dagostino/ldc cooling mod doesnt fit in head

prttyboyfloyd

Established Member
Tried installing the mod tonight....and i swear its too big. the factory fitting slides right into the head.....the new one is so oversized if you put any preassure on it at all to install it, it just shreds the o ring. anyone have any tips on this one?

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Take some 400 grit and lightly sand the head area till it fits. But take it slow and once it's where you like it, smooth it out with finer sand paper.

prttyboyfloyd

Established Member
i'd need to sand a helluva lot more than id like. you shouldnt have to sand your cylinder head to make a mod fit. I can see cleaning it up if its got gunk in it with some fine stuff, but permently damaging the head to make that fit shouldnt be nessesary.

I appreciate the suggestion, but not sure if im comfortable doing that.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
i'd need to sand a helluva lot more than id like. you shouldnt have to sand your cylinder head to make a mod fit. I can see cleaning it up if its got gunk in it with some fine stuff, but permently damaging the head to make that fit shouldnt be nessesary.

I appreciate the suggestion, but not sure if im comfortable doing that.

I agree with you...I would t wanna sand my head either.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
I had the same problem. You see, d'agostino just recently started making the mod themselves, not using their same machinist to make them. They came out pretty good, but they are a little off. When I put it in it took a lot of work to get it seated and when I pulled it out to make sure it was ok, the o'ring was shredded. The o'ring they use is slightly different in size than the stock one on the passenger side.

What I did was put a lot of coolant around the ring and used a combo of wood n rags to gently seat the fitting flush to the head. It goes in pretty hard, I thought I was messing something up too but I got the first run of their new mod and there was nothing to compare it to. I also had trouble fitting that bracket in, I actually cut a piece of it off so I can get it to slide in.

prttyboyfloyd

Established Member
So if there a little off, theyre not right! I can't get this thing in without shredding o rings, so its definitly getting returned to them. They can't expect us to make the thing fit like that. Especially for how expensive it is.

Anabolic

Banned
So if there a little off, theyre not right! I can't get this thing in without shredding o rings, so its definitly getting returned to them. They can't expect us to make the thing fit like that. Especially for how expensive it is.

:idea: no no no you're totally wrong. line it up as best you can & slam it in witha hammer! 2lb sludge!
then just sand down the excess!

rudycobra

Established Member
Wow ! I got one sitting in my garage . Motor is out getting built but hopefully won't have this trouble . I just got it last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRBO VNM

ugh, I have a customer getting ready to buy one. Hope this is isolated.

I wonder if putting them in the freezer for 24hrs would help

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
ugh, I have a customer getting ready to buy one. Hope this is isolated.

I wonder if putting them in the freezer for 24hrs would help

There's using your head right there. Like I said though, a little wood over it and use a hammer to bang it in. You can't be too aggressive with it but it will go in. I mean, you want that to be very tight in there don't you? Use a lot of coolant as lube...

TRBO VNM

I use a little oil on the o-ring. has worked better for me than coolant. even spraying a little wd40 on your finger and then go around the o-ring. we will see what I encounter.

prttyboyfloyd

Established Member
:idea: no no no you're totally wrong. line it up as best you can & slam it in witha hammer! 2lb sludge!
then just sand down the excess!

may i ask how your supposed to hit it with a hammer in the space that its in.

the fact it the factory model slides in with very little force, and this one doesnt go in at all.

prttyboyfloyd

Established Member
I use a little oil on the o-ring. has worked better for me than coolant. even spraying a little wd40 on your finger and then go around the o-ring. we will see what I encounter.

i used coolant....oil....and dielectric grease as per the instructions that came with the kit. No dice on either.

prttyboyfloyd

Established Member
There's using your head right there. Like I said though, a little wood over it and use a hammer to bang it in. You can't be too aggressive with it but it will go in. I mean, you want that to be very tight in there don't you? Use a lot of coolant as lube...

Sure you want it to be tight, but not like this. there should be some resistance of course....the factory piece you have to put some muscle behind for it to slide in, and once it slides in it feels good and tight. Im calling Dagostino this afternoon to see what they say, im not throwing the blame around or anything, i was really hoping this would work, but im already 2 orings down and out of ideas. i tried the wood and bang method and got a ripped o ring out of it.

Anabolic

Banned
may i ask how your supposed to hit it with a hammer in the space that its in.

the fact it the factory model slides in with very little force, and this one doesnt go in at all.

hahhaha are you serious dude? :eek: im messing around, anyone who would even suggest such a thing is like.. trying to be funny. Ditch it & wait for a new design or buy the right one for your car, OR make your own!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
sounds like their fab work is off...I got one from them a while back (like almost a year ago) and it was a snug fit but wasnt a big deal to get in place at all

prttyboyfloyd

Established Member
hahhaha are you serious dude? :eek: im messing around, anyone who would even suggest such a thing is like.. trying to be funny. Ditch it & wait for a new design or buy the right one for your car, OR make your own!

LOL sorry bud, my mind is so shot from this whole clutch install i missed the sarcasim. after i wrote it i was like...theres no way hes serious lol.

Users who are viewing this thread