Coyote Head Porting

poof100

Established Member
I'm going to consider sleeving the block & i planned on doing heads and cams but real world before and after results are hard to find with a turbo setup. I'm sure someone knows what to expect if it wasn't enough benefit i was considering putting that money in a nice boost controller setup with co2 or air operated waste gate control instead of basic spring manual control.
And over the years in other mod motors there was a myth or lots of rumors that it didn't help that much to port them on turbo setup.
Current plans are for JPC single PT 76/75 billet wheel turbo kit.

Looking good!

Did you already buy the JPC Single Turbo kit?

Also, what are your plans for your Stock GT motor?

What did you decide with Eric on what you guys are doing with your heads?

Lastly, not sure if you switched yet, but I'd definitely sleeve that block while everything else is going on.

JP0814GT

Established Member
Looking good!

Did you already buy the JPC Single Turbo kit?

Also, what are your plans for your Stock GT motor?

What did you decide with Eric on what you guys are doing with your heads?

Lastly, not sure if you switched yet, but I'd definitely sleeve that block while everything else is going on.

I Haven't purchased the JPC kit yet

We decided on these heads & cams
RGR STG II Heads with Livernois / Pac spring upgrade new RGR spec Comp billet turbo grind cams (not stock regrinds)
So basically doing whole RGR Coyote long block less engine covers and timing components etc.
I will sell or keep like new stock long block still only has 900+ miles cars parked in my garage in waiting for RGR short block, heads & cams to be completed.

Last edited:

poof100

Established Member
I Haven't purchased the JPC kit yet

We decided on these heads & cams
RGR STG II Heads with Livernois / Pac spring upgrade new RGR spec Comp billet turbo grind cams (not stock regrinds)
So basically doing whole RGR Coyote long block less engine covers and timing components etc.
I will sell or keep like new stock long block still only has 900+ miles cars parked in my garage in waiting for RGR short block, heads & cams to be completed.

Sounds good. I might be listing up my JPC single turbo kit for sale soon, will hit you up on PM if I do.

Your motor sounds badass, should make some power!!:rockon:

What would you consider selling the stock motor for?

JP0814GT

Established Member
Ok.
Yep Eric @ JPC & RGR as i requested are building the motor with max efficiency in mind while keeping good drivability the goal is to make more power even at low boost and when i decide to push hard on it more power should be on tap.. It's going to be deep 4 digit power capable combo..
Once i get closer to the swap time i will let you know what i decided on the stock long block.

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Ok.
Yep Eric @ JPC & RGR as i requested are building the motor with max efficiency in mind while keeping good drivability the goal is to make more power even at low boost and when i decide to push hard on it crazy power should be on tap.. It's going to be deep 4 digit power capable combo..
Once i get closer to the swap time i will let you know what i decided on the stock long block.

So why aren't you sleeving it then? It doesn't sound like money is an issue for you?

Last edited:

JP0814GT

Established Member
So why aren't you sleeving it then? It doesn't sound like money is an issue for you?

There is a chance i will sleeve the block i started this build intending it to be a mostly street driven car with some track visits yearly on the street the block with support mod is good to go its the track with the boost wicked up beating on it in the 1100 - 1200+ whp i know it's not going to live forever. JPC Has a customer that's been beating on the block with only the RGR support system at 1150 whp over 2 years same turbo kit without a block failure I do think it's a good idea to sleeve mainly because if i did decide to beat the shit out of it racing more later it would be there to take more of a beating. Although beating the shit out of the car frequently is currently NOT my plan. Eric and i will be discussing the sleeve option more after holiday I'm more curious on any cons of sleeving for a street car however its not a daily driven car. But i still want the ability to drive the car across state lines to events etc i don't want a trailer queen car or an all out race car i want to keep all the comfort options but have a beast at the same time it's a ballancing act.. Haha..

Last edited:

poof100

Established Member
Ok.
Yep Eric @ JPC & RGR as i requested are building the motor with max efficiency in mind while keeping good drivability the goal is to make more power even at low boost and when i decide to push hard on it more power should be on tap.. It's going to be deep 4 digit power capable combo..

Sounds good, Eric will also know whats going on with my stuff, so he can pass on info as well. Your motor sounds pretty on par with what I'm doing, but I will be doing the Darton Sleeves and RGR support etc.

What Trans are you going with for your car?

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Sounds good, Eric will also know whats going on with my stuff, so he can pass on info as well. Your motor sounds pretty on par with what I'm doing, but I will be doing the Darton Sleeves and RGR support etc.

speaking of... when are we getting started :lol:

Jamie has a 6r80

JP0814GT

Established Member

I plan to stay with my factory 6R80 im adding a SFI flexplate, Circle D converter also have plans to upgrade the clutch pack and a billet 300m intermediate shaft for added durability.

Last edited:

JP0814GT

Established Member

I'm very heavily considering the Darton sleeve upgrade for my build. I have been mainly shying away from it due to all the mixed reviews I've read in past of problems people had but that being said most of the issues I've seen we're caused by improper installation of the sleeves. And with me staying stock bore i am leaning toward sleeving the block because it will leave me maximum material and stronger in my opinion by not adding bore size. None of the negative things I've read we're Coyote and never seen a negative about a RGR sleeved build.

Last edited:

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Sell your heads and buy a set of Boss heads. They have better springs, valves, cams, CNC'ed and there New.
Dont know about the valves...

And change the cams

Boss heads. Isn't there about a 32hp difference, 444 minus 412. = 32 ponys

Then the Boss 302 intake adds nothing? I would guess closer to 22 from the heads and exhaust cam

porting will allow you to make more power with less boost...win, win.

I thought porting the head on a FI, same boost just less work, reduced parasitic loss and heat generated from boost.?

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Dont know about the valves...

And change the cams

Then the Boss 302 intake adds nothing? I would guess closer to 22 from the heads and exhaust cam

I thought porting the head on a FI, same boost just less work, reduced parasitic loss and heat generated from boost.?

Boost is a measurement of restriction between the manifold (assuming thats where boost is measured) and compressor. If your heads are more of a restriction than the manifold, porting them will decrease the restriction, and thus decrease boost (but not airflow). If the manifold is more of a restriction than the heads, you likely wont see as much of a difference.

96lasersvt

Established Member
The ported Coyote's pick up a pretty good amount on the higher end of the lift range.
The boss heads have better low lift #'s with similar (just short of the ported coyote's)
If we do up a set of boss heads we can tailor them to your setup beyond the way they come out of the box.
So what you are saying is, the ported gt's flow better from say .500 and up but the stock boss heads flow better from there down.

Users who are viewing this thread