Cooling Fan Failure

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
I drove to work yesterday, about 28 miles one way, get off the Interstate and sit at a red light for a few minutes. I hear a loud CLUNK, followed by some horrific tapping from under the hood. The clunk was so loud I thought I got rear ended at first. I nursed the car to my office which luckily was only a few blocks away. It was raining like a banshee so I didn't get to investigate the problem right away. I came back to the car after it stopped raining about an hour later, opened the hood, and fired her up. I let the car idle for a few minutes and everything seemed normal until the cooling fan kicked on. It appeared the fan was just wobbling inside the plastic shroud. There is a plastic ring that holds the fan in place which was the culprit.

I ended up having my car towed to my mechanic because I didn't want to risk overheating it. Unfortunately there are NO replacement parts as the fan is sold as a complete assembly. The replacement fan from Ford will run you about $225 or you can get the cheaper Autozone/Advance alternative for around $125. Personally, when dealing with electric parts I always stick with the Ford brand. To replace the fan assembly is relatively easy, you just relocate your overflow tank and remove the (3) bolts holding the fan assembly in piece, reconnect the plugs, and you're finished.

I posted this up since this was a new learning experience to me. My car only has 36,XXX miles but as these cars continue to age parts will begin to fail. At least a few Terminator owners can know what to expect as far as the overall repair cost. I don't know about the rest of you, but when shit breaks I'm sitting there for a few minutes doing math problems in my head.

Also, if you are ever going to have your vehicle towed, MAKE SURE THEY BRING A FLATBED! I had one driver show up with the forks wanting to hook the car under the rear tires which would have most likely damaged the tailpipes. As always, it's good to be back on the road again! :burnout:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
glad to hear you got it squared away and no radiator damage

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread