Corvette and Mustang owners

SVT356393

Established Member
Hey guys,

I currently have a 13 Mustang GT (manual, lightly modded) and I'm looking at trading it in for a 08-09 Corvette.

Modification gains and prices, the corvette wins by a land slide. Though, just like the rest of you Mustang owners, I'm quite attached to my Mustang.

To the guys that have switch over or own both, can you weigh in on the pros and cons of the two and if you regret the switch or are completely satisfied with it.

Thanks SVTP,

-Brandon

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I have had both.

Let me put it this way.

My Father and I were standing outside having beers and grilling food. My C6 Z06 was sitting in his driveway. He looked at me and said "After the mustangs you've had.... And now the vette..... Will you ever go back to a Mustang????"

I had to really think as I am a mustang loving SOB.

I looked at the car, then him and said....... Nope

There is no comparison in my eyes for what my stock Z06 can do vs 98% of the cars on the road.

It is fast, comfortable (I am 6'5" 255) and gets 30 MPGs on the highway.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I've had both. Since you have a 13 GT I'll compare my 11 and GT with the C6's I've owned.

First and foremost, the cars aren't similar at all. They don't drive or feel anything alike. I wouldn't necessarily call one the better in either department, they both serve different functions.

For me, the extra seats didn't matter. I don't usually haul around friends, have no kids etc. So in that regard I actually found that I could do a bit more with the Corvette. It just has so much more storage than the mustang...at the expense of person capacity. The corvette also gets better fuel mileage, so it's operational costs were slightly less.

If you're coming from a 13 GT that has the brembo package, you're going to be a bit disappointed in the braking from a standard C6 (non GS, Z). The brakes simply aren't as good as they were engineered originally almost 10 years ago at this point. However, they're still quite good in their own right. If your car does not have the Brembo brake package, you'll likely find that the brakes are quite a bit better.

In the handling department, it all comes down to tires. To put it bluntly, the factory goodyear runflats on the C6 are about the poorest tire I've ever driven on. It severly hobbles the car. A simple tire change and the Corvette wins in the handling category. It's simply more nimble, rotates better and reacts better near the limit. Again here the brembo equipped cars probably edge out the Corvette stock for stock because of tire choice. A non brembo mustang will feel considerably softer than a base corvette.

If you like to mod, expect sticker shock. Yes you can get a lot out of the LS3 without doing too much, but the corvette tax is high.

The Corvette also doesn't blend in as well. If you like to be conspicuous, you'll be hard pressed to do so, unless you choose a white or silver model and keep it quiet.

THe one thing the mustang is hands-down the winner at is the interior. You're again comparing 2013 to 2005. Although the C6 doesn't have a terrible interior, it's no where near as nice as a 2013 Mustang's. Especially if you've got a 400 or 401 package car.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Pretty spot-on, though I had a C5Z06... I love both and will probably own another vette someday. This is my 4th mustang...I just can't quit them

Last edited:

slink

Established Member
I've had 2 C6's. Presently own at 12 Mustang GT.

The above reviews are spot on. I will also add that the Corvette is a great highway car. Very comfortable seating position. Yes, the interior is not as nice as the Mustang. Also, as mentioned,great highway mileage.

If you mod your car, you will have to contend with the "Corvette Tax". That being said, there is a huge aftermarket source for the car. Including interior upgrades.

I plan on getting back into a C6, after I pay off the Mustang. I want to have both. Both great cars to drive, but completely different.

Go drive one !!

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Been in your shoes...I almost bought a Vette instead of every single of the last 5 cars I've owned, but just never did pull the trigger for one reason or another. In the end, this time I went with a Mustang over a Vette because I didn't like the seating position and visibility in the Vettes I drove. I always felt like I was going to drive into a curb or something, it just made me uncomfortable.

As for standing out, I see more Vettes on avg where I live than Mustangs lol

Mystic03

Established Member
depends on you ive driven c5..c6 z's all h/c/i/ cars. it just wasnt for me id love to have one for a weekend fun car when i don't feel like driving either of my 03's but man nothing came close to my kb 03cobra was just raw power and plain fun to drive..now with a turbo and built motor goin in i dont see me getting anything for long time! but like others have said try it out see how it feels to you as long as you're happy in the driver seat!

Last edited:

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Not to derail the thread, but how does the seating position of a C5 or C6 compare to the C4.
Is it the same, or are you more upright in 5 and 6?

SVT356393

Established Member
Not to derail the thread, but how does the seating position of a C5 or C6 compare to the C4.

The C4 is the worst performance car I've ever driven. I would take a little 98 Eclipse over that car. The C6 seating position has a lot more cabin room as well as head room (I'm 6'2.)

I've driven an auto c6 and it's definitely an amazing car, but their was a huge disconnect because of the transmission.

Can you explain the Corvette Tax?

The mods so far are cheaper. I can see what your saying about it being a weekend only car. The Mustang has an old school muscle car feel that you can live with everyday, that sits a little higher and you can see the road. While the Corvette has supercar characteristics where you feel like your in a space ship, go-kart hybrid.

I love our cars but nothing can beat the sound of a cammed LS motor.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I believe its that parts/services cost more for the corvette simply because it's a 'vette when compared to the same/similar part or service for another vehicle.

In some cases yes, in others no. The corvette (at least the C6 and below) are actually quite simple mechanically. There's not a ton that really goes wrong with them and fortunately GM figured out the electrical before the introduction of the 06 car. I'd never recommend a 2005 C6 to almost anyone. You really should be looking at an 08 plus if you're set on a C6. Anything else, I'd steer people towards the C5.

With that said, some of the tales you hear about high maintenance costs are because the Z06 is lumped in there. That car holds over 9 qts of synthetic oil. If you're having the oil change done, expect to pay close to $100.00 for it. Similarly the manual GS cars that have a dry sump system are similar. A base C6 however is a pretty low cost to own.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Corvette Tax= vette specific parts are $$$$, labor too if you do not do your own wrenching. As far as engine internals for LS2/LS3, its going to be the same costs for heads, cam, intake across the board for all GM cars with those motors.

Exhaust seems to be the most expensive corvette item, I was glad my C5Z already had TPIS LTs and a B&B PRT catback! That saved me a nice chunk of change!

RSbeast

Established Member
I've had a few sn95s setup street strip and open track, a 2006 GT and currently own a c5 coupe.
I've driven the c5z and c6 z51.

I will speak on my 2006 GT and c5 only.

The mustang feels more of a solid car; better built and tighter. This includes the c6 I've been in. The mustang is cheaper to mod and more confidence inspiring to drag race as the rear is strong and lacks a separate rear diff that's overly fragile.

The t56 feels better than any 3650/mt82 I've ever driven. I however HATE the clutch hydraulics in the vette and I'm terrified to begin the replacement of my clutch in my garage whereas the mustang only took a few hrs to install a reasonably priced clutch. The c5 is going to cost me near 1200 between the twin disc and replacing the slave/tob that's crap.

The mustang doesn't drive as startled on the road. It takes bumps better and doesn't feel jumpy over rough roads etc. After owning modified mustangs I don't think a STOCK corvette handles that well. It has grip but it's not inspiring nor feels that sharp. The c5z was MUCH better there. My c5 is a z51 with pilot sport ps2s vs runflats.

That said on smooth road the vette delivers scary grip. You can tell its working, just needs aids to cut down on the soft grandpa aspect.

Cost of fast is odd here. My car was a 3v. I bought a used new in box v3 si. I intercooled it, added gt500 pumps, SCT software and a good llund tune. I had about $6k into that all said and done, self installed. The car made 448/403 in the heat. The 3v is safely maxed out there.

I never raced the car on a tire. It would return mid 12s @ 112-115 depending on track. Factory 5spd 3:73 car. It was pretty strong from a roll.

The corvette went 12.98 @ 109 with mufflers/cai. I've added longtubes but no tune. It's been 12.72 @ 110-111. It 'feels' better than the 3v as it's not lazy down lower, it loves hwy pulls.

If you drive a stock c5z it feels faster all over than said mustang. I've done this back to back. The c5z was stock.

I love the targa and the driving position 100x more in my corvette. Ingress and egress are a pain though.

A basic h/c/i setup on the ls1 will cost about 2k using ported factory castings through Lloyd elliot. Add another 1-1500 if you want really good stuff and a fast. I'm expecting a return of about the same hp as the mustang. Around 420-440 whp; 400 ish tq.

My mustang weighed 3420 stock. I've not weighed the vette; I'd assume 3150 ish. The weight isn't everything though; the mustang feels like cutting the air with a brick. You really feel the power moving you. The vette never hits that wall.

In all; I'd expects costs to about even out if a 3v. A 5.0 will make dumb hp for the $. The vette supercharger kits are stupid $. The gains are there but not really as safe bottom end wise; though both are time bombs over 600whp.

That's my long $.02. I like both for different reasons. I'd prolly extra favor the vette if I was rich or owned a Z car. I like open air though and that means coupe or a sawzall. Had my 3v been a vert I MIGHT STILL have it.

truefiveo

Established Member
Dont really see how you can compared or lump them both in the same pot.

Corvette is a sleek sports car...Mustang is a bloated heavier fun more practical straight line modern muscle car with even more comforts and luxuries.

blksnke2

Established Member
A guy I work with just sold his 2006 Corvette and bought a 2013 Mustang GT/CS. Quite naturally the Vette rides rougher but stock for stock is a faster car due to the weight difference in the cars. The power numbers are similar. I think the reason I would ever trade my 13 in on a Vette is to have a targa top. I love removable tops. Oh and another reason to trade would be because the Vette's manual transmission is WORLDS better than the Mustang's manual transmission.

Prototype007

Established Member

You don't get that "climbing into your coffin" feel with a C5 and C6.

I love and miss my 1995 C4, but for the money that was offered I would have been an idiot not to let it go.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I love our cars but nothing can beat the sound of a cammed LS motor.

I think that's the first time I've ever even seen it inferred that an LS car sounds better than a mod motor :dw:

Dont really see how you can compared or lump them both in the same pot.

Corvette is a sleek sports car...Mustang is a bloated heavier fun more practical straight line modern muscle car with even more comforts and luxuries.

LOL...I've had a Boss and a Shelby and neither one felt "bloated" or failed to perform in the twisties.

Users who are viewing this thread