Cost-effective NA power

t-ray

Established Member
I've decided that I'm not going to chase every last bit of power with this car. Instead, I'm going to settle for middle of the road numbers, on the motor. So on that theme, what is the best application of $$$ for power?

Off the top of my head, I figure the best would be a tune, followed by cat deletes. I'm not going to touch the topic of an intake. What's left? For a car with enough gear, there's the boss manifold. What about after that? Longtubes? Larger throttle body?

Is there any way to see decent gains *without* a tune?

Svt-Rich

V
Established Member
I've decided that I'm not going to chase every last bit of power with this car. Instead, I'm going to settle for middle of the road numbers, on the motor. So on that theme, what is the best application of $$$ for power?

Off the top of my head, I figure the best would be a tune, followed by cat deletes. I'm not going to touch the topic of an intake. What's left? For a car with enough gear, there's the boss manifold. What about after that? Longtubes? Larger throttle body?

Your going to need a tune for those mods your thinking. Why are you against a tune, warranty?

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member

1) you will need a tune to have the car running properly those mods you listed.
2) if you want gains without a tune, go lightweight items, especially on the front end of the car.

t-ray

Established Member
Yeah, I figured there was no reason doing anything without a tune.

And yeah - warranty. I'm not afraid of #8 - I hope that that issue has been resolved. I'm afraid of the mt82 taking a dump on me. If I keep the drivetrain stock, then if something goes wrong with the tranny the only thing Ford can argue would be abuse.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
In terms of bolt-ons, IMO, tunes, full exhaust w/ LTs, and maybe a larger TB would be the best bang for the buck methods. Maybe UDPs, but I haven't seen anything for these motors in terms of UDPs.

As for decent "tuneless" gains, just depends on what you deem "decent." Since the whole point of tunes are to optimize the newly found air flow (in and out)/fuel consumption, I'd imagine the differences would be fairly substantial in most cases. Maybe not

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Biggest bang for the buck is a proper tune. This is followed by an O/R midpipe, then a CAI. The headers are expensive, hard to install and can cause issues due to the location of the O2 sensors. The CAI will net you a gain in power, but you may not see it at the track. Getting the car to hook, will be a huge gain. Therefore, a tune and O/R mid can be the end in terms of engine, if you so wish. Pull out as much weight as you can, and get some rear suspension components and tires so that you can use the power.

Mike

t-ray

Established Member
Biggest bang for the buck is a proper tune. This is followed by an O/R midpipe, then a CAI. The headers are expensive, hard to install and can cause issues due to the location of the O2 sensors. The CAI will net you a gain in power, but you may not see it at the track. Getting the car to hook, will be a huge gain. Therefore, a tune and O/R mid can be the end in terms of engine, if you so wish. Pull out as much weight as you can, and get some rear suspension components and tires so that you can use the power.

Mike

I'll get to the suspension in time. In fact, I may do that prior to anything else. I'm not interested in running the fastest possible NA time out there. There are guys with lots more will, time, and money than I am willing to invest.

That's why I tried to limit the scope of the thread to cost effective mods. I'm not doing headers in any form (unless the motor comes out for whatever reason). And by extension, I'm not going to do heads or cams. That leaves me with some limited options, which are even fewer when I'm not going to tune it for quite a while.

At this point, I want to kiss the 11's, and tighten up the suspension. Oh, and make the car louder. Always want that.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Tune (AED)
Midpipe
Gear
Tire
DRIVER MOD!

if your a manual swap out the clutch line or drill your stocker and swap the fluid out for DOT4

t-ray

Established Member
Tune (AED)
Midpipe
Gear
Tire
DRIVER MOD!

if your a manual swap out the clutch line or drill your stocker and swap the fluid out for DOT4

I don't understand your post. Plenty of 3.31 guys have great ET's. And this thread is about horsepower, not ET.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I'll get to the suspension in time. In fact, I may do that prior to anything else. I'm not interested in running the fastest possible NA time out there. There are guys with lots more will, time, and money than I am willing to invest.

That's why I tried to limit the scope of the thread to cost effective mods. I'm not doing headers in any form (unless the motor comes out for whatever reason). And by extension, I'm not going to do heads or cams. That leaves me with some limited options, which are even fewer when I'm not going to tune it for quite a while.

At this point, I want to kiss the 11's, and tighten up the suspension. Oh, and make the car louder. Always want that.

What about the FRPP or roush blower? They include warranty's with them. I know it's not NA but there is only so much you can do without voiding the warranty.

TheYeti

Established Member
I know it's not NA but there is only so much you can do without voiding the warranty.

agreed and there isnt much. THe only way to make sure that all repairs are fixed under warranty is to not mod the car or get mods that come with Ford Racing warranties such as Roush blower, Whipple blower, FRPP procal, etc.

cbaty08

Established Member
Yeah, I figured there was no reason doing anything without a tune.

And yeah - warranty. I'm not afraid of #8 - I hope that that issue has been resolved. I'm afraid of the mt82 taking a dump on me. If I keep the drivetrain stock, then if something goes wrong with the tranny the only thing Ford can argue would be abuse.

It isn't just #8 anymore folks.. mine is in the shop now getting a new full long block for a failing #2, and this was stock (tuning).

Regardless... if you do go with a tune and want a warranty.. there is BAMA.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Ford racing makes a hand held tuner that will retain your powertrain warranty. Go to Americanmuscle.com they sell the ford racing power pac it consists of the tuner a k&n air filter and gt500 mufflers for under $700 as long as the tuner is loaded to your car by your dealership your warranty is all good.

RSKtakR

Established Member
First ive heard headers cause issues.

Explanation.....like who? and what headers?

I have yet to hear of that either w/ the 5.0's.. I have a friend that is having problems on his modded gt500 because of the location of the O2 sensor's on his LT's though.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I don't understand your post. Plenty of 3.31 guys have great ET's. And this thread is about horsepower, not ET.

fine your not chasing ET's but you wanna be mid range then tune it, mid pipe and call it a day. That should make you a very happy camper as far as being mid range is concerned, anything more well follow my previous list and have fun :beer: congrats on the pick up otherwise!

bunk22

Established Member
What about something like the Magnaflow performance X-pipe? Within reach of the off-road? I don't want an off-road X or H, been there done that in the past, don't like the smell. I'm on the edge of either just doing the perfomance X-pipe or getting Kooks headers with performance cats.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread