D&D magnum t-56 or viper spec t-56

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I haven't driven a car with a T56 (03/04 or Magnum) trans that shifts smooth yet. IMO they are a great trans for top speed blasts but for DDs a built 3650 is a more economical and better shifting option.

cobraracer46

Banned
but for DDs a built 3650 is a more economical and better shifting option.
Added Strength and and extra overdrive arne't the only upgrades you get when converting over to a T56.

What stinks the most on the T45 and TR3650 transmissions besides the low torque capacity and missing sixth gear is the non removable bell housing. The Non removable bellhousing makes installation a bitch( I have installed both a TR3650 and T56 transmissions) With long tube headers, installation is a nightmare.
With the T56, installation is a breeze, thanks to the removable bell housing, even with long tube headers. For this reason, I think it is foolish to invest in a TR3650 or T45 when for a little more you can have a much stronger transmission that is easier to install and service.

:bash:T45 and TR3650:burn:

slick4_6

Established Member
I would not put a T56 in a new edge unless it had a 2.97 1st gear. I would prefer a 3.37 like stock but I do not think one is available. I have never understood why D&D or any of the other shops have not came out with an aftermarket T56 with a 2.97-3.xx 1st gear and .74, .50 for 5th, 6th. A transmission like that with a 4.30 to 4.56 gear would be perfect for a N/A Cobra.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Added Strength and and extra overdrive arne't the only upgrades you get when converting over to a T56.
What stinks the most on the T45 and TR3650 transmissions besides the low torque capacity and missing sixth gear is the non removable bell housing. The Non removable bellhousing makes installation a bitch( I have installed both a TR3650 and T56 transmissions) With long tube headers, installation is a nightmare.
With the T56, installation is a breeze, thanks to the removable bell housing, even with long tube headers. For this reason, I think it is foolish to invest in a TR3650 or T45 when for a little more you can have a much stronger transmission that is easier to install and service.
:bash:T45 and TR3650:burn:

A t56 is okay if you don't mind a heavier trans that isn't good for drag racing and is terrible at shifting over 7k. The higher first gear is okay for a PD blown car like the 03/04 cobra but for a centri or n/a car it stinks. Ever seen a quick n/a, 4.6 powered 6 speed mustang?

There are many brands of headersthat don't have to be removed.
Only those people with BBK and SLP headers have issues with clutch replacements. Another reason to stay away from BBK LTs.

Some people like T56s, to each their own.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
According to Richard at American Powertrain the Viper Spec is currently out of production, parts are getting harder to acquire and it actually is Weaker than the Magnum!!

frankt99cobra

whoha
Established Member
i'll have to say i like the 2.67 first gear with the 4.10s with the stock t-45 and the 3.27 first , it was near usless, blow the tires off every time . simpson performance said staying in the power band longer with the centi-charger would be better

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I haven't driven a car with a T56 (03/04 or Magnum) trans that shifts smooth yet. IMO they are a great trans for top speed blasts but for DDs a built 3650 is a more economical and better shifting option.

I agree. This Z06 six speed is the first one I can drive and not miss a 3-4 shift.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
I would not put a T56 in a new edge unless it had a 2.97 1st gear. I would prefer a 3.37 like stock but I do not think one is available. I have never understood why D&D or any of the other shops have not came out with an aftermarket T56 with a 2.97-3.xx 1st gear and .74, .50 for 5th, 6th. A transmission like that with a 4.30 to 4.56 gear would be perfect for a N/A Cobra.

For drag racing I agree with this, for open track, the 2.66 and .80/.62 ratios are the way to go.

The magnum is the cats azz and may find it's way into my cobra replacing the 03/04 T56 before too long.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
YES the MGW is that much better, that I can promise you. I drove my buddies 04 with a 5.0 and it was notchy as shit. He likes it that way though. when I had my T-45 I had a MGW and a B&M Ripper, and the ripper was notchy as well the MGW is like butter.. Buy and it and try it, if it doesn't fix it sell the MGW I can guarentee it'll sell on SVTP..

Users who are viewing this thread