Corner Carving, Road Course Racing and general Handling Thread

bullet3z

Established Member
Any spring that has a front rate around 200-230lbs and a rear rate around 175-195lbs and are linear rate would be good.
So the BMR handling springs would be a little to much spring then?

This is from their site,
BMR has designed the SP065 for the handling crowd who regularly use their cars on the road course or for autocross. These springs will drop your S197 Mustang 1.5-inches and feature a fine-tuned spring rate to give you great handling and a smooth ride. The 240 lb/inch front linear spring rates offer plenty of support, keeping the body flat and level in the corners. The 200 lb/inch rear dual-rate spring decreases body roll and gives you a lower center of gravity for increased driver control in aggressive cornering situations.

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
I'm also glad that someone started this thread in the general section. Suspension mods are the only mods that are on my list. I really mean road course mods. My suspension is stock Track Pack and I'm getting pretty used to how it handles. I have gotten pretty consious of managing the weight transfer in stock form as one of the things I'm doing to set up a corner. The only things that aren't stock are below.

Pilot Sport A/S+ 25/40/19 squared on stock Track Pack 9"
Kooks axle backs
Barton shifter and Flossy weighted knob
ATE Super Blue Race fluid
HAWK HP+ pads

The brakes work great. I still need to upgrade the rears. Who drives on the track in full TC/SC off? I have been driving in Advance Trak Sport and have been getting some Stability Control intervention which unsettles the car mid turn and wears out the rear pads. And before anyone says anything, yes they are all seasons, no I don't care because they are way more predictable than the crap Pirelli's. I was getting some lockout towards the end of each run. Probably because the brake fluid was getting a little warm.

What does everyone think about the Steeda coilovers with the camber plates and QA1 adjustable shocks. After the forum discount they would be right around $1700 with free shipping. I read the argument about the springs being perched on the top of the axle and I get it.

I went to Hockenheimring on Sunday and it was a blast. Are we allowed to post vids in here? I have them if we can or I can just post the link to my YouTube.

Last edited:

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
And before anyone says anything, yes they are all seasons, no I don't care because they are way more predictable than the crap Pirelli's. I was getting some lockout towards the end of each run. Probably because the brake fluid was getting a little warm.

A good way to think about your tires is to imagine them just like your brakes. Why change to DOT 4 and higher temp (Hawk hp+) pads? Because going fast around corners repeatedly needs a higher temp range. That holds true for your tires. They have ranges that they are "happy" in...

Winter: 0-60 deg
All Season: 20-120 deg
Summer: 40-180 deg
Autocross/sprint 100-150 deg
Track/Road race 180-210 deg

I am not saying go back to the Pirelli's, or that you cant have a great time on all season rubber. You will overheat the tires if you vary at all from the best apex lines though if you are on a longer session. Some of the traction control you are experiencing could also be tires getting hot and slick. Once you go past 120 deg on an all season you start to LOOSE traction. Find yourself a good Extreme performance summer tire and it will transform the experience. Don't dump a bunch more money into suspension until you can max out what you have, and with the build you already have put together your tires are the weakest link... not the suspension. We have done countless tests at work, the fastest way to decrease your lap times (and keep yourself out of the weeds) it by getting better rubber. Suspension is important, but moving from stock suspension to coil-over might only net you a second on a track when going from a great All season to an extreme performance tire on the same track would net you 2-3 seconds!

Last edited:

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
I know. Thanks for the input. I plan on getting some MPSS or cups for my track tires and wheel set. CCW's and PSS's aren't cheap. I'm good with what I have for now. I am probably going to go back to the Pirelli's because I can't get anyone to buy the set from me. Even for $200 for all four. I might as well use them until they are done. I'm heading back to the states this summer to SC so I don't see having to use them much longer than that anyway. Then I will put the all seasons back on for daily duty and get start saving my pennies for the rest I was toying with getting the Corsa's because they are super cheap right now. Less than $1K shipped for the set in 255/40/19 at TireRack. The A/S+'s didn't get slick while I was out there so I'm guessing I was following a decent line. I was pushing them plenty hard though because you could see the tread had scrubbed off and smell them. They haven't lost any air since then either.

Last edited:

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
I know. Thanks for the input. I plan on getting some MPSS or cups for my track tires and wheel set. CCW's and PSS's aren't cheap. I'm good with what I have for now. I am probably going to go back to the Pirelli's because I can't get anyone to buy the set from me. Even for $200 for all four. I might as well use them until they are done. I'm heading back to the states this summer to SC so I don't see having to use them much longer than that anyway. Then I will put the all seasons back on for daily duty and get start saving my pennies for the rest I was toying with getting the Corsa's because they are super cheap right now. Less than $1K shipped for the set in 255/40/19 at TireRack. The A/S+'s didn't get slick while I was out there so I'm guessing I was following a decent line. I was pushing them plenty hard though because you could see the tread had scrubbed off and smell them. They haven't lost any air since then either.

yeah I work at TR and just picked up the BOSS fitment 19" stagger Corsas for a steal because they are 2011 DOT dates. I cant wait to get on them at the track, I have never driven a mustang on R compound rubber!

2 54ZR90CDOLD 255/40R19 PI COR SYS DIR # 144.00
1 835ZR90CALOLD 285/35R19 PI COR SYS ASY L # 143.00
1 835ZR90CAROLD 285/35R19 PI COR SYS ASY R # 109.00
65+/- for freight...

anyone that wants to get a set, shoot me an email at TR, [email protected]. Its a steal to get to experience some R compound tires for 600 bucks! The rears alone were 550 each... LOL

Last edited:

StangMan04

Established Member
Thinking about replacing my 275/40 Falken tires on my SVE drifts and was wondering if 285/35s would be okay? I don't plan to see track more than maybe 1 or 2 times a year (if that). Is that too much tire for those rims being 9.5 on a road course?

Clucas

Established Member
I'm about to put new springs and shocks/struts on. Should I switch over the factory dust boots and bump stops? I bought new gt500 mounts, so I could just swap it on together. This is a daiky driver, so what would be the negative effects of not putting the boots and bump stops on the front struts?

I am planning on swapping them on, but are they needed?

5lho

Established Member
I'm about to put new springs and shocks/struts on. Should I switch over the factory dust boots and bump stops? I bought new gt500 mounts, so I could just swap it on together. This is a daiky driver, so what would be the negative effects of not putting the boots and bump stops on the front struts?

I am planning on swapping them on, but are they needed?

You definitely need dust boots on a DD car. you'll cut a seal or rust something without those. Bump stops needed too but, make sure they are right for the new ride height. Obviously, you'll need lower ones on a lowered car.

Clucas

Established Member
That confirms my thinking. Looks like I will have to cut the strut bump stops. My new springs came with new ones for the rears.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
That confirms my thinking. Looks like I will have to cut the strut bump stops. My new springs came with new ones for the rears.

Good luck with that. Unlike the rear stops, the front's have a hollow bulb at the end and you can't just cut the tip off without compromising the design. You can get the FR/GT500 bump stops which I believe are a little softer although probably the same length as your stockers.

torchred02gt

Established Member
yeah I work at TR and just picked up the BOSS fitment 19" stagger Corsas for a steal because they are 2011 DOT dates. I cant wait to get on them at the track, I have never driven a mustang on R compound rubber!

2 54ZR90CDOLD 255/40R19 PI COR SYS DIR # 144.00
1 835ZR90CALOLD 285/35R19 PI COR SYS ASY L # 143.00
1 835ZR90CAROLD 285/35R19 PI COR SYS ASY R # 109.00
65+/- for freight...

anyone that wants to get a set, shoot me an email at TR, [email protected]. Its a steal to get to experience some R compound tires for 600 bucks! The rears alone were 550 each... LOL

Any true eta on hankook rs3's in 285/35-18 or bfg rivals in 295/35-18??

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
1 835WR8Z222XLV2 285/35R18 HK VENTUS R-S3 V2 268.00
1 935WR8GFR 295/35R18 BF GFORCE RIVAL 298.00

Hey,

Both of these are slated to arrive by the scca deadline April 30th... according to each vendor. That is the drop dead date for their tires to be available to the public to be considered for scca sanctioned events. I wouldn't hold my breath, but at least there is a hard deadline out there for the manufacturers to hit/miss!

MAC

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
Let's talk brake pads.

Whose' running Carbotech, Hawks or Ferodo?

I heard good things about Ferodo DS2500, but price is somewhat intimidating.

I've also heard good things about using the Carbo's RP2's up front which are designed for endurance racing but still somewhat easy on the disc - which means you get quite a few events out of them.

What are you guys using for fluid?

Brembo LCF600? Motul RBF600? Castrol SRF?

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
You didn't mention them but I would add Performance Friction to your list of pad options. I've been very happy with them.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
I have Hawk HP 5.0 for street, which were signifigantly better than the stock crap non-brembo pads. .88G braking to 1.2G according to my track apps. I will be going with a designated race pad this summer. I will chime in once I have them on and give some feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread