D40 + Clear Night Sky + Long Shutter = WOW

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Here are a few shots that I just took. It was a clear night sky so I busted out the D40 and tripod. I set the shutter to bulb and took a few pics.

First one was set for about 22 minutes. My first try and I didnt really like the result of this one. There was some extra light from a streetlight that messed with the pic.

D40-325.jpg

Second one is better set for about 15 minutes.

DSC_0234.jpg

Finally this one came out great. about 10 minutes

DSC_0235.jpg

What do u think

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
looks sweet. but what does shutter mean? like you set it for 20min meaning?

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I love these type of shots. I've seen a couple that were a night long and you can see where the earth spun on it's axis and made a circle with the stars.

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
I think you really need to be in complete darkness out in the woods somewhere for those shots to really work.

oh i agree i was just doing some test shots to see how they turn out. Still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of this camera. Next time i will be like 30 miles outside of town or something. I just thought these were pretty cool so i posted them up.

NoSlo5PointOh

Tappin That Since '04
Established Member
Pretty cool pics. Would definitely be sweeter away from town though. Thanks for sharing. I have never seen pics like that before.

WillyBob98

First On Race Day
Established Member
looks sweet. but what does shutter mean? like you set it for 20min meaning?

You can actually set a box up on a table or something stable, put a piece of photo paper in the back of the box, cut a hole in front of the box, keep the hole closed until the box is set, then un cover the hole, after a period of time cover it again and if you have the right solution and dark room you can make a pretty wicked picture out of the photo paper:beer: Photography 101 lol

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Since I'm in the market for a DSLR camera, I was, of course, pulled in here to check out your photos. Very cool! So you like the camera? What lenses do you have?

4fit?

Established Member
Nice pics. For some VERY interesting night photography, check out Arin Ahnell. Not really star trails or anything like that, but still very creative.

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Since I'm in the market for a DSLR camera, I was, of course, pulled in here to check out your photos. Very cool! So you like the camera? What lenses do you have?

I absolutely love this camera. With a DSLR i have so many opportunites that you just dont have with a point and shoot camera. Right now i only have the lens the camera came with (18-55mm) but here within a month or so I will pick up a Nikkor 55-200 mm lens with VR. Cant wait.:banana:

rev440

young punk
Established Member
You can actually set a box up on a table or something stable, put a piece of photo paper in the back of the box, cut a hole in front of the box, keep the hole closed until the box is set, then un cover the hole, after a period of time cover it again and if you have the right solution and dark room you can make a pretty wicked picture out of the photo paper:beer: Photography 101 lol

Ive done that in my photo class at my high school last year. Pretty cool stuff IMO.

IShb3w

Established Member
i wish my rebel xt could hold the shutter open that long. most i can do is 2 minutes using a remote. what ISO and aperature were those shot at? im too lazy to check the exif lol.

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
first shot -- iso - 400, aperture - F10
second -- iso - 200, A - F11
third-- iso - 400, A - F11
This camera will hold the shutter open for a max of 30 minutes

Ok this is a little off topic but who is that guy dancing in VirtualSVT's avatar. Thats been cracking me up all morning.

Users who are viewing this thread