Coyote exhaust camshaft upgrade??

draxxus131

Established Member
I ran across this part again and was wondering has anyone had any experience with this product:

Ford Racing M-6550-M50GTE

M-6550-M50GTE Mustang Ford Racing Exhaust Camshaft Set GT 2011-2014 | CJ Pony Parts

This camshaft was made specifically for us stock Coyote head owners, all so you don't have to machine a portion of the seat below the rocker arm.

My question for anybody that has used this FRPP camshaft upgrade, will this slightly longer duration give a benefit in the higher RPM range. If so how does that work out considering that the engine is still running the stock Coyote intake manifold?

Also I do understand that this camshaft set needs the boss 302 valve springs or better.

qcksnake

Established Member
These are the Cj preproduction cams. You will need to modify coyote heads to run them and run boss springs as well. I don't see huge gains with a stock intake, they were meant to operate high.

Take it for what its worth but I only gained 20 rwhp going to boss cams on my twin turbo coyote

I made post on modularfords detailing the head modifications. Jeremiahhussey search my post

draxxus131

Established Member
Actually these are not CJ reproduction what so ever, if you read through it 1 more time qcksnake, it will say 11mm lift not 13mm. Meaning machining is NOT necessary, but the springs are necessary.

So your answer doesn't necessarily pertain to my question.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Actually these are not CJ reproduction what so ever, if you read through it 1 more time qcksnake, it will say 11mm lift not 13mm. Meaning machining is NOT necessary, but the springs are necessary.

So your answer doesn't necessarily pertain to my question.

could they be boss cams then?

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Why not just get Comp NSR Stage 1,2,3 ? Excellent results with those, Can't say i've seen any decent results posted with CJ or Boss cams.

draxxus131

Established Member
It's not a Boss cam from what i can tell, does anyone have any info for me besides AmericanMuscle. Email from them states 25-35 horsepower and will be smog friendly; interesting.

twistedneck

Established Member
This is the cam Yagermeister also purchased and is planning on installing. Its smaller duration than any of the comps and follows a different design, same ideas as the cj cams (same duration) they work on opening up the exhaust flow more and that must be an area to find HP since all the ford cams leave intake duration alone. Paired with headers this would really open up some flow for an NA or SC setup.

Not good for turbo.

Lower lift can be better for HP and torque even if it flows less so don't let that change your mind. i'd do that mod for sure.

olaosunt

Established Member
I had those cams put in when I bought Joe cofeeman's alluminator for my swap last spring.He had already ported the heads and had a valve work done but the car sounded quite different after the swap;kind of rougher and louder.
I am not sure if there were any gains from the cams alone but my low compression alluminator recently made 720 rwhp,620 ft/lb.of torque at 15 psi with E85.The belt was slipping and then broke after the first and only pull.
This was with a 69 mm pulley,JLT CAI and elbow and port matched TVS.
(going to a 2.9/10 rib set up)

In the summer on the same dyno it made about 690 rwhp at 17psi on pump gas.

On brenspeed's dyno in the spring it made 704 rwhp and about 600 ft/lbs of torque on 100 octane before the elbow.

draxxus131

Established Member
So I guess I stand corrected, these are CJ cams just with 2mm less lift but the same duration. Despite the opinions of others, I am still purchasing this set of cams in the future. Too in love with a high reving N/A monster of a small block.

I was under the impression that you could change out a set of cams without removing the front timing cover with ye good ol zipties to hold the timing chain in place? Correct me if I'm wrong.

AMWill

So I guess I stand corrected, these are CJ cams just with 2mm less lift but the same duration. Despite the opinions of others, I am still purchasing this set of cams in the future. Too in love with a high reving N/A monster of a small block.

I was under the impression that you could change out a set of cams without removing the front timing cover with ye good ol zipties to hold the timing chain in place? Correct me if I'm wrong.

draxxus131,

As far as I'm aware, you'll need to still pull the timing cover to install these camshafts. I've never seen anyone do this install without pulling the timing cover, but if you know of a DIY writeup that shows how to do so, I'd love to check it out!

These exhaust camshafts will still slightly raise the power band, even though you're still using the stock coyote intake manifold. You just won't see as significant of a top end HP increase with the stock intake manifold, opposed to the Boss 302 version. One nice factor of these camshafts is you can still build your GT in any direction you'd like to down the road. They'll work nicely with a Boosted application or N/A or Nitrous!

On another note- Don't forget that we do have Price Matching! I'd be happy to Price Match these camshafts for you when you're ready to make some moves. I'll have them shipped out to your home or shop the same day if they're ordered before 5pm EST!

Hit me up if you have any other questions or concerns!

Shane

NTXRockr

Established Member
Any updates to this? Just saw tasca has a steal of a deal on them, and since I'm putting my motor back together this week I might jump on the opportunity while I can. Anyone install, run and/or dyno them yet? I'm running a Livernois 11.5:1 shortblock with a boss intake, and plan on ARH longtubes and running a 150 shot (soon to be 250 shot LOL) so if this will net me 20-40+whp I'm game. If it makes it sound rougher that's even a bonus!

olaosunt

Established Member
I had those cams(paid $650 then:fm:) installed at the time of my 9.5 alluminator swap.I have since swapped the JBA's for Dynatech long tubes
Not sure if it gained me anything.
With my old set up with TVS and 69 mm pulley (see sig)it made close to 720 rwhp and over 600 lb./ft torque on E85.With race gas it made 706 and trapped up to 135-136 mph.The 69 mm pulley slipped bad but I saw max boost of 15-17 psi
I have a 2.9 whipple now with the 10 rib conversion but have not since had it back on the dyno
My Alluminator after the swap was a lot louder than my stock engine.It is certainly "rougher" especially running E85.
Hope that helps.

NTXRockr

Established Member
By rougher and louder, you're meaning it had more lope and/or exhaust volume? I know tune has a lot to do with the time period of when it opens/closes but that would make sense to have more volume and a little more lope from the longer duration. Have you compared your setup to a similar one with stock cams (aluminator on same boost)? I'm really interested to know if it'll gain power or lose torque, etc

twistedneck

Established Member
when I put the cj cams in I also noticed big volume increase but no cam lope. then when I converted to e85 it got quieter, but still much louder than the stock cams at full throttle.

Users who are viewing this thread