Daily driver, what would you buy for under $5,000

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
Leeroy697 said:
I picked up a 99 gtp 3 weeks ago for 53,000 with 76,000 on it. You could get a regular gt for pretty cheap and they are great running cars.

someone got raped.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I don't see why you wont consider a Ranger? I have had mine since 99, and have used it hard. 85k on the clock and counting, still running like a champ! The only $ I have sunk into it was the normal, oil, coolant, brake fuild... etc

I just used a little seafoam the other day before the smog check and the tech was really impressed... he said my ranger ran "really clean" :D

ModMike1572

Established Member
Def go for the jeep 4x4. I have a 04 grand cherokee 4wd and some friends of mine have older jeeps in the 5k range.

You really can't go wrong with that. Realiable, good gas mileage, comfortable, and practical (roomy).

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
cj3113 said:
90's Chrysler minivans are so reliable it isn't even funny. Don't know where you are getting your information from. A buddy of mine who works at Palmen Motors a local Dodge Dealership had a 96 Dodge Caravan and just replaced it with a Chrysler, he ran the first one up to like 172,000 miles. I personally wouldn't have recommended it, but your post was ignorant.

I'd agree with a mid 90's Cherokee though, seams that they last forever from my experience.

Your friend has been fortunate. My best friend worked at the local dodge dealership, and my parents owned a 91 dodge grand caravan, and while the motor was great, the transmission was NOT. It went through 3 transmissions while we had it, and at least one before we got it. Granted, it had almost 300k by the time we ditched it, but to say that the transmissions in those vans are reliable is a joke at best.

The worst part about the early 90's caravans is that you can't even rebuild the tranny, due to some problem with seal consistancy. This problem was fixed in the later model years, but the early 90's vans have JUNK for transmissions. They also have problems with the ABS systems, and there is a module behind the dash that likes to fail and cause the gauges/power locks to go crazy. The brake failure is covered via dodge regardless of milage(we got ours fixed a couple of times, and the last time the van was pushing 230k) so don't let that bother you to much.

But don't defend the transmissions in those things, they are crap.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Honda Accord. Why anyone would recommend any sort of Jeep that typically gets 16mpg or worse for a DD is beyond me. 4 door honda accord so you have space for your family if need be. Cheap insurance, cheap gas, cheap price. Cant go wrong.

Whizzle

Established Member
94-97 honda accord

one of the most reliable cars ever made. I get 34-36 mpg going 85+ on the interstate

texaswrx

Established Member
Toyota Tercel or Honda. That is what I have always used for daily drivers. Just my opinion. It should not take long for someone to complain about a suggestion for an import.

Neverlift

scotchy scotch scotch
Established Member
Jeep, no doubt!

I bought a 1996 Grand Cherokee limited a few years back and its been great. Powerful, nicely appointed, all-weather drivability, and very roomy.

The Limited edt has all-wheel drive, which drives very well in poor road conditions. I had an expedition w 4WD a few years back and it was scary in the snow. The jeep puts the expo to shame.

lizardbreath

Banned
Matts00GT said:
Honda Accord. Why anyone would recommend any sort of Jeep that typically gets 16mpg or worse for a DD is beyond me. 4 door honda accord so you have space for your family if need be. Cheap insurance, cheap gas, cheap price. Cant go wrong.

pretty much what matt said :)

Whizzle

Established Member
Neverlift said:
Jeep, no doubt!

I bought a 1996 Grand Cherokee limited a few years back and its been great. Powerful, nicely appointed, all-weather drivability, and very roomy.

The Limited edt has all-wheel drive, which drives very well in poor road conditions. I had an expedition w 4WD a few years back and it was scary in the snow. The jeep puts the expo to shame.

the AWD jeeps get the worst gas mileage ive ever seen

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
KFRG631 said:
Anything 3800 powered is a good choice.

Yep. Olds Intrigue (I had one), Buick Regal ... much cheaper than the older Accord/ Camry, and more powerful.

Whizzle

Established Member
CleanCobra said:
much cheaper than the older Accord/ Camry, and more powerful.

Its a lose lose. You pay the same amount for an accord as you would an oldsmobile, but you still drive an oldsmobile:nonono:

Fourcam330

Established Member
mjzilinski said:
I'd probably buy an explorer or a ranger. I have always liked both of them, they seem to last pretty long, and are comfortable, cheap, and usually easy to repair.

The cologne 4.0L V6 is a boat anchor and overall a piece of shit.

cj3113

King of Controversy
Established Member
FISHTAIL said:
Your friend has been fortunate. My best friend worked at the local dodge dealership, and my parents owned a 91 dodge grand caravan, and while the motor was great, the transmission was NOT. It went through 3 transmissions while we had it, and at least one before we got it. Granted, it had almost 300k by the time we ditched it, but to say that the transmissions in those vans are reliable is a joke at best.

The worst part about the early 90's caravans is that you can't even rebuild the tranny, due to some problem with seal consistancy. This problem was fixed in the later model years, but the early 90's vans have JUNK for transmissions. They also have problems with the ABS systems, and there is a module behind the dash that likes to fail and cause the gauges/power locks to go crazy. The brake failure is covered via dodge regardless of milage(we got ours fixed a couple of times, and the last time the van was pushing 230k) so don't let that bother you to much.

But don't defend the transmissions in those things, they are crap.

Well, my mother is now on her third as well, in 12 years, she hasn't had a single transmission replaced. Yes, I know a lot has to do with how treat it, and you basically verified my point of looking for a Chrysler Minivan. The transmission problem has been fixed for a while, he could easily pick one up that is 7-10 years old now with no problems.

But yes I am very aware of former transmission problems in these vans...but it can also be an an excuse to get one for a cheaper.

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
The cologne 4.0L V6 is a boat anchor and overall a piece of shit.

I gotta disagree based on personal experience.... 4.0 Explorer went from Mom, to Dad, to me, to brother - took a beating from all but my Mom, and has had NO problems... NONE! Most reliable car we've ever had - still going strong w/ over 200,000 Mi.

nighthawk355x

Banned
Whizzle said:
the AWD jeeps get the worst gas mileage ive ever seen

Yes, they do, that and trans problems in the v8's are why it'd be better to go with the regular cherokee 4x4. Like I was saying the inline 6 is unstoppable!

What most people don't know is the motor/trans from the Cherokee are Toyota components, which is why they're so damn reliable.

So...lets see, it seems the majority vote is saying either an import or 4x4, if you get a 4.0 Cherokee like I said you'll have the best of all worlds. The reliability of an import with decent gas consumption(as long as you're not using the 4wd constantly), and something you can park in front of your house without feeling like you have to cover up the "Honda" emblem in shame! :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread