"connected cars" automatically reporting to insurance companies

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Yep, just commented on another thread. I don't want unauthorized monitoring of my car's activity. Simple things like having an app to remotely start your car, or tell you one of the tire has low pressure are the "hooks" which make the application look useful. What undisclosed sharing contains is the part that bothers me....
Well after we all get our juris doctorates and pass the bar we'll be able to fully understand the terms and conditions this type of shit comes with that no one reads

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Life has become so easy people are willing to pay extra to fork over their freedoms. Yeah, you save a tiny bit of money on your car insurance but you paid out the nose at the dealer for the system that reports everything to your overlords.

This article is regarding built in technology in cars not the OBD dongles or apps that one can get from car insurance companies.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With Google being the operating system on you new (2021+) GM and throw in OnStar, "they" know where you go, when you go, and what you are saying.
If your phone is on, they are listening to you.
4 years ago, I was talking to the wife at a Beer Pub. My phone chimed with an add for the exact product we were talking about.
Ever since, I don't take my phone into any establishment where I am going to have a conversation. If I do take my phone with me, it is off. Even at home I am careful ablout what I say or talk to the wife about with a phone nearby.
I had a conversation with the wife about something, and I made sure both phones were in the house and we were out in the back property just to make sure nothing could be "heard".
Am I paranoid? Yea, probably.
To many "conspiracy theories" have been proven true in the last few years.

Blown 89

Established Member
This article is regarding built in technology in cars not the OBD dongles or apps that one can get from car insurance companies.
I realize that. You're still paying for all of this stuff and you're still forking over your liberties by buying one. There's a reason cars aren't $30k anymore.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
With Google being the operating system on you new (2021+) GM and throw in OnStar, "they" know where you go, when you go, and what you are saying.
If your phone is on, they are listening to you.
4 years ago, I was talking to the wife at a Beer Pub. My phone chimed with an add for the exact product we were talking about.
Ever since, I don't take my phone into any establishment where I am going to have a conversation. If I do take my phone with me, it is off. Even at home I am careful ablout what I say or talk to the wife about with a phone nearby.
I had a conversation with the wife about something, and I made sure both phones were in the house and we were out in the back property just to make sure nothing could be "heard".
Am I paranoid? Yea, probably.
To many "conspiracy theories" have been proven true in the last few years.

I love when i get an add for the exact watch a wear every day...its ****in creepy and yeah that phone knows all and hears all

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
No wonder my rates have gone up inexplicably :mad:
1710294542642.gif

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
This shit was on foxnews last night...jessie waters did a piece on it

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yep, just commented on another thread. I don't want unauthorized monitoring of my car's activity. Simple things like having an app to remotely start your car, or tell you one of the tire has low pressure are the "hooks" which make the application look useful. What undisclosed sharing contains is the part that bothers me....

That's exactly right. They push those features out and you have to agree to lengthy terms and conditions in order to begin using the app/feature. Buried in those T&Cs are the permissions to do this crap. Certainly my bad, but I don't read those T&Cs.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
^^ Looks clean!

Where is your antenna?

Missing lol. Radio doesn't work so I have to hook up with an aux cord, but my newest phone doesn't have an aux port anymore so it's just the CD player and I don't know what I did with all my old CDs. It needs a lot of work in pretty much every area, but everything is still there for the most part, minus the antenna.

Users who are viewing this thread