cutting coils off stock springs?

YGETV8

Established Member
blnpny: GREAT stance! I don't think I could go that low though... I have a pretty steep driveway transition! It is hard to tell in the pics... it appears that you have stock wheels and tires, but they sit out pretty far in the wheelwells. Are you running spacers? Thanks, Jay

blnpny

Banned
Originally posted by YGETV8
blnpny: GREAT stance! I don't think I could go that low though... I have a pretty steep driveway transition! It is hard to tell in the pics... it appears that you have stock wheels and tires, but they sit out pretty far in the wheelwells. Are you running spacers? Thanks, Jay

stock tires and wheels with one inch spacers on rear

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
Here are some more pics...

Here are some pics of my coupe with the factory springs cut 1 coil...:rockon:

03+Cobra+Side.jpg

03+Cobra+Side%234.jpg

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
Originally posted by FKing1
jc,
Nice look! What kind of HE grille do you have?
Fred K.

FKing1:

I don't have a grill in front of the HE yet but I have one from Sambandit coming soon. We have bugs around here that are the size of half dollar coins and need to get some protection for it !!! I'll take some close up pics when I get it installed...

Thanks,
JC

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
Originally posted by blnpny
xtremejc.......very nice!

Thank you sir !!! Your car looks pretty darn awesome too... That yellow really looks killer with the factory chromies...:rockon:

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
Originally posted by vipergts281
blnpny and xtremejc- How many inches is there between your black chin spoiler and the ground?

vipergts281:

I will try to get a meassurement tonight from the bottom of the bumper guard to the ground...

trey193

Established Member
Cut springs here as well, my car sits just a tad higher than Blnpny's does. Its funny some people think cut springs is no worse than putting a bolt in the intake trac! :nonono:

RGrossman

Established Member
So when you cut these, you just looked at the top of the spring where it ends and simply cut right under it? That is one coil, right?

RGrossman

Established Member
I have H&Rs here but I'm going to try the cut first and if I like the ride height and ride quality, the H&Rs will be returned...

vipergts281

Established Member
Originally posted by xtremejc
vipergts281:

I will try to get a meassurement tonight from the bottom of the bumper guard to the ground...

Originally posted by FKing1
For comparison my valence to ground is 5-1/2" with Steeda Sport Springs.
Fred K.
:rollseyes

Originally posted by blnpny
4.75 f and 9 in rear
Thanks.

My car is stock ride height. I measured a few hours ago, 7 inches from the chin spoiler to ground.

I will probably cut my springs soon. First I have to raise my damn mufflers.......only about 3 inches off the ground. :eek:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I didn't read everyone's post so maybe someone coverd this already. Don't cut your springs. One of the points of buying different springs is that they're stiffer. If you cut your stock springs you're going to bottom out EXTREMELY easily.

vipergts281

Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
I didn't read everyone's post so maybe someone coverd this already. Don't cut your springs. One of the points of buying different springs is that they're stiffer. If you cut your stock springs you're going to bottom out EXTREMELY easily.
Maybe now you should go back and read everyone's posts.

Not trying to be rude. But people have done it and say it rides fine. :beer:

venomous99

Established Member
i like the lowered look but only to a certain extent. my car is mildly lowered with h&r race springs and will occasionally scrape.
with all these slammed cobras, I can't imagine having that much clearance and assume you guys much scrape quite regularly on speed bumps, dips and driveways.
imho, lowered look is great but not worth it if you're scraping on everything on the road.
my questions to those with the cut springs...have you ridden in a car with aftermarket springs for reference?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread