Coolant Crossover Help??

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Installation will be easy as pie with a little vaseline to juice up the tubes before you slide them into the block.
Little trick I got right from a Ford Tech.

For longevity's sake I'd stay away from using a petroleum-based lubricant on the rubber O-rings.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Whatta pain in the a$$. Ive got two replacement coolant crossover plugs sitting right here ready to ship. No nuts to weld on, just takes a 1" wrench or crescent wrench next time you want that crossover plug out.

Picture is of one of my tapped temp adapters. The replacement plugs arent tapped for a temp sender. $25 shipped

Paypal [email protected]

DSC00165.jpg

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
^^I'll try taking it off again, and if I do I'll buy one. Thanks for the pics.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Okay does anyone know if Ford sells the cap for the coolant crossover tube? If so does anyone have a part number? I though I'd post a few pics of how I finally got that piece off. I tried vice grips, bench vice, and heating it.

Well this is how I finally got it off. Heating with a chisel.

Don't mind the mess
IMG_8374.jpg

A little heat
IMG_8376.jpg

Put the chisel to work.
IMG_8378.jpg

IMG_8379.jpg

Dents from smacking the crossover out.

IMG_8384.jpg

All Done

IMG_8387.jpg

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
By "cap," I assume you mean the plug for the cross-over tube ... from what I've seen in these threads, Ford doesn't carry it in stock. Most owners have bought a threaded plug from a hardware store. If you have the old one, take it, and match up the threads with what's in the store ... or, if there's still enough of the plug left, you can still have that nut welded on. Just make it look as good as possible, with a file, sandpaper. I wouldn't want some mess standing right there in the open.

Clean up your cross-over tube and re-paint it - it'll look good as new, and the dents probably won't even be noticed. JMO EDIT: Oops, I forgot that you already reinstalled the tube.

I'm sure glad I had a 5.0 - this whole cross-over tube problem is really a bugger that Ford stuck the 4.6 owners with.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Vise grips have always worked for me.

Yes, Ford does sells the plug.

PM RandyStinchcomb for the part or the part number if you want to purchase it locally.

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I must be confused here, about the "cap." I was thinking that the "plug" was the item in question ... the plug that's taken out to burp the coolant system.:shrug:

Just an aside, but as a professional FAA A&P mechanic, claw hammers and vise-grips are not normally used by a mechanic - just in emergencies, not as a routine method of using hand tools. JMO

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I must be confused here, about the "cap." I was thinking that the "plug" was the item in question ... the plug that's taken out to burp the coolant system.:shrug:

Just an aside, but as a professional FAA A&P mechanic, claw hammers and vise-grips are not normally used by a mechanic - just in emergencies, not as a routine method of using hand tools. JMO

Yes, the plug. Ford still has them.

BTW, I was an Air Force Jet Engine mechanic for over 20 years (T-38, A-37, F-4, A-10, KC-135, B-52, B-1, F-15, F-16, F-22 and many others). There is a time for Vide Grips and this would be one. The plug is already damaged so now it's about getting it out regardless of the means. I'm too sure about the chisel though.

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Sorry for the hijack, but did you ever do 37's or 38's at Randolph? I was with LSI, there, from '86 - '03.:banana:

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
The plug is off sorry I forgot to mention that. Thanks for the info for who to pm.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Sorry for the hijack, but did you ever do 37's or 38's at Randolph? I was with LSI, there, from '86 - '03.:banana:

Nope, I was at Edwards AFB for 9 years, then RAF Bentwaters for 1 year and Edwards AFB again for 10 years. It's good to be a civilian.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
BTW, was an Air Force Jet Engine mechanic for over 20 years (T-38, A-37, F-4, A-10, KC-135, B-52, B-1, F-15, F-16, F-22 and many others).

:eek::beer: Funny you mention that the guy that was helping me out is an Aviation Mechanic too... But for the Marine Corps:poke:

The plug is already damaged so now it's about getting it out regardless of the means. I'm too sure about the chisel though.

Yeah I did get it out and yes the chisel was a last resort. I just really couldn't get a good grip with the vice grips.:bash:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread