Coolant temp 218* @ WOT

hookandpull

Established Member
So my coolant gauge on my cluster reads and has always read fine. I have been data logging with Eric @ brooks speed and he noticed that during my WOT pulls I reach 218* and then during my regular driving I consistently stay around 210*. I have burped the system over the course of a couple days using a funnel with rubber to make it fit nice and snug inside the crossover. I dont see anything else weird. My exhaust is clean minus running rich for the time being and my coolant/ oil is clean as well. I am thinking I might try the thermostat but after using the SVTP search and GOOGLE I couldnt find an issue quite like mine. I mean its not like I am over heating or losing coolant, I am just running a little hotter than normal. FYI I am running a GenII 2.3 Whipple with a 2.9 pulley. The fans are also running fine.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i don't think that is excessive. after all on the stock tune the low fan does not kick on until 212*. so regular driving might be a bit lower, but these cars do run on the high side unless you change the fan settings in the tune and put in a different t-stat

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
get yourself the reisch jmproductions thermostat and adjust the fan settings per the instructions and you will be golden, really makes a nice difference :beer: best of luck with it

DE07GT

Established Member
I only got to 205-207* max with my stock thermostat in the middle of the summer driving around at a car show for 4 hours. That was with coolant that needed to be changed so 210* seems kinda high to me. Normal driving was 188-195 for me.

derockgt

Established Member
bad sensor maybe? heard of that happening to a few people, fans were constantly on, changed the sensor and waalaa

hookandpull

Established Member
Well my intercooler pump wasnt activated in the tune so now my car gets to about 210 driving around and 214 under WOT. I think I am going to swap out the T-stat and give her another go. Also found out my alternator voltage is dropping to 11.5 around 4.7k rpm and up. YaY I love high milage Cobra's lol

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Please don't go on the assumption that 218 is FINE it ISN'T!
That's Way too Hot and just asking for a spark plug to blow out of the head.
Ditch the stock stat and lower the fan temps to Joel's settings and if your running a 50/50 mix dilute it, more water less coolant..FYI my cruising temps in South Florida in summer heat will be about 192 and it'll creep close to 200 stopped with a Stant #14138 and you could shave 8+ more with Joel's. With a few tweeks your operating temps will never be over 200..

Last edited:

Booster80

Established Member
How do I do if I want to adjust the fan settings? Can that be done without having a whole new tune?

amilyc001

Established Member
I like it very much!

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Please don't go on the assumption that 218 is FINE it ISN'T!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with an ECT of 218 F after a WOT run, especially with a stock thermostat. If his temperatures didn't recover to the 210's, then MAYBE check the system out for weaknesses. In this case, drive it like you stole it, the car is fine. If the OP gets a Reische thermostat, he'll run cooler and be very satisfied. If he doesn't, that's just as well. The Terminator doesn't need to be babied!

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
The stock thermostat has been know to not open fully until 219*. Just to give you an idea, I believe it will start opening at 180*, but not fully open until 219*. I believe your fine, drop the Reische Thermostat in there.

cobracide

Established Member
There's absolutely nothing wrong with an ECT of 218 F after a WOT run, especially with a stock thermostat. If his temperatures didn't recover to the 210's, then MAYBE check the system out for weaknesses. In this case, drive it like you stole it, the car is fine. If the OP gets a Reische thermostat, he'll run cooler and be very satisfied. If he doesn't, that's just as well. The Terminator doesn't need to be babied!

The stock thermostat has been know to not open fully until 219*. Just to give you an idea, I believe it will start opening at 180*, but not fully open until 219*. I believe your fine, drop the Reische Thermostat in there.

Yep, normal temps for a stock thermostat after a run. Riesche 170* and coolant temps are average 179* to 185* normally.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I guess we can agree to disagree!:rockon: Why settle for 2teen operating temps when high 180 low 190 is easily achieved?

NJredfire03

Established Member
no input but I must say this is an informative thread. I don't know what my car runs at, but i always feel like it runs hot. I do have a 2.8 pulley on the heaton so I guess its normal for it to run hotter than normal. I'll look into the thermostat and check out the fans when I get my car retuned at some point. I never run it too hard in fear of overheating. I have had MAJOR issues with overheating in the past so i'm kind of scared of it now.

hookandpull

Established Member
no input but I must say this is an informative thread. I don't know what my car runs at, but i always feel like it runs hot. I do have a 2.8 pulley on the heaton so I guess its normal for it to run hotter than normal. I'll look into the thermostat and check out the fans when I get my car retuned at some point. I never run it too hard in fear of overheating. I have had MAJOR issues with overheating in the past so i'm kind of scared of it now.

I can say that you can not trust your dash gauge. You have to data log your coolant temps to get accurate data.

Users who are viewing this thread