thread