Credit Card Recommendations?

_Snake_

Established Member
Your credit score is affected by a number of things, the biggest being amount of credit available vs amount of credit used. You want to increase your already good score? Ask for credit limit increases on any cards you already have...and then don't use it. There are other factors but that is the biggest.

Good advice here.

Zemedici

Established Member
There is no using a credit card right. There are no benifits from a credit card. I’m not sure how I can say this clearer.

How is that? A 20-25 year old will not have the free flowing cash to buy a $50,000 truck outright, but can be financed at 0%......and how does one get to do that? By establishing credit with low risk credit cards....

That’s not a benefit to you?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Buying something you can’t afford is not a benefit. It’s a behavior that leads to a life of no money. Ask me how I know.

That same 20-25 kid making 30k a year can have a $2k car and be saving $1k every month.
Paid for car, $12k in the bank
Vs $45k note on a truck/car that’s now worth $40k.

Difference of $20k(12+2+5)in one year! Nice.

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
It’s not to your advantage you go in debt every time you use it. Banks make billions of dollars every year betting that we can’t control our expenses. They win big every year.

Take the 70k example to make 1400. Yes 1400 is nice but it will not make anyone rich. Yet people go broke($175k a year and can’t pay my bills) every year because they want the 1400 too. To put it bluntly, I make $175,000 each each but I want to try to save $1,400. Because of this I will spend all my money to try to save nothing. How absurd!

Pay with cash find the 10/15/30 percent discounts save way more than the 1400 and don’t go broke!

Actually this is accurate and not accurate. The key is to pay off the balance each month! Don’t go into debt to get the cash back that’s true, however using the card WISELY to maximize the benefit it provides is FREE MONEY as long as you pay it off and don’t carry a balance. My example might be to the extreme as I have to use it for work expenses, hotels, meals and other related expenses that I get 100% reinbursed for. Many cards not only give you cash back but also have benefits that extend manufacture warranty and also price guarantees, rental car insurance, trip insurance. Paying cash, you don’t get that benefit unless you pay extra for it. Again as long as you pay off the card and not have a balance, using credit cards provides much more than cash!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Getting 2% back on a card is nothing. Most banks make 3% or on every purchase then the 20/23% interested when we buy too much.

Once again you will not build wealth on the 2% you get back from the $100k in purchases. You build wealth by saving money and creating interests off those savings.
Instead of spending 100k and making 4K a net loss of 96k. Try saving 20k and then making 10% off the 20k. A net gain of 22k.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
There is a search engine for that isn't there? Oh yeah, Google.

I do not have the site in mind but there is one that compares many of the cards and sorts them by features you want.

Sent from my hairy pimpled buttocks using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
Getting 2% back on a card is nothing. Most banks make 3% or on every purchase then the 20/23% interested when we buy too much.

Once again you will not build wealth on the 2% you get back from the $100k in purchases. You build wealth by saving money and creating interests off those savings.
Instead of spending 100k and making 4K a net loss of 96k. Try saving 20k and then making 10% off the 20k. A net gain of 22k.

Using a credit card for monthly expenses and paying it off each month and building wealth are 2 completely separate items. No one said using a card to get cash back is a way to build wealth.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Using a credit card for monthly expenses and paying it off each month and building wealth are 2 completely separate items. No one said using a card to get cash back is a way to build wealth.
Someone said it’s a benefit to use a card to buy things you can’t afford. Others have stated I only use it to make money.

I’m stating you can’t make enough money(2% and other rewards) to justify the use of a credit card.

You simply lose too much by using one, to build wealth.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Someone said it’s a benefit to use a card to buy things you can’t afford. Others have stated I only use it to make money.

I’m stating you can’t make enough money(2% and other rewards) to justify the use of a credit card.

You simply lose too much by using one, to build wealth.
So, if you use it to buy things you normally would with a debit card or cash and pay it off timely it is not useful? Groceries, utilities, fuel, ect.

Do not get me wrong, most people are impulsive, myself included. If you are disciplined you can do well with one. Most of us are not rich because we are dumb about money and too lazy to do work necessary to make money work for us.

Sent from my hairy pimpled buttocks using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m saying it give no benefit over paying with cash.
I really don't understand your angle. A person dumb with money is going to be stupid with it regardless of source. There is a measurable benefit to using a card responsibly.

You're working under the assumption that a person's income covers all their necessary monthly expenses and only uses the card to buy useless stuff?

JJackson515

Established Member
Depends what youre looking for. I like to travel, so I mainly stick with travel cards. I have the following:

• Amex Platinum Business $150k Limit. This is used for business purchases only and is paid off everything month. I do a lot of shipping so i get 5% back on it. I think everything else is a 1:1 ratio. I use it do to my transaction sizes i make so im not having to pay it down every other day. These points i mainly sell every year to a mileage broker and do pretty well with.
  • Capital One Venture Card. This is my personal card. $15k limit. 2% cash back towards travel. my everyday expenses go on this one. I like this one as it uses an eraser system vs a book with points system. You just puts the travel on this card, and go and erase it with your points.
  • Chase Sapphire preferred. $15k limit. I signed up for this one to take advantage of their bonus they were offering at the time. I use this one for business purchases, just enough to get a couple free flights a year for the wife and I.
  • AA advantage citi card. Also signed up for this one for the points offer to use and burn it when done.
  • Capital one business spark. I use this one with my distributors that dont take AMEX. 2% cash back. This is nice as you can just credit the amount to our statement.
  • Discover Card. This ones benefits are minimal. However i keep this one as this was my first card and it helps with my credit length.

I use to be big into turning and burning cards for their bonus point sign up. It takes too much time to keep up with now days.

If i had to recommend one, It would be the capital one venture card as its a straight 2% back, and redeeming points are super easy. with captial one you can request a credit limit increase as well pretty often so it helps build the debt to income ratio.

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree. All that it means is there is a lot of money movement, which doesnt always translate to net income.
Not to be taken personally man. I'm only messing around.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding it, but you need to make good money to get a higher amount of credit allowed? Correct?
Someone making 15K a year isn't going to get a 10K credit limit. Or, am I wrong?

JJackson515

Established Member
Not to be taken personally man. I'm only messing around.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding it, but you need to make good money to get a higher amount of credit allowed? Correct?
Someone making 15K a year isn't going to get a 10K credit limit. Or, am I wrong?

Its not taken personally at all. hard to convey via the internet. But yes, Generally that is the case depending on the card company. They will usually go based off of credit, reported salary, inquiries, and spending habits.

Users who are viewing this thread