Convertible Top Cylinder leaking!!!!

maltz87

Established Member
This is the passenger side convertible top cylinder. It was hard to get good pics but here they are. My question is, is it the cylinder or line that is bad? I would rather replace the line and not the cylinder. I filled the motor up with fluid and ran the top up and down several times. It is definitely leaking from there. Any help?

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

Blueline

Established Member
Can you unscrew that fitting where the line is going into the cylinder and reseal the threads?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Trade it and by a coupe. Oh wait, that's wrong, lol. Not sure if that will work Tony, the crimp looks wet too. I think "Oldmodman" might have some input here if he sees this.

Blueline

Established Member
You may be right Brad, but it looks like it may be leaking at the threads and running down to the 90*. Im hoping for an easy fix for you bud.

maltz87

Established Member
Im going to get new lines as a V-day present.. yay for me. Thanks for the input.

FYI.....I'm a convertible guy!!

maltz87

Established Member
I discovered the leak one beautiful day in the garage. I noticed quite a puddle of fluid under the RR wheel. I did not add up 2+2 on where it was coming from other than underneath. I then noticed my top was barely coming up. I then did my reading on here and started to take apart my interior. I knew it was leaking, I just had to find where. Once I got the rear speaker boxes out of the way on both sides, I noticed wet marks by the cylinder and on the chassis floor. I cleaned it up, put fluid in the motor and ran it up and down. While running it, I noticed dripping coming the top of the cylinder as seen in the photos. An update, the cylinder seems to be the problem and a new one is on the way from ebay. Ill post up pics of the install whenever it gets here.

03' White Snake

Established Member
You can buy a new cylinder from Late Model Resto for a little over $100 and same with a tubing kit. I was pricing them out for my buddies car. Usually the cylinder seals go bad, not the hose.

maltz87

Established Member
well i replaced the cylinder (difficult by yourself) and now the top won't go up or down. I took out the cylinder when it was half extended and i know i lost lot of fluid. Now the top won't go up or down. All I hear is the motor running. Whats the best way to get rid of all of the air?

I have tried what everyone else has tried and that is filling the motor up with fluid with the top down and keeping the grommet out while putting the top up and down to get rid of the air but no luck, top will not budge. Anyone have another way? Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

If i do manually put the top up half way, when i press the button either up or down, it will work. Any help.

Thanks

SeanUSAF

Established Member
Just replaced my driver side cylinder. You need to prime the reservoir with Mercon V. It and the pump are.one peice. Unmount the pump, take out the little black plug and use a turkey baste to fill it up. You will have to do it a few times to get the air out. If the fluid gets foamy, let it settle and do it again. Got my cylinder from a junkyard for $40 and works like a champ.

maltz87

Established Member
I have heard two different methods. 1) fill up motor with plug out with top down and cycle it. repeat as necessary 2) fill up motor and put plug back in and cycle it. pull plug out and fill motor and replace plug. repeat...

Should the plug be in or out?

Users who are viewing this thread