Consistently ripping belts

digital911

Established Member
Ever since I upgraded to TVS 2.3, I've been having issues with my belt only lasting a thousand miles or so before it begins to frey. I am not sure if it's from the increased torque on the belt or what? I do not think it's misaligned.

Any ideas? Do I need a Kevlar belt or what?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

MalcolmV8

Established Member
That's not normal. You have something wrong. My first guess would be a misaligned pulley.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's almost certain to be an alignment issue. The edge is fraying, correct?

digital911

Established Member
It's almost certain to be an alignment issue. The edge is fraying, correct?
Correct and my nations alternator has a batt light flash at wot under high rpm. Not sure if that means slip but it appears to hold boost so I don't think so.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Correct and my nations alternator has a batt light flash at wot under high rpm. Not sure if that means slip but it appears to hold boost so I don't think so.

Typically that means the alternator is going out. It's not holding voltage at the high RPMs at WOT. You can datalog voltage and confirm that's the problem.

digital911

Established Member
Typically that means the alternator is going out. It's not holding voltage at the high RPMs at WOT. You can datalog voltage and confirm that's the problem.
I will data log it. As far as the freyed belt, it's one rib facing the engine itself.any ideas on where it could be coming from?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
How long have you had the nations alternator? I made a thread last summer in regards to the nations alternator not providing the correct washer. I had to use a thick washer as a spacer for the correct alignment.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

digital911

Established Member
As a matter of fact, I recall all of the belt shredding issues started shortly after the nation's alternator and yes your right they didn't send the correct bolt. The diameter of the bolt is a little too small and I allowed it to be put on like that anyway. I bet that slight amount of angle is causing the problem.

I am hoping that is also the cause of the flashing battery light at high rpm under full throttle.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My battery light still flickers at high rpms. Not all the time though. It's common. I was watching and data logged to make sure, volts never dropped below 13.8-9 range.

digital911

Established Member
My battery light still flickers at high rpms. Not all the time though. It's common. I was watching and data logged to make sure, volts never dropped below 13.8-9 range.
Good, that makes me feel much better.

digital911

Established Member
Did you change the pulley on your alternator to try and slow it down or did you keep the same from nation's?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you change the pulley on your alternator to try and slow it down or did you keep the same from nation's?

I kept the same from nations. It's already larger than the stock one. I believe nations is around 2.9" and stocker is what 2.6"?

Last edited:

digital911

Established Member
I kept the same from nations. It's already larger than the stock one. I believe nations is around 2.9" and stocker is what 2.6"?
Yeah sounds right.

BTW, how do you like your thump tensioner? And did you replace all of your factory idlers?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah sounds right.

BTW, how do you like your thump tensioner? And did you replace all of your factory idlers?

So far I like it, but it's fairly new I installed it in fall. I'm running the metco idlers.

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
I had a problem recently and went through 2 belts shredding within a month. I had an idler backing out which I helicoil and fixed, but the culprit causing it to back out and shredding belts was my Alt pulley. Was barely hanging on and way out of line destroying the pulley, alt cover. Had flickering battery light as well. Got new alternator and new 3.2 pulley, problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread