Dad is having open heart surgery

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I'm in a Cardiac ICU and recover Fresh Post Open Heart Patients, PM any questions if you would like.
In general, it's a major surgery but has improved dramatically over the last decade. Hopefully, his surgery will be off pump as typically these patients have a shorter recovery time and less complications.
Good luck

Solopony

Established Member
Good luck and be ready to help your dad A LOT afterward. My dad had one about 14 years ago when I was 12. He was playing golf and had chest pains. My mom is a medical transcriptionist for a Cardiologist firm. He called her and went into the office that evening. The doctors ran tests and immediately admitted him to the hospital that day and scheduled the double bypass within the next couple of days. It was like it was meant to be,IF he had a hard attack he would've dropped right there(90% blockage). It was a real shock too me at that age having to see my dad go through all that and I will say the recovery wasn't simple, but we were playing golf together in less than a year. The worst was seeing him right after with all the tubes hooked up and he wouldn't let go of my hand. I am sure you pops will be fine as the procedure has become easier than it was.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, my boss is about the same age as your dad. He just had open heart surgery for a double bypass. He was out of the hospital within a week, and back at work in six weeks.

My father-in-law had a quadruple, and was back on his feet in a week, full recovery took about six weeks.

The surgery is a major procedure, but it has been refined so much that it is very survivable.

Good luck to your dad, I'm sure he will be fine.

Jim Snover

Go Down South

Established Member
My grandma had open heart surgery about 5 years ago. She had a triple bypass. Like your father, she was scared as well but she got it done and was back to normal in a few weeks and is just as she was before she needed the surgery.

2-8-1

Established Member
Have any of your loved ones gone through open heart surgery, and if so, how did it affect the rest of their lives?

I have.

I was born with Transposition of the Great Arteries, and I underwent corrective open heart surgery at 6 months old. The Surgeon used the "Mustard Procedure". I don't remember or know what the recovery was like, and all I have to show, externally, for the surgery are scars. I'm 26, in good health, and I'm active every day.

I can assure you, the advances in heart medicine and surgery are amazing today. He should be fine. Today, Open Heart Surgery is a blessing, not a death certificate. I had a 50% chance to survive the surgery in 1984, and now the rate is over 90%. I can garantee you Transposition is far more hazadous and complicated than a double bypass, and in 2004 Double Bypass had a MUCH higher survival rate than Transposition does TODAY. He should be fine, still, my thoughts and prayers are with You and your Father in this trying time.

Savn4Mods

You serious Clark?
Established Member
My dad had 5 bypass done about 10 years ago. All went well. Recovery was a little painful for him.

Make sure you are in the room when he is waking up from the anesthesia if you can be. We still laugh at some of the stuff my dad was saying when he woke up. Crazy as a loon I tell ya!

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
UPDATE! His surgery went great, they ended up doing a triple bypass with veins from his leg. He woke up late last night and was off the breathing tube within a few hours and we got to communicate with him. His first words: "Am I alive?" we all were tremendously relieved. Technology is amazing and I can't say enough for his doctors. Thanks all for your support and experiences. Now for the road to recovery...

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
UPDATE! His surgery went great, they ended up doing a triple bypass with veins from his leg. He woke up late last night and was off the breathing tube within a few hours and we got to communicate with him. His first words: "Am I alive?" we all were tremendously relieved. Technology is amazing and I can't say enough for his doctors. Thanks all for your support and experiences. Now for the road to recovery...

This is GREAT NEWS!
Good to hear!:rockon:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
My dad had a Quin bypass in 2009. He is doing good. He does get tired, and his legs still bother him. Recovery was the worst part. My dad is about as tough as they come, and It really whipped him. It takes roughly 2 weeks recovery time. My dad was only 45 too. He had never drank, smoke, or taken anything more then a Aleve his whole life. He has that condition where plaque builds on you arteries, and he couldnt have lived any differently. Im glad to hear you dad is doing good. Open heart surgery is a nasty surgery.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
That's great news, glad to hear it.

Jim Snover

B-O-B'03

Established Member
UPDATE! His surgery went great, they ended up doing a triple bypass with veins from his leg. He woke up late last night and was off the breathing tube within a few hours and we got to communicate with him. His first words: "Am I alive?" we all were tremendously relieved. ...

Congratulations and I hope for a speedy recovery for him.

Mom had her first bypass @ 55, it went pretty well and she immediately felt 100 times better.

5 years after Mom had her surgery Dad went in for immense pain, that turned out to be a kidney stone. While he was in there they decided he had an aneurysm on his abdominal aorta and they needed run more tests. After the tests it was decided they needed to do a quadruple bypass first... He died in the ICU, after the bypass, with a sedated heart rate of 130, the aorta burst and he bled out before they could do anything.

Mom died 5 years later, in ICU, after her second bypass surgery.

Cherish them while they are around :rockon:

I feel doomed :shrug:

-Brian

His Grace

Genesis 1:31
Established Member
I'm in a Cardiac ICU and recover Fresh Post Open Heart Patients, PM any questions if you would like.
In general, it's a major surgery but has improved dramatically over the last decade. Hopefully, his surgery will be off pump as typically these patients have a shorter recovery time and less complications.
Good luck

Same here. To the Op, if you have anything specific questions about anything give me a hollar.

I dont recall, is he going for a TECAB, Mid-Cab or a mid-line sternotomy? Either way, I am sure all things will go great.

Users who are viewing this thread