Coolant Question

93VORTECH

Established Member
My 03' Cobra has the Green Coolant in it. Don't know if it's the Factory Ford stuff or not. I'm gonna be doing a FULL Coolant Service to both my Engine and Intercooler Coolant Systems. The Owners Manual and a lot of other areas say to ONLY use the Factory Ford stuff. Is that because they don't want to chance mixing with anything else? Or is it also because of the quality/chemical make ups? So my question is, why can't I just completely drain/flush BOTH systems out and refill using some regular Prestone Coolant?? Do I really have to buy the FORD Coolant? I don't see why it would matter as long as I emptied ALL of the old stuff and put 100% of the new stuff in. Also I have like 5 Gallons of Prestone and it says use only in 2001 or Older Fords. Would it hurt to use that?? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
the green and the gold are the same, ethylene glycol. so yes you can use that prestone you have.

and no you don't have to use the ford branded stuff lol, however they would very much appreciate it if you bought it from them.

nxhappy

Established Member
if it's green, you put in green. If it's gold, you put in gold. does not have to be ford brand ...

93VORTECH

Established Member
if it's green, you put in green. If it's gold, you put in gold. does not have to be ford brand ...

Ok cool That's what I figured but I have access to a lot of Green Coolant, but the label says 2001 Fords or Older. So I'm just wondering why can't I use that in my 03'?? Shouldn't really matter and I wouldn't be mixing if I drained 100% and put the other in?? Do I really need 2001 or NEWER FORDS?

nxhappy

Established Member
if it's green, you can literally get ANY green coolant. Just buy some 50/50.
Ford just says that because they want more money lol.
The yellow color is a little different. The yellow coolant can be car specific. For my cobra I have to buy the "ford" yellow.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

That is not necessarily true. Color does not always correlate with chemical makeup.

I would use a modern HD coolant like Rotella Ultra ELC. It's the last coolant you'd ever have to put in the car.

nxhappy

Established Member
what I should have said was "ford" green is gonna be the same as "chevy" green ...lol

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
if it's green, you can literally get ANY green coolant. Just buy some 50/50.
Ford just says that because they want more money lol.
The yellow color is a little different. The yellow coolant can be car specific. For my cobra I have to buy the "ford" yellow.

you really don't have to use the ford gold, you can use the traditional green for your cobra and even mix it with the gold that is in there if you wanted to. (if you do that you should just change it regularly)

the primary difference between the green and the gold is the gold uses oat's to extend life. that's why ford went to the gold after around 2001 - they started specifying 100k coolant changes.

the big problem when mixing coolant is that if you use the old orange dexcool, which is propylene glycol (and much less toxic), with the regular stuff, it will cause clumping inside the system because they are not compatible.

the new hybrid types like what travis posted are pretty much compatible with anything. i remember doing alot of research about this stuff a few years ago so i think most of my info is correct, but if anyone sees any issues with it i am all ears

nxhappy

Established Member
you really don't have to use the ford gold, you can use the traditional green for your cobra and even mix it with the gold that is in there if you wanted to. (if you do that you should just change it regularly)

the primary difference between the green and the gold is the gold uses oat's to extend life. that's why ford went to the gold after around 2001 - they started specifying 100k coolant changes.

the big problem when mixing coolant is that if you use the old orange dexcool, which is propylene glycol (and much less toxic), with the regular stuff, it will cause clumping inside the system because they are not compatible.

the new hybrid types like what travis posted are pretty much compatible with anything. i remember doing alot of research about this stuff a few years ago so i think most of my info is correct, but if anyone sees any issues with it i am all ears
i think the green and the gold ford would have a chemical reaction and cause a shit load of problems...

Users who are viewing this thread