Coolant res spilling over!!!

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
26.jpg

I am not to sure if I can explain this but here goes. The drip looks like it might be coming off the black thing/plug right under the heater core feed and return. I know this isnt a cobra but it seems when you need something you can never find it.

Another way to look at it is the lines on the fire wall in the panel, there are 4 going to the passanger and to the left of the bottom 2 there is a black cirlce... It may be coming out of that. A friend has said it might be the blow by tube, so now what?

rtvickers

Established Member
Im not sure if thats enought time for it to run over. Let it just sit and run for awhile and watch the temp. See what happens. Let it cyle up and down.

There's heater hoses that go to the heater core on the right side of the car on the fire wall. Did you have the AC on when it was running? Sometimes when I run my AC, the sweat drips on the headers. What kind of a leak did you have there before?

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
Never had one there before... Only leak I have ever had was at the rad cap. No coolant leaks and not oil leaks. This is all new!

I had the heater going full blast when I was running the car. Shut the car off and heard a wierd sound and looked and found this. It is not coming out of the heater hoses but from the fitting directly below it. Which we are sure it is the blow by tube for the heater core.

rtvickers

Established Member
When I took mine apart I dont remember a blow by tube. I had two hoses. One to the back of the head and one to the back of the water pump that runs under the intake. Now I didnt touch my ac system when I took mine apart. It may have something to do with that. When you had the heat on did you have it on defrost or vent. I was told that when you turn on the vent the ac systems runs. Not sure if its true but it doesn turn on the fan I think. Ill see if I can find my pics and take a look and see whats there.

YuGneLrn2Day

Established Member
OP - I had the same problem coolant coming out of the Res cap as well after a highway pull with a friend. I replaced the Res cap, burped the cooling system, and everything. Low and behold i took out my T-Stat and problem solved. I don't know if it was T-Stat problem or not but it definitely stopped coolant from coming out of the res Cap.

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
OP - I had the same problem coolant coming out of the Res cap as well after a highway pull with a friend. I replaced the Res cap, burped the cooling system, and everything. Low and behold i took out my T-Stat and problem solved. I don't know if it was T-Stat problem or not but it definitely stopped coolant from coming out of the res Cap.

This is what I am hoping is it, but now this leak coming out of what ever it is! I am really just hoping it is run off but that is very doubtful.

I dont know if this will work but heres a pic someone posted in my thread when I was flipping out over mine.

It wont let me copy and paste it. But here's link to the thread. Its about half way down.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/790380-help-blown-headgasket.html

I cannot see, the wires and lines are all in the way.If those werent there I could tell you if it was there... I cannot see it on my car but there is a whole lot of stuff in the way!

rtvickers

Established Member
Right in the second link. The piece sticking out to the immediate left of the 2 metal Bumps.

Its hard to see. It looks like it maybe a bolt to a bracket that has something to do with the heater core. Can you tell if its water or coolant leaking? If its water Id say its a good chance its sweat from the ac. If its coolant it could be a buster heater core. But if that was case wouldnt there be something in the floor board. The heater hoses are right above that. Make sure they arent loose, cracked, or broken. Hopefully the new Tstat fixed it.

hotcobra03

Established Member
if you over filled or spilled coolant at burp plug it will run out back of engine,,there is a gap between lower intake and block..

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
Looking pretty good today. Ran it for 35 minutes and all seemed good. Low fuel light came on so that will be the first test. More. Thanks everyone for their input. Mods to come are definitely the upgraded res.

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
So took it for a drive and all seems well. I opeded her up with a couple second and third gear pulls with no issues. Looks to be that either air got in the system or the thermostat was stuck.

Coolant must have been running through after I burped the system like you said Hot Cobra. Thanks again guys! Looks like I can enjoy the weather that has finally rolled in and I have been waiting for!

Even though everything appears to be running fine now, make sure over the next 2 days that before you start the car in the morning do the following.

1. Loosen the radiator expansion tank cap to release pressure then retighten.
2. With radiator cap tighten again, open up the burp plug to see if you have to add any more coolant through the crossover tube.

Sometimes you can still have air trapped in your cooling system and the air can take a few heat cycles to get all the air out. And as all the air works its way out you'll see your coolant level drop in the crossover tube area.

It takes less than 2 min. to do this over the next 2 days.

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
Even though everything appears to be running fine now, make sure over the next 2 days that before you start the car in the morning do the following.

1. Loosen the radiator expansion tank cap to release pressure then retighten.
2. With radiator cap tighten again, open up the burp plug to see if you have to add any more coolant through the crossover tube.

Sometimes you can still have air trapped in your cooling system and the air can take a few heat cycles to get all the air out. And as all the air works its way out you'll see your coolant level drop in the crossover tube area.

It takes less than 2 min. to do this over the next 2 days.

Consider it done! Thannks again Cobravortech!!!

pennman93

Established Member
I am having a similar issue

I'm having a coolant issue as well while it boost 24psi sometimes ... It will spray coolant out of the radiator tank just a bit :shrug: did a block test and came out negative for blown head gaskets ... No white smoke , oil looks fine , coolant looks fine ... Not sure what the heck is going on :poke: and my coolants temps on my logs won't pass 180s

Old thread, but need the help. I read this thread and this issue did not seem to be discussed. My issue is at boost and WOT (120mph) coolant sprays out of the hood vent and onto windshield. Not the worst to happen at 120, but makes it a little difficult to see. Doesn't help that I was out of washer fluid! I have noticed that the radiator leaks from the drain plug sometimes, and other times seems to be fine. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Old thread, but need the help. I read this thread and this issue did not seem to be discussed. My issue is at boost and WOT (120mph) coolant sprays out of the hood vent and onto windshield. Not the worst to happen at 120, but makes it a little difficult to see. Doesn't help that I was out of washer fluid! I have noticed that the radiator leaks from the drain plug sometimes, and other times seems to be fine. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Your intercooler pump has more than likely died and your intercooler res is belching coolant as it overheats. Do a search for intercooler pump, you're not the first to have coolant spray out the hood vent while under boost.

pennman93

Established Member
Your intercooler pump has more than likely died and your intercooler res is belching coolant as it overheats. Do a search for intercooler pump, you're not the first to have coolant spray out the hood vent while under boost.

Thank you, I will check it out. The coolant sprays from the drivers side vent only.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread