Dad is having open heart surgery

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
Hey Gents, we just found out that my father (62) has to have open heart surgery. It was a complete shock, he is in great shape, has always been very active (he even teaches Nutrition and Fitness at University of Vermont). He went in for a routine stress test last week, and they found irregularities in his heartbeat. After the dye-test they found blockages in his heart that couldn't be addressed with stent's. They immediately admitted him into the hospital and scheduled an open heart surgery (double bypass). He is scared as hell, as are the rest of us.
Have any of your loved ones gone through open heart surgery, and if so, how did it affect the rest of their lives? I'm afraid that his spirit will be forever broken because he has always been such an active person. Any thoughts appreciated.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
He'll do great man.
I send some mojo his way with my brain.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
My mother had a quad bypass done over 25 years ago. It went fine. But there was considerable post op pain.
Which will not be a problem these days. Now they just hook the patient up to a self administered pain blocker.
Plus the duration of the hospital stay is MUCH less today. She was in three weeks. A neighbor had the surgery last year and she was home in less than a week. Her surgery was done lapriscopically without any large amount of scarring. It seem to be a lot less stressful on the patient.
You dad should be home and fine in no time.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I know how you feel man. My dads health has been declining and not too long ago had to have a stint put in the main artery that goes towards your lower body from the heart. I was freaking out like hell in the waiting room at the hospital. But everything turned out ok and he is doing alright now.

Point is doctors these days are great.

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
That's encouraging guys, I'm taking my 3 year old son to see him this afternoon, he lights up when he sees his grandpa. It's crazy how I've shaped so much of my identity around my fathers approval, and now to see him ill hits hard.

Silver03

Established Member
My dad had 4 arteries bypassed in 2005, same scenario as you, went in for a stress test and felt light headed when done. They took him to the hospital and he was on the table the next day. Very stressful time that's for sure. The rehab was the worst part of it for him, having your chest cracked open is very traumatic and makes getting around very difficult.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
My dad had a quadruple bypass back in 2005, he was up and walking around the hospital hallways the very next day. Granted he was in the hospital for I believe 10 days or so before he was released, and was out of the office for well over a month, but most of his hospital time was so he could be monitored while he coughed up phlegm and to keep an eye on his incission to make sure it was healing up properly.

This day and age, it's a frequently performed surgery with a very, very high success rate. Your Dad will do fine, just make sure he doesn't wake up and want to immediately take a peek at his chest, it does look rather crude with the staples. He should consider himself lucky that the blockages were caught in time before he had a heart attack.

Monster Mach

Established Member
A family friend had a quad bypass.. he said it felt like it saved his life afterwords.. only thing he complains about today is when the weather changes he feels it in his chest where they broke his ribs. But he said he just woke up and it was over and a huge stress was gone.. your dad will be fine.. goodluck and let us know how it goes

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

ssssnake

Established Member
I'm glad it was found before it became an emergency. I'll send a prayer for an easy procedure and quick recovery.

Wabish

Established Member
My mom had quad bypass in 02 I believe. She was out of the hospital in a week. I've heard that now, it's an even faster recovery. Good luck man. Your dad is in my prayers.

garbonzo1991gt

Flying Monkey Commander
Established Member
My Old Man (67 y/o) had a quadruple bypass Jan of this year while I was home on leave from Afghanistan.. So, quite a shock to me as you can imagine. He had no signs of any problems on the EKG or the "stress test." He was complaining of Chest pain when he exerted himself. So, they did the die test and found all 4 main arteries feeding the muscles of his heart were 90% or more blocked. 12 hours later he was in surgery. The surgery went fine. He spent 4 days in ICU post operation while his chest tubes(drain) were in. After they were removed he was in far less pain and went to normal care. He came home about 4 days later. The pain meds they gave him in the hospital made him nauseas. I think it was a combo of Vicoden and Morphine. So about a week and he was up and operating, albiet, slowly. About a month and a half later and he was just about fully recovered. Scary but went off without a hitch.

My mother has him on a strict diet now and he still exercises on a regular basis... If you have any questions PM me and I'll let you know what I know. If you really want we could put my father and yours together on the phone to talk about it if that would be helpful.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Open heart surgery has come a long way and is safer today than years ago. There are always risks, of course, but I believe your dad will be fine. Thank God they found the blockages, because if they hadn't then he could have ultimately had a fatal heart attack. Again, I'm sure he'll be fine. Be sure to encourage him to sign up for any rehab programs after his surgery. Health care programs usually pay for it, and they really help the person. I know from personal experience.

ItsReal93

Established Member
Good thing that they found it in time! I know someone who had to have it done, and the recovery was rough but he said after he felt better than ever. I know its easier said than done, but keep positive, plan things for you guys to look forward too, stuff like that. Your dad, you and your family are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Im sure he will do fine. CABG's are done routinely everyday. My prayers are with you and your family.

7.62x51

Established Member
These type of surgeries can be very stressful for everyone leading up to the surgery, but typically the patients come out just fine. My grandfather just had a quad-bypass surgery and recovered just fine within a few months. Your father will be just fine! Stay strong man, will pray for you and your father.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Tell your Dad to hang in there; the recovery can be arduous. I had my triple bypass 12 years ago, and a stent a year later. A healthy dose of Bourbon every day relaxes angiotension and improves the mood. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Users who are viewing this thread