Daily driver, what would you buy for under $5,000

stangin'

Established Member
If you had to buy a daily driver, either for yourself, your spouse, your child, or even recommend one to a friend, what would you buy that's under $5,000. If you can be specific about the year and model, that would be a plus. Also explain why you chose this car/truck/jeep.

Thanks.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
I'd probably buy an explorer or a ranger. I have always liked both of them, they seem to last pretty long, and are comfortable, cheap, and usually easy to repair.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
You're in California, so I'd say get yourself a fox body 'vert, put some subframe connectors on, a cat back, and you're set. Either do that or an Explorer.

nighthawk355x

Banned
mjzilinski said:
I'd probably buy an explorer or a ranger. I have always liked both of them, they seem to last pretty long, and are comfortable, cheap, and usually easy to repair.

They're decent but I've seen too many in the shop. We get at least 2 or more a week with some kind of BS problem, and most times it's costly. Like I said, they are nice, but be prepared to fix little annoying bullsh*t problems.

I had $5000 to spend a few months back and picked up a 1998 Jeep Cherokee ("XJ"), they're the best bang for the buck. It's definately one of the nicest and most reliable vehicles I've owned. Had 98k on it and ran like it had 25k. The gas mileage was great, it was all weather capable, all options, comfortable, roomy, tons of luggage space, and just a damn nice truck! Look around and do some research, you'll see for yourself, they're one of the most reliable trucks built. You'll find plenty still for sale with well over 200k miles and they still run like clockwork! Only maintanence you'll be doing to one is basic stuff, tune up, battery, etc.

Just don't buy a GRAND Cherokee! They have an entirely different drivetrain and despite what anyone tells you they're total pieces of sh*t. I've known more people with trans problems in their GC than I can even count! If someone chimes in after this and says "HEY, mine was a great truck!", consider them damn lucky. If you stick with the regular Cherokee with the inline 6 you'll be very satisfied, TRUST ME!

Honda's as always are great cars, but for $5000 you honestly can't get much today. You'll wind up finding one with easily 115-130k miles. And yes, they're super reliable and great on gas, but you have to make damn sure you keep up on certain things like the timing belt changes. If you get one, get the timing belt done right away NO MATTER WHAT(unless the previous owner has receipts for it recently). If it goes kiss your motor goodbye. Anyway, hope this helped. Good luck!:beer:

KICKDOFFTHETOUR

Established Member
Only red-Necks like fox body's sorry T-bolt. I might get in trouble for sayn that here but man are they ugly! I don't see any reason not to get an early model focus....

nighthawk355x

Banned
:dw:...fox stang = redneck?!?! ...then what does that make a focus??:loser: I'd turn gay before I'd consider a focus over ANY mustang!

Like anything else it all depends on what you do to it. If you want to talk redneck go buy a 79 Trans Am and try to outrun smokey.:-D

blk89SC

Do work
Established Member
stangin' said:
If you had to buy a daily driver, either for yourself, your spouse, your child, or even recommend one to a friend, what would you buy that's under $5,000. If you can be specific about the year and model, that would be a plus. Also explain why you chose this car/truck/jeep.

Thanks.
My DD is an 88 tempo L. bought it for 800 CDN, runs great... and the parts are relatively cheap i hear if you are needing to replace them. ive gone 20000kms on thsi thing and not a single mechanical failure yet (170000-190000).

But if you could spend up to 5 grand i'd say a 5L stang (fox)

Adam.L.

Established Member
I'm doing ok with my '94 Bronco. I paid under $3k. Currently it has over 150k miles. Repairs are somewhat frequent but usually cheap and easy. I probably wouldn't own it if I didn't want a 4 wheel drive though.

I'm considering picking up a Kawasaki KLR650 'dual purpose' bike some time this summer. For less than $5k new, 50 mpg, and with off-road capability, it seems like a great toy/daily driver... until it rains or snows of course.

Last edited:

Leeroy697

Established Member
I picked up a 99 gtp 3 weeks ago for 5,300 with 76,000 on it. You could get a regular gt for pretty cheap and they are great running cars.

Last edited:

dogmush

Established Member
Mid 90's F-150 or Ranger. Cheap, versatle, lots of parts, and pretty easy to work on in the drive way.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
T-Bolt said:
You're in California, so I'd say get yourself a fox body 'vert, put some subframe connectors on, a cat back, and you're set. Either do that or an Explorer.
yeah, thats wonderful advice if you love the fact that your car is in the shop more than you drive it:thumbsup:

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
You can pick up a fairly clean reliable '94-'97 Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth mini-van for well under 5K. Lots of room, front wheel drive, cheap parts, decent gas mileage.

Had one as a DD before I got the TrailBlazer. Very cheap and reliable. It was also very handy to have for groups of people wanting to go somewhere (Could seat 7 comfortable) or with the seats out could hold about as much as a Ranger PU

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Yellow2003 said:
You can pick up a fairly clean reliable '94-'97 Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth mini-van for well under 5K. Lots of room, front wheel drive, cheap parts, decent gas mileage.

Had one as a DD before I got the TrailBlazer. Very cheap and reliable. It was also very handy to have for groups of people wanting to go somewhere (Could seat 7 comfortable) or with the seats out could hold about as much as a Ranger PU

Yeah, until you throw the differential pin through the transmission case! Or your trans just shits the bed period. A 90's Chrysler minivan could quite possibly be the worst suggestion yet!

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
SVT F15O said:
Yeah, until you throw the differential pin through the transmission case! Or your trans just shits the bed period. A 90's Chrysler minivan could quite possibly be the worst suggestion yet!

As opposed to all the $5,000 cars that will be perfectly reliable and never break?

Anything for that money is a crap-shoot. And I had good experience with mine, and have seen others have good experience with theirs. If I were buying a 5K DD that's what I'd buy, and hope for the best. That's what the guy asked for.

So what is your DD?

95kobrah

Established Member
98-00 SVT Contour.... i love mine, its not perfect but gets the job done. Got mine for 5,000 out the door.

-fun to drive
-handles great
-great interior
-good looks/dont see one every 5 minutes on the road
-5spd
-quick/surprises alot of cars
-its an SVT

I had a ranger, good for 4X4 in the snow, but not much else....

MYSVTS.jpg

cj3113

King of Controversy
Established Member
SVT F15O said:

90's Chrysler minivans are so reliable it isn't even funny. Don't know where you are getting your information from. A buddy of mine who works at Palmen Motors a local Dodge Dealership had a 96 Dodge Caravan and just replaced it with a Chrysler, he ran the first one up to like 172,000 miles. I personally wouldn't have recommended it, but your post was ignorant.

I'd agree with a mid 90's Cherokee though, seams that they last forever from my experience.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
1992-1997 Thunderbird V8 or S/C.

Had three and they were reliable, comfortable and not too bad on gas.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread