Coyote cam swaps..

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I will soon have videos up of a Stage 3 Comp Cammed 5.0.

My plan is to stay NA. With the help of the Dual 65mm Ford Racing Cobra Jet intake (not availible yet) I hope to surpass the 500RWHP mark and eventually end up at over 525. The shop has seen gains of 32rwhp and to me that is worth the $1400.... About the same price for a tune and CAI.

I will post a video as soon as Mr. Lund finishes the tune.

twistedneck

Established Member
The Ford tune strategy is based on the Valve Events they've defined.
Change the cams, change the entire 'base' tune strategy, which is very difficult as it is 16x what an older ECU has. This means forcing each valve event (after plotting stock cams vs aftermarket at each defined point to get the tune 'close') thru the TiVCT and spending a LOT of timing dialing in each TQ/inverse and speed density tables....assuming the maff curve is correct.

There *should* be room for decent cams and full VCT movement as the factory setup is a non-interference motor. (cams fully open and they will not hit the pistons)
This means there's a LOT of room for more overlap around TDC. If programmed correctly you should be able to run HUGE cams without limiters and make it purr like a kitten at idle/cruise.

The guys at InnoV8 in Australia are working on the using the full 50 degrees of TiVCT while using huge cams like 14.5mm intake and exhaust lift and a lot more duration. they are supposed to be responding very well and have no issues on the spintron even with big springs. In order to do that you cant run paper thin NA only type pistons i believe you need a lot of valve relief. I'm hoping they get finished by March 2013...

Then, making use of those cams we need to figure out the cobra jet crank sensor wheel so guys like Shaun and Roger at InnoV8 can spin these things well over 8000rpm.

One of these cammed motors with something like 3300lb or less weight would be a track rocket.

Lawman has the best cammed stang i've seen so far in pics and videos and he has over 500HP on the dyno at the wheels pure NA. Edit: i forgot Beefcake's car that has those wonderful JPC stage 1 heads and cams.. i always wondered what kind of lift and duration they were running.

I would also assume that if you do plan to run a big stick you need to lighten up the valves (hollow stem) and keep the exhaust valve cool via sodium filling to conduct heat away from the valve face.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread