Coolant Setup Help

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just a question but why do i need a expansion tank? There are other mod motor cars without them and all the older cars just had a radaitor with a cap to a over flow bottle. Thats the setup i was goin for. A Expansion tank would need to be before the cap to work correctly. The stock tank will fit. I just wanted it to look clearer without that big tank even though I know my setup looks like shit but it was just to test it all out. I would have to just fit up a 2'' metal hose with a 1'' barb to run to the Expansion tank.

Cooling fluids expand when they get hot, you have to allow room for that or else you have to under fill the engine and cooling system in the car. It will push out if it does not have any where to go when it is at operating temperature.... which is HOT. It has to be able to pull it back in as it cools also, other wise you will be constantly refilling.

What other mod motor cars are you seeing with no expansion tank?

Many of the older cars with no expansion tank or de-gas tank simply had a large expansion area built into the top of the radiator. Looked different but functioned the same.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Cooling fluids expand when they get hot, you have to allow room for that or else you have to under fill the engine and cooling system in the car. It will push out if it does not have any where to go when it is at operating temperature.... which is HOT. It has to be able to pull it back in as it cools also, other wise you will be constantly refilling.

What other mod motor cars are you seeing with no expansion tank?

Many of the older cars with no expansion tank or de-gas tank simply had a large expansion area built into the top of the radiator. Looked different but functioned the same.

Well the car will just keep pushing water out it seems. Car will push it out if the motor is at 180* or just started up. Temp doesnt seem to matter. The last time it lost water was about a half gallon. No way to under fill it by that much. Here is where MMR sells a kit to delete the expansion tank and you can delete crossover and add a radiator cap in upper hose also.

Coolant

I think i may pull the radiator out and fush it :shrug: . See if it flows water like it should. Car did sit for almost a yr without coolant or hoses.

Here is a vid of whats its doin.

th_VIDEO0030_zps3438849a.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
4v Ford water pumps really crank some volume and create quite a bit of pressure on the initial hit(rev).

On the stock set up there is space and hoses that flex that accommodate that surge that always occurs, prior to the suction side catching up with the movement.

Verifying you have good flow through the radiator is a good diagnostic next step.

Users who are viewing this thread