cutting coils off stock springs?

blnpny

Banned
DSC09587.JPG

DSC09593.JPG

rear1.JPG

No not quite that close,but close.I really don't have any problems.

venomous99

Established Member
damn that is slammed....i find it hard to believe that you're not having problems with the car that low. then again, im sure the scraping you do not think is a problem.

blnpny

Banned
I don't scrape ANY,but i'm careful.You can't still drive like it's a 4 wheel drive around town.

I DON'T SCRAPE OR BOTTOM OUT!

RGrossman

Established Member
That's so low. I bet no one can sit in your backseat anymore. I might just install the H&Rs I have so I only do this once. If I cut mine I would prob do like half a coil, not a full coil...

comp 04

Jesus Saves
Established Member
What is a good website to order springs.

To cut or not to cut, that is the ?

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
I've been researching this topic for quite awhile now... I'm doing as much learning I can on the mods I wanted to do for when I pick up my '04. This topic in particular seems to be a hot topic and much like the great debates in history, I'm sure this, too, will go unsettled. With that said...

There are many posts here (if counted it would be equally split between the "did it and would do it again's" and "wouldn't think of something that silly to my car") that gave me a great deal of information, but I needed to hear it for myself. I've contacted just about every spring source there is (manufacturers, distributors, retailers, etc.) and they all say the same thing... for the type spring that the Cobras are equipped with (linear) to remove (cut) up to 1 full coil would be considered a "normal" practice to achieve the desired stance. In continuance, they stated that in doing so the spring integrity is not degraded in any way (i.e. ride quality, spring composition, etc.). However, they did strongly recommend that the coil be cut rather than heated??? You can heat these to size??? That's somewhat scary!!! Anywho...

blnpny - You definitely have one of the best looking whips on the site!!! Just because of that great stance. As for those who just can't seem to believe you when you speak of the ride, take that with a grain of salt. All the comments/opinions in world doesn't matter - only the one you have. True, I have not had the chance to ride in car with the setup you have, however, I have done my own research and came to the conclusion that the car will ride the same or if not better handling-wise.

SO, for all of those who have cut the noble coil... kudos for your innovative nature and risk-taking venture - obviously the "gamble" paid-off!!! For those who did it by purchasing the necessary equipment - you did what you did for your piece of mind and comfort. Remember, these are your investments and quite frankly toys to be enjoyed with, not worried over. For the rest still going through the thinking process... do the research yourself and get the feedback from both sides. Then comes the hardest part of all of this: being a grown-up and making decisions on your own - I for one still don't know which way to go!

The votes are even and both methods - buy or cut - will work just fine.

Good luck and happy trails,
Christian

Users who are viewing this thread