Corvette and Mustang owners

truefiveo

Established Member
I think that's the first time I've ever even seen it inferred that an LS car sounds better than a mod motor :dw:

LOL...I've had a Boss and a Shelby and neither one felt "bloated" or failed to perform in the twisties.

Ive driven both GT500 and Boss and to me that body style just feels too heavy and bloated as compared to a C5/C6 Vette.
Driving a C5Z makes everything else feel that way IMO

Last edited:

RSbeast

Established Member
They might perform well, but the s197 definitely feel big and boat like vs a point and shoot sports car. They're large cars that you sit up in. Sedan like I guess. Sporty sure; but it's a different feeling.

Mine reminded me of driving a really fast lowered f150 lol.

BUT it's perception based on what you're used to. I've always had smaller/tighter cars with a few fbodies mixed in. I realize you have an Aston Hybred; but that's still not an 'ass on the ground' sports car, more of a GT car.

truefiveo

Established Member
That go kart like feeling with the road is the only thing that gets me going these days with street cars.

Everything else just feels too car like, no matter how much HP or how well it corners.

Driving a Lotus Elise, RX-7,S2000 and C5Z spoiled me

Last edited:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I have had both.

Let me put it this way.

My Father and I were standing outside having beers and grilling food. My C6 Z06 was sitting in his driveway. He looked at me and said "After the mustangs you've had.... And now the vette..... Will you ever go back to a Mustang????"

I had to really think as I am a mustang loving SOB.

I looked at the car, then him and said....... Nope

There is no comparison in my eyes for what my stock Z06 can do vs 98% of the cars on the road.

It is fast, comfortable (I am 6'5" 255) and gets 30 MPGs on the highway.

While this is pretty much what all my friends with Z06's have said, the two tall ones constantly complain about legroom. (I would of thought they would of complained about having to step into and out of the car everyday haha). But they both swear that the next car they own will have more legroom. Ones 6'5 and 6'3

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
While this is pretty much what all my friends with Z06's have said, the two tall ones constantly complain about legroom. (I would of thought they would of complained about having to step into and out of the car everyday haha). But they both swear that the next car they own will have more legroom. Ones 6'5 and 6'3

Have they ever had mustangs and had to drive with their knees on wither side of the steering wheel?

lol

I think the c6 has way more leg room than the mustangs. Also the C7's have less room than the C6.

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
I've owned several Mustangs (94 Cobra, 03 Cobra, 2011 Mustang GT) and Corvettes (86, 03 Z06, 10 Convertible) and it will come down to what you want, need, and enjoy about the car. If you want a true sports car, get the Vette, if you want a more practical sports car keep the Mustang. If you have the means and patience; pay off the mustang and pick up a Vette in a couple of years and have both.

smitty2919

Established Member
Simple...list YOUR priorities for a car.
Legroom?
Storage?
HP potential?
Dragracing? Autocross? Roadracing?
Weekend warrior? Daily driver?

IMO you would get more out of the car from a performance standpoint in the C6 than the mustang. My next car will be a C5 or C5Z. Basically whatever I could afford at the time. BUT my goals are strictly autocross and RR oriented. For the money you can't beat a C5/6 platform. It's like owning a Miata, but having deeper pockets to afford a vette.

wallie40

Established Member
I have both. It depends on the model you are looking at. The c6z06 with all the mods is an amazing car. It is a beast. I also have a 04 cobra. I had sold my other 03 a couple of years back and i missed it so much. But i will never ever get rid of my z06.

rfopt

Established Member
I use to have a 05 corvette with the Z51 package. I actually felt the OEM Goodyear SCs were pretty grippy, when they were warm. When temperatures were cold outside and the tires were cold they lose a lot of grip. OEM tires on non-Z51 cars weren't as temperature sensitive, however they didn't grip as well when warm either. If you don't need rear seats my advice is to only get a Z51 optioned corvette. The base suspension is too soft for a sports car, IMO. With a Z51, if you then decide that you want better handling (and that is a big if), changing just the shocks will probably get you all of the good handling you want. I say go for it just to sample the Corvette experience. You can always get another car later in time.

Prototype007

Established Member
That go kart like feeling with the road is the only thing that gets me going these days with street cars.

Everything else just feels too car like, no matter how much HP or how well it corners.

Agreed on the RX7. Try a MR2 Spyder sometime.

RSbeast

Established Member

Yup. I sold my 3v because I never drove it unless it was to race it. I couldn't stay out of my Miata which I bought mid year of 3v ownership because I missed that open air nimble feeling I had with my MaxGrip Cobra.

It's true though, it was just more entertaining to drive. I sold the mustang 2 weeks short of a years ownership.

43EB178A-496B-4F34-9007-75F3250B99F5_zpseno1d4wi.jpg

Who would've figured lol.

Still would like to try the s2k/rx7.

I've driven an AP2 but I didn't like it that much, would like to drive an early one.

truefiveo

Established Member
Yup. I sold my 3v because I never drove it unless it was to race it. I couldn't stay out of my Miata which I bought mid year of 3v ownership because I missed that open air nimble feeling I had with my MaxGrip Cobra.

It's true though, it was just more entertaining to drive. I sold the mustang 2 weeks short of a years ownership.

43EB178A-496B-4F34-9007-75F3250B99F5_zpseno1d4wi.jpg

Who would've figured lol.

Still would like to try the s2k/rx7.

I've driven an AP2 but I didn't like it that much, would like to drive an early one.

Try an S2K you say???

Well here you go buddy!

LS7 S2000

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-S2000-2dr-Conv-2004-honda-s-2000-custom-ls-7-powered-exotic-one-of-a-kind-/201168513056?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ed693e820&item=201168513056&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

RSbeast

Established Member
That paint job is weird as hell. Reminds me of an early 2 tone 240sx. Different at least.

Looks fun to drive though.

blackvette101

Established Member
i've had alot of seat time in my shops Boss 302 daily driving it the last two months. It's a good car but it is not a vette. Versus the c6 Z06 it's not even comparable at all. Versus my old 2007 LS2 Z51 i still think the vette is better in every way once the tires are changed. The boss has better brakes but carry's too much weight to be better at braking. The suspension is better on the C6 and the light weight amplifies that. As far as modibility the LS2/3 vette can get close to 130 trap speed without power adder or short block modifications. The mustang just isn't getting their without boost it's just too heavy.

Tech4Dummies

Established Member
Hey guys,

I currently have a 13 Mustang GT (manual, lightly modded) and I'm looking at trading it in for a 08-09 Corvette.

Modification gains and prices, the corvette wins by a land slide. Though, just like the rest of you Mustang owners, I'm quite attached to my Mustang.

To the guys that have switch over or own both, can you weigh in on the pros and cons of the two and if you regret the switch or are completely satisfied with it.

Thanks SVTP,

-Brandon

'13 5.0 owner here. MT82, Brembos, 3.73's, no other options. I feel like it's worth mentioning that I've beaten two different C5z's and a C6 GS and I haven't touched anything in the engine/driveline, suspension, chassis, etc. All I've done is replace the rear tires. Thing is still stock. Also, if you look at horsepower gains, you'll find that the only production LS engine that gains as much as a 5.0 (mod for mod) is the Ls7.

Never owned a vette but I drove a bolt-on c5 a couple years ago and I've ridden in a c7. Stock for stock it's obvious the vettes are more precise in the handling department. However, I've also ridden in a Brembo 5.0 like mine but it's lowered and quite a bit stiffer than a Boss, new wheels/wider summer tires, car is always running top 5 at autocross. Aside from suspension & subframe connectors, his only other mods are CAI/tune + catback and a driveshaft. He's right up there running similar times to vettes and my friend's supercharged '95 Miata on Kumhos.

So I guess what i'm saying is, if you put some money into your suspension shed a little unsprung & rotational mass (you can get your curb weight below 3,500 lbs without stripping any actual interior aside from the back seats) and bump up your power & torque just a little more, then the idea of trading for a C6 is kind of pointless other than to say "I have a vette" IMO. Not knocking vettes whatsoever but I just couldn't personally see doing that, but that's just me. Everyone's different and I certainly wouldn't hold it against anybody for trading a 5.0 for a vette. We all know what these cars are capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread