Daily Driver Brakes: Duralast Gold or Powerstop

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Dad needs brakes on his 2015 Dart. Total daily driver. No performance driving.

Duralast Gold - ~$400
Powerstop Z17 (oe rotor, ceramic pads) - ~$250
Powerstop Z23 (drilled slotted rotor, carbon fiber pads) - ~$320

Any experience with Powerstop brand? I’m doing to brakes, he’s going to help/learn as he’s never done them and I hate watching people pay 600+ for a brake replacement.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I believe Duralast Gold has a lifetime replacement, so if your dad keeps the car up to the next time it needs brake pads/rotors, he'll need to show a receipt and can get free replacements.

I would stick with blank rotors and avoid slotted/drilled/dimpled rotors for a DD because of accelerated pad wear/possible cracking of the rotors.

87lc2

Established Member
Go with RockAuto (Bendix, Raybestos, Dynamic Friction, etc) - Can do both front & rear rotors/pads for under $150.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Go with RockAuto (Bendix, Raybestos, Dynamic Friction, etc) - Can do both front & rear rotors/pads for under $150.

Not touching cheap shit on brakes again. Got ****ed on that once on our F150. Saved 200 up front and spent lots more later.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I always recommend Akibonos ceramics as they aren't much more than those, but between those two Powerstop Z17. I used Powerstop a lot and never had an issue. I don't buy any Duralast anything because I've always known it to be trash. Stick with the factory rotors and ceramic pads.

I've probably put Powerstop pads on over 100 vehicles and don't think I ever had any comebacks or mentions of noise or anything. They are good and affordable.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
The Akibono ProAct pads are part# ACT1640 for a 2015 Dart with a 2.4 and it shows list of $166.00.
17099460916412873290802794019613.jpg

robvas

Established Member
Powerstops = Chinese, right?

I've used them before with no issues but I remember reading they are Chinese made.

I would imagine a lot of other low end brands are as well, if not all?

I'd almost try Detroit Axle if they are similar.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Ford used or still uses Akibono pads from the factory and I've had multiple customer as well as my parents on their Focus have factory pads that lasted over 100k miles.
I’m not sure who makes the factory Ford pads. I believe Toyota and Honda uses them from the factory. Either way I’m not running some autozone duralast shit on my cars.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I’m not sure who makes the factory Ford pads. I believe Toyota and Honda uses them from the factory. Either way I’m not running some autozone duralast shit on my cars.

Yeah, Autozone was the only parts store I wouldn't ever buy from when I was an advisor. They never had any good aftermarket options on hand and their Duralast line is just crap. Never seen a store rep try so hard to get our business and I'd tell him it was crap and I'll buy when they get on the same level as everyone else.

I know Ford used them for a bit on some of the compact cars.

MFE

Established Member
Forget the drilled/slotted rotors but do get Powerstop Z32 pads. I run them in place of the OEM pads on my 2016 Chevy SS, and they are effective for spirited driving, rotor-friendly, and resonably clean.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Powerstops = Chinese, right?

I've used them before with no issues but I remember reading they are Chinese made.

I would imagine a lot of other low end brands are as well, if not all?

I'd almost try Detroit Axle if they are similar.

I don’t know you.
You don’t know me.

But never, ever, please do not ever, recommend Detroit Axle.

Cheap? Yes.
Fitment? Great.
Price? Yuuuup.
Brake Dust? *ugj hihj hihzishaj*!\€_£$

Whut?

Tota garbage.

Again. Great fitment and initial performance.

Do not buy this garbage. Even If its a automotive flip.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I run akebono and they have been great pads.

Ford used or still uses Akibono pads from the factory and I've had multiple customer as well as my parents on their Focus have factory pads that lasted over 100k miles.
Never heard of these. Where are you getting them? My 150 has 50K and the OEM's are still pretty meaty.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks, found the right parts with the electric parking brake. $66 rear and $74 fronts. I don't need them yet.
Not a bad price at all. When you do the rear brakes make sure you put them in service mode so you can compress the piston without screwing up the caliper.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Ive ran the Z23s on my f150 since about 40k...so 110k miles so far (on my second set)...towing my boat all summer up and down the hills of PA and NY are rough on em...i will say they are clean pads and the rotors hold up well

Users who are viewing this thread