Daily driver, what would you buy for under $5,000

nighthawk355x

Banned
And to help you decide further, don't even take anyone's word on ANYTHING, not even mine.

Everyone has their opinions, people are saying explorers/hondas/jeeps/caravans/etc, here's what you do; go looking on auto shopping websites and see how many of each car mentioned here has 140k+ miles and is still strong running. You'll see that even though some people will argue to death and have had good luck with their "whatever", the majority break and do not last as long. The only 2 from the list that you'll see tons of with 150k-200k miles and still going strong are the 4.0 Cherokee, and basically any Honda.

Last edited:

Mika

Established Member
I sold my '91 LS400 a few months back for $5k. It had 105k on it, and was in pretty decent shape. Only motor problem was the valve cover gaskets leaking. Had some cosmetic problems too(paint scratched from going through 4 hurricanes). Incredibly dependable, good gas mileage(27 mpg on highway), and seated 4 big people(250 lb. range) very comfortably.

LS400 though is going to have miles on it, but those 1UZ-FE are practically bulletproof. Heck, I even ran one without any oil in it for 5 minutes. Stopped it, put oil in it, and started it up. No noises or anything. Ran like a champ. Trannies are pretty good, just gotta keep the fluid changed. The older LS400's are not interference engines. Timing belt breaks, you're stuck on the side of the road. Newer ones, different story. Only negative to those cars are parts are expensive(Toyota).

Mika

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
CleanCobra said:
I gotta disagree based on personal experience.... 4.0 Explorer went from Mom, to Dad, to me, to brother - took a beating from all but my Mom, and has had NO problems... NONE! Most reliable car we've ever had - still going strong w/ over 200,000 Mi.

I agree the 4.0 OHC is GARBAGE, the 4.0 OHV especially the 95+ were damn bulletproof. My 99 exploder 5.0 awd turned 150k miles today, trouble free

I always recomend GM FWD 3.8 cars as cheap, reliable fuel pinching daily drivers.

Jeep's part or full time 4wd are damn good, the 4.0 318 and 360 are tough as nails and go a ton of miles. And early chrysler mini vans did have some trans woes but with the 3.0 mitsu those things ran forever. Who would want one of these for a daily driver tho unless they were transporting like 12 kids every day ?

Fourcam330

Established Member
CleanCobra said:
I gotta disagree based on personal experience.... 4.0 Explorer went from Mom, to Dad, to me, to brother - took a beating from all but my Mom, and has had NO problems... NONE! Most reliable car we've ever had - still going strong w/ over 200,000 Mi.

Ask any Ford service manager/tech about their experiences with the 4.0L and they will mirror my comments. Consider yourself lucky.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
It would be a Crown Victoria w/ the HPP. You can't beat it for decent power, handling, comfort, safety, features, durability, longevity, etc. Just an all-around good car that is so underappreciated nowadays.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
How about a mid 90s Subaru Impreza/Outback/thing. AWD and you can get them with ~60K miles for five grand.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
My 93 Jeep GC, lasted 200k on the 4.0 straight six, but it only got 14mpg.

I would suggest a mid 90's toyota pickup or SUV, or a cammry or accord.

The GM 3800 V6 is bullet proof so if you got a car with that you won't have any engine trouble.

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
If it was me I would definatly keep my out for some older 85'-96' ish Toyota Hilux/Tacoma trucks, they run forever and are real tough. I also agree with some of the people about Rangers also, they get real good ratings from consumerreports and are handy as well. You get the bed for hauling things, the 4x4 if necessary, decent fuel economy, and midsize pickups are some of the easiest to insure.

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
One of the best suggestions so far is definetly the Jeep Cherokee [XJ] platform. Those things freakin run for ever. I had a 91 as my first car when i was 18 and I still have the truck. The battery is dead right now but tiw ould start right up now if were not for that. I totally reglected the truck to.. oil changes every 20k miles, lol.. i was horrible to it and it still just kept right on going. The only thign I ever had fail on me was the alternator at 168k. As of now, she's got almost 200k on it.

Fantastic trucks Get one!

ModMike1572

Established Member
Well it seems your best bet is the honda or jeep.

If your just trying to get 30+mpg's and dont really care about anything else than you should prob consider the hondas.

If you want decent gas mileage and 4wd, then go for a jeep. Very reliable. Stay away from the AWD, they get a couple mpg's worse than the 4WD, and are known to have some problems.
But i currently own a grand cherokee 4wd, im getting 18mpg, its fun to drive with a sun roof, plenty of power with the reliable inline 6, and of course the 4wd in case i need it.
Dont get me wrong the hondas are nice, but you gotta live a little.. I could have gotten a honda instead, but a little worse gas mileage was ok with me. If i was so worried about just gas mileage i would get one of those 45mpg jettas or something in that category.

ModMike1572

Established Member
Snarf said:
One of the best suggestions so far is definetly the Jeep Cherokee [XJ] platform. Those things freakin run for ever. I had a 91 as my first car when i was 18 and I still have the truck. The battery is dead right now but tiw ould start right up now if were not for that. I totally reglected the truck to.. oil changes every 20k miles, lol.. i was horrible to it and it still just kept right on going. The only thign I ever had fail on me was the alternator at 168k. As of now, she's got almost 200k on it.

Fantastic trucks Get one!

Ya thats another thing. These things do last forever.
A couple buddys of mine had jeeps a few years back, they would drive those things up mountains, on trails, back and forth to college and more, and they would just keep goin..
If i was looking for a vehicle for under 5 grand, i wouldnt think twice.

kfrg

Banned
"a honda idiot. Care to tell me what reputation they have"

Nice guy, why are you getting so defensive over your shitbox Accord? Oh, I guess because it's your main car, going by "econobox". I was only responding to your comment that driving an Old's is somehow a downgrade as opposed to a skin and bones Accord/Camry, when in fact the GM FWD 3800 powered car's are a better buy for a daily driver/station car.

silver99gt

Banned
SickBlackMach said:
I don't see why you wont consider a Ranger? I have had mine since 99, and have used it hard. 85k on the clock and counting, still running like a champ! The only $ I have sunk into it was the normal, oil, coolant, brake fuild... etc

I just used a little seafoam the other day before the smog check and the tech was really impressed... he said my ranger ran "really clean" :D

I got a 93 with the 4.0L. It now has 197k, and all I've done is the normal also...most reliable vehicle I've owned.

AkronCobra

Established Member
KFRG631 said:
"a honda idiot. Care to tell me what reputation they have"

Nice guy, why are you getting so defensive over your shitbox Accord? Oh, I guess because it's your main car, going by "econobox". I was only responding to your comment that driving an Old's is somehow a downgrade as opposed to a skin and bones Accord/Camry, when in fact the GM FWD 3800 powered car's are a better buy for a daily driver/station car.
Always liked the regal/grand prix/intrigue. Whats the story with the plastic intake manifold leak?

kfrg

Banned
AkronCobra,
This was a problem on N/A L36 (Series II) car's only. The section of the upper intake manifold would degrade over time from the EGR valve, which enclosed it. There is a replacement part available made out of Alum I believe. I have 2 Regal's I use for daily drivers, my '91 with 220K miles has been in the family since new, and has only required preventative maintenance (Besides an alternator). My '96 I just picked up (For $1000 I might add, good overall cond. with only 78K miles) is a solid car. I bought it to replace the '95 I totalled with 150K (Again, family since new, only needed a new A/C compressor, and radiator). This summer im going to get that new UIM for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

svtcobra2k3

Established Member
Mika said:
I sold my '91 LS400 a few months back for $5k. It had 105k on it, and was in pretty decent shape. Only motor problem was the valve cover gaskets leaking. Had some cosmetic problems too(paint scratched from going through 4 hurricanes). Incredibly dependable, good gas mileage(27 mpg on highway), and seated 4 big people(250 lb. range) very comfortably.

LS400 though is going to have miles on it, but those 1UZ-FE are practically bulletproof. Heck, I even ran one without any oil in it for 5 minutes. Stopped it, put oil in it, and started it up. No noises or anything. Ran like a champ. Trannies are pretty good, just gotta keep the fluid changed. The older LS400's are not interference engines. Timing belt breaks, you're stuck on the side of the road. Newer ones, different story. Only negative to those cars are parts are expensive(Toyota).

Mika

Does the Timing belt going give any signs beforehand or does it just go out of the blue and you're screwed?

ryanblacksvt

Established Member
95kobrah said:
98-00 SVT Contour.... i love mine, its not perfect but gets the job done. Got mine for 5,000 out the door.

-fun to drive
-handles great
-great interior
-good looks/dont see one every 5 minutes on the road
-5spd
-quick/surprises alot of cars
-its an SVT

I had a ranger, good for 4X4 in the snow, but not much else....

MYSVTS.jpg

I agree I bought another one for my daily driver, now just to fix it up and I am good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread