Cummins R2.8

Cousin "It"

Established Member
Has anyone messed with or seen any Cummins R2.8 GMT800 swaps? Specifically nv3500 half ton trucks? I am still looking into small desiel repower options for my '04 4.3 4x4 single cab with almost 300,000 miles. The V6 is tired but the truck is still solid. Getting tired V8 mileage out of a tired V6 is starting to suck.

Also, sorry to post a GM topic on a Ford site, but I'm trying to collect any input I can find on the topic and you guys seem like a wealth of experience and information. Again, I don't really know where to post this on this platform, so mods feel free to delete or redirect if this is not appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
The "Dirt Every Day" guys put one in a Jeep Wrangler and had a Cummins rep talking about it during the episode. Seems like a good engine, just a little pricey.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I would look for a Nissan, Mitsubishi, Perkins, etc small mechanical I-6. The RCD is a decent engine, but you'll spend more on the ECU and wiring for it than you would for an entire older mech engine.

You could always stick with GM (and gas) and do a modern interpretation of a 292.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I think 4x4, offroad, or whatever they call it these days, they put one in an aluminum Land Rover body on a Jeep chassis. There's also a guy in town that has a Land Cruiser swapped with one. I've only dealt with a couple.

It's a good little modern engine that's emissions compliant and has a warranty. Not something you can say for a lot of other engines.

It's not as powerful or reliable as the old stuff most of us are used to. With it being emissions compliant it also tends to make more heat than the older stuff too. And anything with emissions controls is going to take a lot more fuel than older ones.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I would look for a Nissan, Mitsubishi, Perkins, etc small mechanical I-6. The RCD is a decent engine, but you'll spend more on the ECU and wiring for it than you would for an entire older mech engine.

You could always stick with GM (and gas) and do a modern interpretation of a 292.

Trailblazer LL8 swap would be pretty sweet.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
That's a great engine, but weighs more than a big block.

Agreed but he’s already looking at 500+ for the 2.8. I’d rather have a bulletproof 3.9 and change suspension components to accommodate accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread