Crank pulley wobble

andresir95

Established Member
Noticed my crank pulley wobbling a small bit. So took off crank pulley thinking maybe my metco 4lb lower is warped and started her and harmonic balancer wobbling by itslf. So I went ahead and replaced the harmonic balancer with a new oem one from ford. Start it up and still wobbling with the addition of an awesome belt squeel yay. Do any of your termis crank pulley wobble a bit? It's not a crazy wobble as I can't get it on video but it is there and vibrates motor a bit. Is my crank shot?? Honestly don't know what next to do in troubleshooting and any input is appreciated.

Edit: There are no or has never been knocking ticking or abnormal sounds/indicators leading me to believe there is an issue with motor internally

Last edited:

Ponyracer1

Established Member
What is your blower? If you replaced the balancer and it's still wobbling apparently your crank is snout is bent. Is this a new build, just get the car, etc? Was it straight for sure before at some previous date? Be interesting to find out what caused it. As far as life expectancy, it will prob take out your front main bearings eventually but it's anyones guess if it will tomorrow or in 100K miles. If it were me I'd upgrade to an ATI or innovators west balancer so you have the best available and run her til she shows signs of coming apart, (knocking, low oil pressure, etc) unless you want to pull your engine and swap the crank "just in case".

andresir95

Established Member
What is your blower? If you replaced the balancer and it's still wobbling apparently your crank is snout is bent. Is this a new build, just get the car, etc? Was it straight for sure before at some previous date? Be interesting to find out what caused it. As far as life expectancy, it will prob take out your front main bearings eventually but it's anyones guess if it will tomorrow or in 100K miles. If it were me I'd upgrade to an ATI or innovators west balancer so you have the best available and run her til she shows signs of coming apart, (knocking, low oil pressure, etc) unless you want to pull your engine and swap the crank "just in case".

Well I have taken the crank pulley off and started her with just the balancer on and it doesn't seem like it is wobbling then but not sure if it's due to it being smaller I can't notice or if it actually is gone or somewhat minimized. Ported eatin blower and had her for about 9 months. It could have possibly been like this when I got it I just never had a reason to look or noticed it till a couple weeks ago. How is your pulley is she smooth as let's say the blower pulley? I understand it's pretty hard to diagnose an issue like this without seeing it in person but it isn't wobbling horribly, but rather very slightly while still noticable to the naked eye. As another comparison as its running I put my finger to both the crank pulley and bare balancer/dampener with crank pulley off and the balancer seems to be less of a hop than with the crank pulley attached.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
My general knowledge of mechanics and how things work tell me that's no good and will be destructive. I have never experienced that on a car so no real info there.
You should give some of the places a call that specialize in balancers like Innovators West or similar and chat to someone who really knows the ins and outs and what's acceptable in that area. Report back and let us know.

nickSD

First Rodeo
Established Member
Do you have access to a dial indicator with a magnetic base? That will tell the tale. By the way, what was the cost for the new OEM balancer?

andresir95

Established Member
I don't see a point in putting a stock lower on her if she's already bent... But that is not known forsure also. Is it possible for there to be no knocking or any noises from the motor with a bent crank snout or messed up crank? I just don't see it being the crank if there are no other symptoms within the motor. I've taken it to a mechanic at a ford dealership just to take a quick look at it and told me no it is not normal. From little time he saw it he told me it looks like the dampner/harmonic balancer looks like it is not wobbling like the outer ring crank pulley is but he would need to inspect further to be sure. I'm pretty much fed up with it. I will take it in to either the ford dealership(have a friend that works there) or take it in to a reputable performance shop that will be more knowledgable on an aftermarket lower. Will report back with findings.

andresir95

Established Member
Do you have access to a dial indicator with a magnetic base? That will tell the tale. By the way, what was the cost for the new OEM balancer?

No I do not have access to an instrument of such. Where could I find someone that does? And the balancer with a new bolt and washer And crankshaft seal was roughly 270 but that is employee cost I have a buddy that works there

nickSD

First Rodeo
Established Member
Any mechanic that installs gears will have one. Try Harbor Freight, Sears, or McMaster if you want to pick one up. Thanks for the info and good luck with the fix!

Users who are viewing this thread