cutting coils off stock springs?

fastsnake99

top down, chrome spinnin'
Established Member
how do you go about cutting your stock springs? did you have a shop do it or do it yourself? do you scrape much?and on a vert would this work and would you just cut off one coil? thanks any help will help. i was debating getting eibachs but have heard cutting a coil is no different and a hellofa lot cheaper

FKing1

Established Member
Not exactly answering your question, but, I cut a coil off my rear Steedas. You need to take the springs out and use a cutoff wheel grinder. Do a search for info on taking the springs out.
Fred K.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I would consider doing this. How difficult is it to pull the front/rear springs?

spankez

Established Member
i just cut off 1 ring on the front it looks good and rides good,butt i don't know how to get the back ones out.need some input

trey193

Established Member
As Randy said I cut mine 1-1/4 front and 1-1/2 in the rear the car rides perfect and it didnt affect the way the car hooks, its a win win IMHO.

YGETV8

Established Member
Trey-

<<I cut mine 1-1/4 front and 1-1/2 in the rear>>

You mean 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 coils cut or inches lowered? And, if coils, how many inches did it lower it? If inches lowered, how many coils did you take out? Thanks,

venomous99

Established Member
go save the $250 and get a new set of lowering springs that are designed with the proper spring rate for your car.
with these $30k+ i cant imagine going as far as cutting the factory springs which imho is just ghetto.
comon guys...we can afford these expensive cars yet we cant afford to fork enough money to buy lowering springs?:shrug:

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by YGETV8
Trey-

<<I cut mine 1-1/4 front and 1-1/2 in the rear>>

You mean 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 coils cut or inches lowered? And, if coils, how many inches did it lower it? If inches lowered, how many coils did you take out? Thanks,

I think he means inches. I cut my original springs and when I went with 315's on the rear decided I was a little too close in the rear and bought a set of Eibachs. When I cut the stock springs I cut one coil off the back and 3/4 off the front and the car was nearly slammed. I think 3/4 on the rear and 1/2 on the front would be about right. The car was not too stiff and the ride was not harsh at all but it handled like it was on rails. With the Eibachs, the car is back to pushing like stock. I miss the look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
Originally posted by venomous99
go save the $250 and get a new set of lowering springs that are designed with the proper spring rate for your car.
with these $30k+ i cant imagine going as far as cutting the factory springs which imho is just ghetto.
comon guys...we can afford these expensive cars yet we cant afford to fork enough money to buy lowering springs?:shrug:

exactly, why would you skimp on springs after you shell out $30+K on a SVT cobra. cutting springs for "looks" is almost as bad as putting on stickers and a double decker wing.

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by Serpentor
exactly, why would you skimp on springs after you shell out $30+K on a SVT cobra. cutting springs for "looks" is almost as bad as putting on stickers and a double decker wing.

Unless you've ridden in one, how would you know. I have a Pro Kit and it doesn't come close to the cuts I ran. With my cut springs I could leave a stock springed 03 in the dust here in the foothills. There's nothing wrong with cut springs if it's done properly. I seriously doubt any springs on the market are 03 specific and they wouldn't be as good as a cut spring.

448_p2469.jpg

Brad

Banned
Don't cut your springs! Just buy a set of lowering springs, cutting them isn't the answer! Will it work, yes, will it look alright, maybe, is it the right way to do it, def not.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by Brad
Don't cut your springs! Just buy a set of lowering springs, cutting them isn't the answer! Will it work, yes, will it look alright, maybe, is it the right way to do it, def not.

Agreed......:beer:

Rwick7

Established Member
I dont' see what the big deal is with cuttin them. Until I see some proof and not BS about it being bad you are all just talking out you ass

Trey's car run 11.11 with just an upper...pulls 1.5 60' times, looks perfect and rides great.

Let's see you do that on some Eibachs or H&Rs

depken

Established Member
I would buy the springs beofre I cut them. I cut a set of springs for a 89 coupe and they did eventually fail. I knew it was a possibility due to fatigue after cutting ( and I used a cutoff wheel). I ended up replacing them with Eibachs and never again had a problem. Originally I thought I would be ok, because I used the cutoff wheel instead of a torch, but in the end it didnt matter, they were fatigued and 1 broke.

sam

Established Member
from what iv'e seen, most aftermarket springs have to be cut anyway. at least you know that your stock springs have already setted by now, so by cutting them now. you know how low it's going to be after.

Last edited:

03RedCobra

Established Member
Okay, here's some thought......I say go ahead and just cut the stock springs. You would be getting rid of them anyways if you buy aftermarket springs. So, you put on the cut stock springs, if they don't look good or cause problems, just buy some aftermarket springs then. You wouldn't be out much money if you cut the stock and see if they work for you. IMO though, the spring is a pretty solid piece of metal, and just cutting a little bit of it off certainly wouldn't take away any integrity of the spring, just make it a little shorter, that's all.

Someone said gheto ????? Heck, you should see the fuzzy dice hanging from my '03's mirror !!!! LOL

RedSquad7

E.D.209
Established Member
Originally posted by unit213
I would consider doing this. How difficult is it to pull the front/rear springs?
I have Eibachs and am not happy with the lowering, rides and handles well though. I am on the fence about cutting the stock ones before ordering H&R SS's. To answer the above question though: Go to Autozone, O'reillys, Checker- Whatever you have and rent a coil spring compressor to get the springs in/out. Just put down a returnable $50 or so deposit. The right tools make all the difference with this job....I've done it a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread