Coyote cam swaps..

ReefBlueCoupe

Established Member
What if any problems are people seeing out of their cam-swapped Coyote valvetrain since we've had aftermarket cams out for a while? In the past, Ford modulars have had the bad habit of.. well how do you say it, becoming ticking time bombs once you start swapping out valvetrain components. I believe that with cams like the Comp Cams choices that do not require valvespring swaps, these problems are less likely to show up in the Coyotes, but I'm just trying to gather info/facts for my future Coyote-powered Mustang purchase :coolman:

alex12gt

Established Member
Most people arnt doing cams at all they arnt really making a huge amount of power for the amount you have to put in to it

alex12gt

Established Member
I think there may be only 2-3 people running cams and even most of the built motors are still running stock cams

ReefBlueCoupe

Established Member
Well, when you talk to those 2-3 people, tell them to check out this thread since they have actual experience with the topic at hand and can contribute valuable information instead of speculation.

Thanks.

ReefBlueCoupe

Established Member
Don't you lose the variable valve timing when running aftermarket cams? Seems pretty worthless on a street car.

You are speculating and then drawing a conclusion based on your own speculation. Never a good idea.

No, you don't lose the variable timing when running aftermarket cams, but it is limited both by the tune and physically with phaser limiters in order to maintain P/V clearance. Limiters, not lockouts.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I am running the JPC Stage 1 Regrinds and Stage 1 Heads.

I have the Livernois valve spring upgrade.

Probably 200 passes or so on it the last year and a half and running as good as it ever did!

alex12gt

Established Member
you were looking for info and i provided some sorry wasnt up to snuff for you.....maybe you should try the search function as well

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

The Ford tune strategy is based on the Valve Events they've defined.
Change the cams, change the entire 'base' tune strategy, which is very difficult as it is 16x what an older ECU has. This means forcing each valve event (after plotting stock cams vs aftermarket at each defined point to get the tune 'close') thru the TiVCT and spending a LOT of timing dialing in each TQ/inverse and speed density tables....assuming the maff curve is correct.

There *should* be room for decent cams and full VCT movement as the factory setup is a non-interference motor. (cams fully open and they will not hit the pistons)
This means there's a LOT of room for more overlap around TDC. If programmed correctly you should be able to run HUGE cams without limiters and make it purr like a kitten at idle/cruise.

scotmach

Established Member
However, some people are, and those are the people I hope will reply to this thread.

Thanks.

Well, when you talk to those 2-3 people, tell them to check out this thread since they have actual experience with the topic at hand and can contribute valuable information instead of speculation.

Thanks.

Ah, nevermind. Message boards will never change.

Wow, nothing like being a tool.:rollseyes

ReefBlueCoupe

Established Member
The Ford tune strategy is based on the Valve Events they've defined.
Change the cams, change the entire 'base' tune strategy, which is very difficult as it is 16x what an older ECU has. This means forcing each valve event (after plotting stock cams vs aftermarket at each defined point to get the tune 'close') thru the TiVCT and spending a LOT of timing dialing in each TQ/inverse and speed density tables....assuming the maff curve is correct.

There *should* be room for decent cams and full VCT movement as the factory setup is a non-interference motor. (cams fully open and they will not hit the pistons)
This means there's a LOT of room for more overlap around TDC. If programmed correctly you should be able to run HUGE cams without limiters and make it purr like a kitten at idle/cruise.

Thank you sir.

ReefBlueCoupe

Established Member
Wow, nothing like being a tool.:rollseyes

Ah, whatever. What is the point of posting in a thread asking for specific mechanical information if you don't have that information? It happens on every message board and it's a pointless waste of time.

It'd be like me going into a thread where someone is asking for help with his blower install and telling the guy that not many people are using that particular blower. OK, so what? How does that help with the guy's blower install?

alex12gt

Established Member
Ah, whatever. What is the point of posting in a thread asking for specific mechanical information if you don't have that information? It happens on every message board and it's a pointless waste of time.

It'd be like me going into a thread where someone is asking for help with his blower install and telling the guy that not many people are using that particular blower. OK, so what? How does that help with the guy's blower install?

its all in how you approach i was just giving you info that not many people are running them and that theres a search function that would prolly produce some results but here is some "good info" to point you in the need direction....

speak with justin

JPC Racing

this is who did the cams on beefcakes car and the regrinds are half the price of the comp cams and offered in different stages justin currently has a car around 500hp na with cams and ported heads

hope thats of mechanical help....

Users who are viewing this thread