Coolant Setup Help

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Alright, Need alittle help. Went turbo on the mach and had to do a custom coolant setup. 2'' lower stright rad hose to block, Put a rad filler neck/rad cap in between each port on the front of the heads(cut the stock crossover up to fit it), then have a inline t stat between the heads and the top of rad. Now my problem is it keeps pushing coolant out the over flow port on the filler neck and will over flow the catch can. T stat is in the right way. Got another filler neck thinkin the cap wasnt sealing to the filler neck and seem to do ok for a few trips but now is leaking again. T stat does open when you push it open by hand. Would there be any reason why you cant run a inline t stat in the upper hose on a mod motor? Also got another rad cap, this one is 18 psi when stock is 16. Hoped that would help but doesnt. Any ideas?

IMAG0117_zps406ee357.jpg

Last edited:

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
I'm running a thermostat in the upper hose with no problems. I ran a 2v lower radiator hose that has a T in it that goes up to the stock overflow/expansion tank. I don't have any issues with burping the system filling right at the overflow tank. I just left the cap off until the thermostat opened, refilled and I was good to go.

Maybe try to delete the filler neck on the crossover and run a 2v lower radiator hose up to your stock expansion tank?

_DSC0002.jpg

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Well Its running now. When I would test it by reving it up it would push water out the over flow as soon as it would build some rpms. I then removed the t stat and it was still pushing water out so I tried another cap (moroso) that had leaked before. Now it seems to be holding without the t stat in and the moroso cap. No stat anywhere in the system. Not sure if its building to much pressure with the stat and after the cap opening time after time it weakened it so it couldnt hold pressure if that can even happen :shrug:. I plan to drive it alittle more without stat to make sure it wont start leaking and then put it back in and see if it starts leaking again. Its setup was the cheap easy way to get it running again. I wouldnt mind go to the same setup you have but ON 3 has there hand in on it and im not a big fan of them.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Im also running a remote oil cooler so its a different flange for the coolant line so a 2V hose wont work. I had thought about running a T in the lower line to run the stock tank but i like the look of no tank better.

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
I've seen 4v setups similar to yours that worked fine. The only thing I can think is an obvious seal issue with filler neck or maybe your overfilling the system and not realizing it? What does Brad think about it? Good luck with it man...I look forward to seeing it in action when you get the bugs worked out.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
I've seen 4v setups similar to yours that worked fine. The only thing I can think is an obvious seal issue with filler neck or maybe your overfilling the system and not realizing it? What does Brad think about it? Good luck with it man...I look forward to seeing it in action when you get the bugs worked out.

Well this it the second filler from moroso. Both have leaked but its lookin like the cap has been the problem :shrug:. Its still hold now with no t stat. I fill it up so there is no air in system, same way its now and its holding. :shrug: He isnt sure either. Im really to have alittle fun with the car again but most around here are down it seems.

coposrv

Established Member
Is the catch can set up with a siphon tube? I have a catch can acting as a smaller version of a degas bottle. I was blowing coolant out of the top of it untill I modified and sealed it up. No problems since.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Im running a Moroso over flow tank. It didnt have a siphon hose, Didnt know that when i ordered it so i just moved the hose from the top to bottom port so it can fill and remove coolant from the over flow tank and the top port is like a vent. Drove it today out to the beach which is about hour long drive round trip and it did lose some coolant at some point on the drive. Now im not sure what ill do :??: Now i have other problems to :poke: I guess by packing my Trac Loc so tight it asked like a spool wasnt a good idea :bash:. Its making some REALLY bad noise when turning so im goin to rebuild it again but not so tight this time.

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
How difficult would it be to figure out a t for the lower radiator hose? If I was having your issues with the filler neck I would probably ditch it and figure something else out. Maybe even try the stock expansion tank for the time being so you know nothing else is going on. You could always go with a smaller aftermarket tank later to clean it up some and at least get it tuned for now...

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
How difficult would it be to figure out a t for the lower radiator hose? If I was having your issues with the filler neck I would probably ditch it and figure something else out. Maybe even try the stock expansion tank for the time being so you know nothing else is going on. You could always go with a smaller aftermarket tank later to clean it up some and at least get it tuned for now...

Wouldnt be to bad. Just need to order some pipe. Really dont want to spend to much until i know for sure whats goin on with it. I did some more reading lastnight and it seems that the cap needs to be on the outlet side of the radiator and mine is on the inlet side. There is more pressure on the inlet side of the radaitor then outlet because the radiator itself is a restriction. Just about every Radiator i looked at had the cap on the outlet side. I was thinkin about adding a Radiator cap to the radiator itself. :shrug: Then just add a hose where radiator cap was and see how that works. Could F up the radiator tho :(

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
I think welding a filler neck to the drivers side of the radiator is the best way to go with the thermostat located in the upper hose. It's also the cleanest way to go because you can hide the overflow tank.

With that being said, I've seen people run the filler neck on the inlet side and they say it works but I've never tried it. Was your catch can filling up completely before the filler cap would start to leak? How big is your catch can? Maybe there isn't enough space for the coolant to expand once it gets hot? Have you tried to run a little less coolant to see if it still over pressurizes?

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
I think welding a filler neck to the drivers side of the radiator is the best way to go with the thermostat located in the upper hose. It's also the cleanest way to go because you can hide the overflow tank.

With that being said, I've seen people run the filler neck on the inlet side and they say it works but I've never tried it. Was your catch can filling up completely before the filler cap would start to leak? How big is your catch can? Maybe there isn't enough space for the coolant to expand once it gets hot? Have you tried to run a little less coolant to see if it still over pressurizes?

Im thinkin so to.

I to have seen and know one person that has his rad cap on the inlet side of the rad. He says it works fine. MMR also sells a kit to put the cap in the upper hose, Dont see why they would sell it if it didnt work :shrug: But its MMR :poke: The cap has to open before the catch can fills up. This setup is like a fox coolant setup. Catch can is 1 QT. Coolant i guess should expand but shouldnt build up more then 16 psi. Motor can also be cool and still leak or it did before i removed the t stat. No i havent tried to run alittle lower coolant. Im not sure if i should, When filling a fox or other cars with cap on rad you fill until full. Maybe the two caps are weak? I may try another cap to see if it still leaks.

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
Im thinkin so to.

I to have seen and know one person that has his rad cap on the inlet side of the rad. He says it works fine. MMR also sells a kit to put the cap in the upper hose, Dont see why they would sell it if it didnt work :shrug: But its MMR :poke: The cap has to open before the catch can fills up. This setup is like a fox coolant setup. Catch can is 1 QT. Coolant i guess should expand but shouldnt build up more then 16 psi. Motor can also be cool and still leak or it did before i removed the t stat. No i havent tried to run alittle lower coolant. Im not sure if i should, When filling a fox or other cars with cap on rad you fill until full. Maybe the two caps are weak? I may try another cap to see if it still leaks.

FWIW, when I would fill my old foxbody's coolant at the radiator, I was taught to always leave it about 2 or 3 inches below the filler neck to give it room to expand. I never had a problem doing it like that. :shrug:

Also, with the cobra's old setup, if I would overfill the crossover, the upper radiator hose would expand to the point where I would worry about it blowing off of the metal pipes. It was almost a ballooning effect that obviously had a lot of pressure behind it. I drained a little bit of the coolant out of the system and it was fine. I imagine if I had a filler cap in the crossover it would've had more than enough pressure to leak.

At this point I don't think it would hurt to try and run a little less coolant and just keep an eye on your temp gauge and see what happens...:shrug:

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Oh I see. Damn man, wish I could be of help. Hope you get it figured out!

Thanks man, Ill need it lol

FWIW, when I would fill my old foxbody's coolant at the radiator, I was taught to always leave it about 2 or 3 inches below the filler neck to give it room to expand. I never had a problem doing it like that. :shrug:

Also, with the cobra's old setup, if I would overfill the crossover, the upper radiator hose would expand to the point where I would worry about it blowing off of the metal pipes. It was almost a ballooning effect that obviously had a lot of pressure behind it. I drained a little bit of the coolant out of the system and it was fine. I imagine if I had a filler cap in the crossover it would've had more than enough pressure to leak.

At this point I don't think it would hurt to try and run a little less coolant and just keep an eye on your temp gauge and see what happens...:shrug:

I may try that. Only thing is with almost a half gallon of coolant low it didnt over heat. Think im just goin to get the parts to add a cap to rad and see how that works. Got to rebuild the Trac Loc first tho :( Im goin to do more reading before i cut up the rad lol.

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
I may try that. Only thing is with almost a half gallon of coolant low it didnt over heat. Think im just goin to get the parts to add a cap to rad and see how that works. Got to rebuild the Trac Loc first tho :( Im goin to do more reading before i cut up the rad lol.

Well good luck with it. If you decide to add a filler to the radiator post up the results. :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You need a functioning expansion tank, approximately the same size as the stock one.
It also needs to be plumbed correctly to function correctly.

An overflow tank is not an expansion tank though if it is large enough you might be able to plumb it so it functions as one.

Will the stock expansion tank not fit anymore?

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
You need a functioning expansion tank, approximately the same size as the stock one.
It also needs to be plumbed correctly to function correctly.

An overflow tank is not an expansion tank though if it is large enough you might be able to plumb it so it functions as one.

Will the stock expansion tank not fit anymore?

Just a question but why do i need a expansion tank? There are other mod motor cars without them and all the older cars just had a radaitor with a cap to a over flow bottle. Thats the setup i was goin for. A Expansion tank would need to be before the cap to work correctly. The stock tank will fit. I just wanted it to look clearer without that big tank even though I know my setup looks like shit but it was just to test it all out. I would have to just fit up a 2'' metal hose with a 1'' barb to run to the Expansion tank.

Users who are viewing this thread