Coolant res spilling over!!!

testorossa1989

Established Member
Good sign with the fan running.

Order the 170F t-stat Jimmy linked you to. Its a great product and the timing is perfect. Once you pull the stock t-stat out, boil it and see if opens properly just to verify if this was your issue or not.

I imagine you're using the stock plastic radiator exapnsion tank? If so, there are instances where its sealing ability is compromised due to an overheating episode. It happened on 2 different Cobras for me. Kept putting brand new radiator caps on the tank and cooling kept spilling out no matter how carefully I burped the system.

Considering the price of the oem tank (NOT CHEAP), I just went to an aluminum tank. I would suggest Moroso, as I've had a Canton tank fail on me. One was enough to not recommend theirs. So just something to keep in mind if you find that you are having coolant still get past a brand new radiator cap.

Moroso 96-04 Mustang Coolant Expansion Tank (Black Powdercoat) - Coolant Expansion/Fill Tanks - Cooling - 03-04 SVT Cobra

If by chance you buy a product from Lethal, use discount code: SVTPERF for 5% off.

+1

Had this issue as well before I pulled my blower and did a pressure test on the plastic res and it blew air at the silicoln seems. 160$ later got a sweet expansion drum 1 piece with a beautiful weld. Im not sure if that was the problem but when I put everything togather I will surely check my fan!

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
Old thread, but need the help. I read this thread and this issue did not seem to be discussed. My issue is at boost and WOT (120mph) coolant sprays out of the hood vent and onto windshield. Not the worst to happen at 120, but makes it a little difficult to see. Doesn't help that I was out of washer fluid! I have noticed that the radiator leaks from the drain plug sometimes, and other times seems to be fine. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

When I popped a head gasket, mine sprayed coolant on the windshield from the drivers side too. Pressurized the the coolant system...

MysticRob

Established Member
When I popped a head gasket, mine sprayed coolant on the windshield from the drivers side too. Pressurized the the coolant system...

This is what I was thinking when I read it also leaks from the radiator drain plug. Sounds like the system is getting blown full of all kinds of treats. :(

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
I guess I will add to the chaos with my dilemma... car overheated, radiator was leaking, replaced it... overheated again. New cap, tried burping system and there is coolant running out the BELL HOUSING! This isn't run off. I am thinking it is a freeze plug.. input?

cj428mach

Established Member
I guess I will add to the chaos with my dilemma... car overheated, radiator was leaking, replaced it... overheated again. New cap, tried burping system and there is coolant running out the BELL HOUSING! This isn't run off. I am thinking it is a freeze plug.. input?

As said earlier if coolant overfills the valley area of the block it runs out the bell housing.

Users who are viewing this thread