Coolant Crossover Help??

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
When taking off my coolant crossover tube I figured I would take the cap off for when I need to burp the coolant system (DUMBASS!!):bash:. Well as you can see the tip of the extension didn't do a very good job. I'm not even sure I needed to take it off. Oh well what's done is done.

Is there any way to get the cap off? This way I don't have to replace the entire coolant crossover tube. Again any advice is appreciated.

This is what it looks like right now.
IMG_8368.jpg

IMG_8370.jpg

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
get a nut welded on it, if you want it off now hit it with some pb blaster and let it soak, then put it into a vice but do not crush the tube, wrap it with towels to protect it and carefully remove it.

redfiredroptop

Now with more GT500!
Established Member
I had the same thing happen to me with the tube on the car. I used a small screwdriver to pry the broken extension piece free. Don't try to pry it out, just try to unbind it in the recess. Once it was loose, I pulled it out with a magnet.

I then used a propane torch to heat the tube at the connection point for about a minute. After heating, the cap broke free with relatively little effort using a new extension.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
+++ On the nut ... that's the best fix I've heard of from the owners (inexpensive, too).

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
+++ On the nut ... that's the best fix I've heard of from the owners (inexpensive, too).

Yeah it looks like thats what I'm gonna have to do. My crossover tube seems a little loose now for some reason. I hope it doesn't leak when I put this back together:eek:

I might just have to get a used crossover tube.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Yeah it looks like thats what I'm gonna have to do. My crossover tube seems a little loose now for some reason. I hope it doesn't leak when I put this back together:eek:

I might just have to get a used crossover tube.

You did replace the O-ring with the correct size.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
I haven't replaced any o-rings just yet. Only because I haven't put everything back together. So is that where the 3rd o-ring goes?

Well YES!:bash:, after you remove the old one and clean up the outside of the male tube and the inside of the female tube. Then, when re-assembling the whole thing, use some silicon spray lubricant on all of the O-rings to ease their installation.

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Its funny you posted that pic. I saw the exact view just yesterday. I replaced the t-stat on the cobra motor in my truck and snap broke my 1/4 to 3/8 adapter. So i am trying to get that air out by squeezing the top radiator line. Will this even work?:shrug: i will be using the weld a nut method soon.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
been there done that too

I had a nut welded on mine also.

Do you mind posting a pic. I'm taking the crossover tube to my mechanic to weld the nut on and I wanted to give him an idea of what it looks like.:beer:

I'm sure he'll know what to do, but I just want to be on the safe side.

Al

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
lmao.. Been there in that exact same situation.

I had a nut welded on top, smoothed it over a little bit and had it powdercoated. Looks like it belongs there...

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
There is enough of a lip to get a pair of pliers on there. Mine was a tad stuck, I just gave it a little pull with a pair of channel locks, and off it came.

mackj66

Established Member
Installation will be easy as pie with a little vaseline to juice up the tubes before you slide them into the block.
Little trick I got right from a Ford Tech.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Installation will be easy as pie with a little vaseline to juice up the tubes before you slide them into the block.
Little trick I got right from a Ford Tech.

Thanks I'm planning on doing that.

Now I have to wait for my o-rings and gaskets to get in. Hopefully they'll be in tomorrow. :beer:

Rev Happy

Established Member
In the future, a good pair of vice grips will get the plug off. Since the plug has an o-ring, you can just tighten it by hand. One of the main reasons why that plug is stripped so often is because its usually over tightened the previous time it was put on.

Users who are viewing this thread