Coyote Head Porting

JP0814GT

Established Member
I have a turbo build in the works.
My shortblock is currently being built.
Does any one have any hard data benefits on porting the coyote heads from any builder currently considering RGR/JPC stage 2 heads with a billet turbo grind. I'm having problems finding dyno or track run data that shows the deference between stock heads vs ported it would be nice to see what the heads do on there own meaning same combo stock heads and stock cams vs ported heads with stock cams.
If there's a link that i haven't found that addresses the subject please share links.
Any builders heads result will be helpful in at least giving me an idea of benefit on Coyote ported heads RGR, LM, Foxlake, MMR, Livernois etc.
Thanks for helping so i can decide on the $ drop... :)

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
mmr claims 35hp on the stage two porting of the coyote head. but thats n/a i dont know if force induction gains would be as good.

hitmix300

Established Member
I would personally use that money and use it elsewhere like a fuel system or something mandatory

Of course porting will help, but how much? I would get good springs and call it a day with the heads. R you using stock cams?

JP0814GT

Established Member
If i stay stock heads there's a chance i will stay stock cams and upgrade springs due to the extra pressure of turbo.
If i knew how much it would help to do a turbo grind with stock heads i might consider that. If i we're to spend money on heads i would do both heads & custom turbo grind cams just would like to know what im gaining for $ spent.

Last edited:

mhyjek

Established Member
If i stay stock heads there's a chance i will stay stock cams and upgrade springs due to the extra pressure of turbo.
If i knew how much it would help to do a turbo grind with stock heads i might consider that. If i we're to spend money on heads i would do both heads & custom turbo grind cams just would like to know what im gaining for $ spent.
You should hit up JPC the have turbo grind cams for $900 with you supplying your cams. Depends on setup but I thinks cams should be good for 30-50 hp. Also depends if this a track car or something you drive on the street for fun but with your current build I would say you should have more than enough for myself and I would definitely add better springs and retainers with boosted built applications.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
cams yes, ported heads no. Our heads flow 300CFM stock, no need to port unless your trying to set/break records IMO.

BPatterson

Established Member
Doesn't matter what they flow stock. Do they flow well? Yes? Are there gains to be had? Yes. If you're putting your motor together to make power, you want to make as much as you can afford. Not just "enough". If you have the money, don't skimp.

mhyjek

Established Member
Doesn't matter what they flow stock. Do they flow well? Yes? Are there gains to be had? Yes. If you're putting your motor together to make power, you want to make as much as you can afford. Not just "enough". If you have the money, don't skimp.

Turbo cars don't pick up as much as NA cars do from porting the heads; not skimping but paying $3500 for 30-50 hp doesn't seem worth it. Different if you are racing for money, class, or your ego needs stroking. Most likely his bottom end will give out before his turbo can't cram "enough air" and the heads are the rate limiting factor. And if this bottom end can take 1300 plus hp he wouldn't be asking the question.

JP0814GT

Established Member
I'm not skimping on the shortblock im doing a new 13 - 14 block with the RGR Support System, Oliver I-Beams w/arp2000's, Custom RGR Spec Diamond Pistons, Pistons will be Double Diamond coated (fully hard anodized including ring groves with Moly coated skirts) all Arp (main studs, side bolts & head studs) New forged crank. TSS Billet oil pump gears, Not positive but should be good to 1200 ish.
The only other option that's available that i am not doing to make it stronger is to add Darten Sleeves.
Already ordered this from Eric @ JPC.

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
I'm not skimping on the shortblock im doing a new 13 - 14 block with the RGR Support System, Oliver I-Beams w/arp2000's, Custom RGR Spec Diamond Pistons, Pistons will be Double Diamond coated (fully hard anodized including ring groves with Moly coated skirts) all Arp (main studs, side bolts & head studs) New forged crank. Not positive but should be good to 1200 ish.
The only other option that's available that i am not doing to make it stronger is to add Darten Sleeves.

If I was dropping that much money and was worried about porting the heads I would absolutely be sleeving the block.

BPatterson

Established Member
I wasn't suggesting you were skimping on the shortblock. I was saying it sounds like you're doing a pretty serious builds, so why not do the heads? I wouldn't want to leave any power on the table.

JP0814GT

Established Member
I'm going to consider sleeving the block & i planned on doing heads and cams but real world before and after results are hard to find with a turbo setup. I'm sure someone knows what to expect if it wasn't enough benefit i was considering putting that money in a nice boost controller setup with co2 or air operated waste gate control instead of basic spring manual control.
And over the years in other mod motors there was a myth or lots of rumors that it didn't help that much to port them on turbo setup.
Current plans are for JPC single PT 76/75 billet wheel turbo kit.

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
I dont know that its so much that it doesnt help its more of a matter of the ability to just turn the boost up to reach a given power goal. the ability to make ludicrous amount of power these days means that hardware failure occurs before a head can become a power limiter. For n/a or nitrous cars its a more "necessary" mod.

Last edited:

JP0814GT

Established Member
Maybe the real question is how much air can you feed stock heads before they start becoming a restriction and limiting power gains i may just skimp on the bells and whistles and do what i can with the motor while I'm in the motor. Just need to reassess the project and recount the coin.

Last edited:

mhyjek

Established Member
I'm not skimping on the shortblock im doing a new 13 - 14 block with the RGR Support System, Oliver I-Beams w/arp2000's, Custom RGR Spec Diamond Pistons, Pistons will be Double Diamond coated (fully hard anodized including ring groves with Moly coated skirts) all Arp (main studs, side bolts & head studs) New forged crank. TSS Billet oil pump gears, Not positive but should be good to 1200 ish.

Nice build! So you added sleeves as well?
If sleeved then do heads if not the block is still the 1st thing to go before you run out of boost, if your turbo setup is as good or better than your block. I'm not trying to knock you, sounds like you have solid setup and I'm sure JPC and or Rich, can tell you the best for what you are going for. Either way it will be a monster!

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
we ran the jpc stage 1's for 2 years with great success. if JPC is already doing your block, you might as well have them do the heads as well

NCTroop

Established Member
Sent my Boss Heads to Livernois Motorsports for a valve job, some bowl work, and some custom ground cams. But I am naturally aspirated. If your boosting yours and want more power just turn the boost up. Cams maybe, but I would save money on heads and spend somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread