Cost-effective NA power

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
What about something like the Magnaflow performance X-pipe? Within reach of the off-road? I don't want an off-road X or H, been there done that in the past, don't like the smell. I'm on the edge of either just doing the perfomance X-pipe or getting Kooks headers with performance cats.

mostly going to change sound since your still retaining cats.

Headers with high flows is undoubtedly going to make more power than exchanging an H for X while still retaining cats.

bunk22

Established Member

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Not using stock cats though, going to use the hi-performance cats....

16399 Mustang MagnaFlow X-Pipe 3" Direct Fit With Hi-Flow Cats GT 2011-2012 | CJ Pony Parts

High Flow or stock cats.... your gains are going to be negligible. If your run that pipe your stuck with it. No header other than stock is going to mate up to it unless magnaflow comes out with a header option or you can somehow get a kooks mid length or shorty BBK mated up. You sound like you want header gains with a catted midpipe replacement. Its just not in the cards. IMHO do it right the first time around and get a quality Header Catted setup your pleased with. After all its only $400 more than your looking at spending anyhow.

I would like to hear more about this...

X2

Last edited:

beerformeplz

Kenne Bell Mach 1
Established Member
Spd2Stang;11761383If your run that pipe your stuck with it. No header other than stock is going to mate up to it unless magnaflow comes out with a header option or you can somehow get a kooks mid length or shorty BBK mated up. X2[/QUOTE said:
The cat legs are removable.

cbaty08

Established Member
I would like to hear more about this...

If I get to find out more than what I just stated, I will let you know; the service manager didn't state any specifics... as all he did was connect a computer to it to diagnose it.

He phoned Ford and they authorized a new full long block replacement. I will see if I can get more out of him as far as what he was able to see on the computer... but being that they hadn't even pulled the enigine yet, he may not know too much really.

He took me to the back when I dropped her off this weekend and showed me the new motor in its crate:
brandnewr.jpg

ViciousJay

Established Member
Viciousjay.....what does the dot4 and clutch line upgrade do?

theres a lot of talk about DOT3 fluid being too thin and it boils and quickly. THe DOT4 has a higher temp velocity to help protect the master cylinder and brake system as well as the clutch

nicksender

Established Member
If I get to find out more than what I just stated, I will let you know; the service manager didn't state any specifics... as all he did was connect a computer to it to diagnose it.

He phoned Ford and they authorized a new full long block replacement. I will see if I can get more out of him as far as what he was able to see on the computer... but being that they hadn't even pulled the enigine yet, he may not know too much really.

He took me to the back when I dropped her off this weekend and showed me the new motor in its crate:

I believe you are on your 3rd transmission as well; talk about a cursed car! There is a lot of power to be made with these cars if you are willing to toss the warranty or buy an aftermarket part, such as the Pro-Cal, with a implied warranty.

OP: There hasn't been really any indication of any running changes from Ford in the 2011/2012's that they are going to admit to. If you modify your car and you somehow have a MT-82 issue or #8 issue the dealer is going to be more than happy to void your entire powertrain warranty. You do have the Magnuson-Moss warranty law on your side; but your going to need an expensive lawyer to make it work.

If you want to retain your warranty you would do best with the Pro-Cal tune, exhaust, intake, and a shifter/bracket set-up. Good luck with your choices!

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
I noticed on mine when i took it to the track last year, after going round after round i had fluid all over my mastercyinder and the cap was on tight. Im going to change mine over

cbaty08

Established Member
I believe you are on your 3rd transmission as well; talk about a cursed car! There is a lot of power to be made with these cars if you are willing to toss the warranty or buy an aftermarket part, such as the Pro-Cal, with a implied warranty.

Yup; I just hope I've conquered the curse by now.... well, that is if this engine swap comes out strong in the end. :eek:

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
That came directly from a source I trust, Shaun. He tunes my car, he told me long tubes were problematic due to the positioning of the 02 sensors. That was enough for me.

Mike

So since one person tells you something its true?

Furthermore if most tunes turn off the rear 02's how and why would they be problematic?

edit: believe me i think everyone here more than knows who tunes your car. :poke:

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
So since one person tells you something its true?

Furthermore if most tunes turn off the rear 02's how and why would they be problematic?

edit: believe me i think everyone here more than knows who tunes your car. :poke:

When one person who tunes cars for a living tells me, yes. I trust Shaun's judgment.

If you really have to ask me how they could be problematic, then you need to look at a set of longtubes. They move the primary set of 02s down and back as well. The secondary 02s are not the issue.

Am I saying that longtubes are bad? No. They sound awesome, they look awesome. However, they can be problematic from a tuning perspective. That is all. They are also not a cost effective method of making power N/A as they are expensive, a total PITA to install, and require other mods to work. They are not a good bang for the buck. If I were to get them, it would be for sound alone. I make plenty of power right now.

Mike

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
When one person who tunes cars for a living tells me, yes. I trust Shaun's judgment.

If you really have to ask me how they could be problematic, then you need to look at a set of longtubes. They move the primary set of 02s down and back as well. The secondary 02s are not the issue.

Am I saying that longtubes are bad? No. They sound awesome, they look awesome. However, they can be problematic from a tuning perspective. That is all. They are also not a cost effective method of making power N/A as they are expensive, a total PITA to install, and require other mods to work. They are not a good bang for the buck. If I were to get them, it would be for sound alone. I make plenty of power right now.

Mike

I fully understand the front o2's are moved, but am not fully clear on how or why this would be an issue. They still register exhaust flow no matter the position. Does this mean Long tubes have a more increased flow than stock headers? If so would that mean more power?

I assume everyone is a complete moron and ask questions no matter how experienced or knowledgeable you are in order to make accurate decisions for myself. I dont take anyone's word for anything because people make mistakes as do i. With that said I want longtubes plain and simple not an argument about what a PITA things are to install and cost to based on power. I have had the exact same setup as you with exceptions of tuner and gear set. Im looking for a legal catted setup and an 11.5 car.

Ill get with Shaun and have him chime in for a more clear understanding. Thanks

silver50

Established Member
I have to agree that there have been threads in the past how with LT people were getting trouble codes for the front O2 sensor not reading properly. It was found that there was issues with the O2 extension harness working properly. IDK if they figured this problem out, but there have been issues in the past with LT. For OP, a tune, midpipe, and catback might be your best bet. I would recommend looking at the Lethal performance stainless off road x/ h pipe. you get the best of both worlds with this mid pipe. You can run it with the cat like you want, or you can use the cat delete pipes that are included to get better sound and performance. the best part you can change between with or without cats in 1 hour or less and not spend extra money after buying the midpipe.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
What are you guys talking about problems with the O2 sensors with LT. I have LT and not once have I had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread