Corvette and Mustang owners

Tech4Dummies

Established Member
i've had alot of seat time in my shops Boss 302 daily driving it the last two months. It's a good car but it is not a vette. Versus the c6 Z06 it's not even comparable at all. Versus my old 2007 LS2 Z51 i still think the vette is better in every way once the tires are changed. The boss has better brakes but carry's too much weight to be better at braking. The suspension is better on the C6 and the light weight amplifies that. As far as modibility the LS2/3 vette can get close to 130 trap speed without power adder or short block modifications. The mustang just isn't getting their without boost it's just too heavy.

Coyote/Boss has been trapping 122-123 with just bolt-ons, they can definitely get close to 130 with cams/heads. But of course, that likely entails spinning 8k, buying a high rpm competition pulse ring and you gotta throw in billet oil pump gears and valve springs to be safe, also probably a radiator & oil cooler if it's not a Boss already. I know I would if it were my build. But still, 600 flywheel hp all motor is a really nice number coming from five liters of disaplacement with bolties and some top-end work.

SVT356393

Established Member

Imports with domestic motors *drool*

Coyote/Boss has been trapping 122-123 with just bolt-ons, they can definitely get close to 130 with cams/heads. But of course, that likely entails spinning 8k, buying a high rpm competition pulse ring and you gotta throw in billet oil pump gears and valve springs to be safe, also probably a radiator & oil cooler if it's not a Boss already. I know I would if it were my build. But still, 600 flywheel hp all motor is a really nice number coming from five liters of disaplacement with bolties and some top-end work.

That was my overall dream build for the 5.0, having an all motor coyote with over 500rwhp and trapping in the 11 second qtr. Not doubting my dude up there but I've ran an auto C6GS with the LS3 and I'm with him till about 130 and he's gone. I have LT's, Hiflow cats, 3:73, tune, manual trans, with stock 235's. Thats quick shifting at about 6600 or so.

You guys have been a lot of help, I'm going to most likely test drive a M6 LS3 tomorrow and see what happens. Gotta love this forum :thumbsup:

Davemcc

Established Member
I had an '08 Corvette with the LS3. It was an awesome road-trip, highway car. Plenty of luggage space, quiet, solid ride and comfort. But put the pedal down and it was a beast with great handling ability. It's just that every time I drove it, I felt like I was driving somebody else's car. I never bonded with it. I got back into a Mustang because it's closer to what I want, more my style.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I drove a C6Z for a weekend, its a great car. I will say my Shelby feels faster up top oddly enough where you think the weight and aero would come into play. Vette had so much more usable power down low it was awesome, something I'm still searching for with the right tires on the Shelby. As far as interior, its no contest. Shelby hands down. Seats are better (I'm 5'10 190lbs), material is better, dash is sleeker, even the steering wheel is better. I also think the 05+ mustangs have one of the coolest (not nicest) interiors of any car out there.

Don't know about gas milage as I romped on it all weekend but I believe the corvettes get better milage all over which is a plus. On the highway the vette is much rougher than the shelby, and because of the way the boost kicks in you can sit in the long 6th gear all day in the shelby where as in the vette I had to downshift to 5th to accelerate which got annoying. The Shelby also turns waaaaaaay more heads on the street. I'm sure the paint schemes really attribute to that fact (shelby is blacked out with the big white strips and C6Z was silver with stock wheels) but also the exhaust note was better with the shelby but again I have Roush AB's and the Z was all stock except for intake. Shelby was also quieter on the highway and around town when not accelerating.

All in all both fantastic cars, if I didn't have a family I would probably have the C6Z instead but the extra seats really come in handy. I know you are asking about the 5.0 and regular C6 but here's my perspective from the bigger brother :) Choose with whatever you like best, you won't be wrong!

smitty2919

Established Member
On paper and for all things tangible...Vette wins.

In your head and all things "feelings" you may want the Mustang.

I have fully accepted the "if it doesn't function/make the car better I won't buy it" mentality with my 95 Z28 that I bought only to Autocross. That being said, I don't buy cars to turn heads or to have a flashy image or to impress anyone. If you were comparing a Shelby to a Vette, it would be a more level comparison to me. But IMO, a base GT is lower on to totem pole.

Just depends on what you want to do with the car and what you want the car to do for you. Just find a dealership and go test drive one. I personally love the driving position of my Fbody compared to my New Edge mustangs. No more reaching for 3rd and is a much more relaxed driving position to me. The Vette I would see being similar which is why I would be drawn to them.

Last edited:

SVT356393

Established Member
I had an '08 Corvette with the LS3. It was an awesome road-trip, highway car. Plenty of luggage space, quiet, solid ride and comfort. But put the pedal down and it was a beast with great handling ability. It's just that every time I drove it, I felt like I was driving somebody else's car. I never bonded with it. I got back into a Mustang because it's closer to what I want, more my style.

Both are beautiful cars, I grew up in a Mustang so I know the feeling. Do you know why you couldn't make that bond?

I drove a C6Z for a weekend, its a great car. I will say my Shelby feels faster up top oddly enough where you think the weight and aero would come into play. Vette had so much more usable power down low it was awesome, something I'm still searching for with the right tires on the Shelby. As far as interior, its no contest. Shelby hands down. Seats are better (I'm 5'10 190lbs), material is better, dash is sleeker, even the steering wheel is better. I also think the 05+ mustangs have one of the coolest (not nicest) interiors of any car out there.

Don't know about gas milage as I romped on it all weekend but I believe the corvettes get better milage all over which is a plus. On the highway the vette is much rougher than the shelby, and because of the way the boost kicks in you can sit in the long 6th gear all day in the shelby where as in the vette I had to downshift to 5th to accelerate which got annoying. The Shelby also turns waaaaaaay more heads on the street. I'm sure the paint schemes really attribute to that fact (shelby is blacked out with the big white strips and C6Z was silver with stock wheels) but also the exhaust note was better with the shelby but again I have Roush AB's and the Z was all stock except for intake. Shelby was also quieter on the highway and around town when not accelerating.

All in all both fantastic cars, if I didn't have a family I would probably have the C6Z instead but the extra seats really come in handy. I know you are asking about the 5.0 and regular C6 but here's my perspective from the bigger brother :) Choose with whatever you like best, you won't be wrong!

If I could, I would. The Z is as bad as you get, I love the fact its got the cubes and it's all motor. Do you have pics to share of both? I think we all want to see them :)

And I do miss having that 6th gear pull in my Cobra, oh, and that sweet 4.6 Modular with the whine. :nonono: Can't believe I traded in my Terminator..

On paper and for all things tangible...Vette wins.

In your head and all things "feelings" you may want the Mustang.

I have fully accepted the "if it doesn't function/make the car better I won't buy it" mentality with my 95 Z28 that I bought only to Autocross. That being said, I don't buy cars to turn heads or to have a flashy image or to impress anyone. If you were comparing a Shelby to a Vette, it would be a more level comparison to me. But IMO, a base GT is lower on the totem pole.

Just depends on what you want to do with the car and what you want the car to do for you. Just find a dealership and go test drive one. I personally love the driving position of my Fbody compared to my New Edge mustangs. No more reaching for 3rd and is a much more relaxed driving position to me. The Vette I would see being similar which is why I would be drawn to them.

I just love the low-slung, supercar feel that the Vette has and on the other side of the fence, the Mustang has that Americana muscle car feel that the Corvette just doesn't have. Gotta see some pics of your Z28. What's your setup?

Speedboosted

Established Member
Do you have pics to share of both? I think we all want to see them :)

I'm working on those pictures! I don't think I have any of the vette, I had a different phone and computer back then. I'll search around for them

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread