cutting coils off stock springs?

shaved99gt

Established Member
i cut 1coil off my sportiline springs in the front of my GT and added 93 cobra struts and it rides good and the stance is mean looking but be carefull i cut the stock coils on my friends V-6 about 2coils and it rides awfull

shaved99gt

Established Member
pic of my 99 GT with eibach sportline springs cut one coil in front with 1993cobra struts in front
507805_23_full.jpg

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
What about castor/camber w/ snipped springs? All you guys with picture have the front wheels slanted inward quite a bit. Doesn't this affect high-speed handling/driveability.

shaved99gt

Established Member
my car handles great at high speeds and driveablity is good but the side exhaust scrapes on speedbumps so i have to dodge them

BlackMachWon

WTF?
Established Member
Originally posted by cobravenom39
What about castor/camber w/ snipped springs?

Curios about that too, and also stock shocks/struts.

With the Mach 1s, lowering more than an inch will blow out the stock shocks/struts.

I know we have Bilsteins and maybe they are capable of handling the lesser travel better?

RGrossman

Established Member
Can you guys measure from the fender lip to the ground? I'd like to see how close the tire will sit to the fender with my tire combo...

FKing1

Established Member
26-1/2 frt & 27 rr. Cutting a coil off the spring will not result in a more bouncy ride. In fact, the opposite is so. The fewer the coils for the same spring rate, the less the spring will deflect under load and hence a stiffer ride.
Fred K.

jpicc

Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
I didn't read everyone's post so maybe someone coverd this already. Don't cut your springs. One of the points of buying different springs is that they're stiffer. If you cut your stock springs you're going to bottom out EXTREMELY easily.

I agree with vipergts281. Mine also has cut stock springs, rides the same way it did stock, and I have never bottom out once. So it is not "EXTREMELY" easy to bottom out!

shaved99gt

Established Member
my friend cut 2 1/2coils off of his stock v-6 coils and its the worst riding car ive ever ridden in so cutting the coils can make the ride bouncy trust me

blnpny

Banned
Originally posted by RGrossman
Can you guys measure from the fender lip to the ground? I'd like to see how close the tire will sit to the fender with my tire combo...

25.25f and 25.75 r

blnpny

Banned
Originally posted by jpicc
I agree with vipergts281. Mine also has cut stock springs, rides the same way it did stock, and I have never bottom out once. So it is not "EXTREMELY" easy to bottom out!

mine rides great!never bottoms out and no scrubbs.

jpicc

Established Member

front 25 1/2
rear 26 1/4

265/35/18 front
295/35/18 rear

Last edited:

saadcobra

Be away from me
Established Member
I did it in my old Victoria, but I don’t advice to do it, because after few days some spring will become lower than the other and that cost u to try to balance it. Buy new spring and keep ur self from troubles.

jpicc

Established Member
Originally posted by FKing1
You guys with the 25's front dimensions must scrape a bit? You are an inch or more lower than mine front & rear. Wow!
Fred K.

As stated I have never had a problem with bottoming out or scraping

RGrossman

Established Member
I just measure with a 25.9" tall 285/35/18 up front and a 335/30/18 26.2" tire out back and both fenders would be hitting the tire with 1 coil cut.

Hmm... That's measuring 25.25 front and 25.75 rear...

blnpny

Banned
I just measure with a 25.9" tall 285/35/18 up front and a 335/30/18 26.2" tire out back and both fenders would be hitting the tire with 1 coil cut.

Hmm... That's measuring 25.25 front and 25.75 rear...

only if the tire moves up in a straight line but it don't. It moves inward when you hit bumps or corner hard.

I've never had any problems!

Users who are viewing this thread