Congrats Jimmie Johnson, 4 in a row!

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I've always wanted to go to the rolex at daytona!

I've been to about 11 NASCAR cup races at daytona...I had a blast every single time!

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I respect what JJ has done but I have to wonder sometimes WTF is up with Hendrick Motorsports? Are they really THIS much better than the other teams? If I was Jack Roush I would be ashamed at the way my teams performed this year. Even Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman did better than all the Roush guys. I'm a huge Roush/Ford Racing fan and this year sucked. Ford always seems to be one step behind when it comes to things like releasing new engines or having the best aero package. I've been a Ford Racing fan for over 15 years and it's getting old. First Earnhardt, then Gordon, now this. Nascar why don't you let someone besides Chevrolet dominant a little? They ARE NOT this much better of a company as evidence by the their recent troubles!

That doesn't mean that chevy > ford

better drivers just happen to be chevy drivers, lol

I drive a ford, but I've always been a chevy racing fan.

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member
Dont get me wrong Stig, I like any forms of racing too. I went to the Rolex 24 HR race too, had a good time. But a Nascar race, depending what track you go to (Talladega, Pocono, the Cali and Texas track would be boring IMO) is just an exciting time.

TMS is lots of fun I think. I try to make it out there most years.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I wish I would have seen the race today. Was it any good?

I went to the race today. It was a pretty good time and it was a good race. Ran for about 70 laps before a caution...Jimmie was out front a bunch, I guess his guys must've told him cool it and stay out of trouble. Montoya was an asshole with Tony Stewart and after a 2 lap penalty was told another incident and he was out!!! Place went wild with approval...I guess he's not like much 'round these parts!!!

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Why's that? I don't understand how everyone can be so bitter because of someone that made history. Jimmie Johnson is undoubtedly one of the best drivers to ever race in Nascar. Jimmie is such a down to earth guy, does so much for charity, you never EVER hear the guy complain or whine and cry when things don't go his way like a few other drivers do. He is such a stand up guy in more ways than one!

i like JJ alot actually. you are right, he is down to earth and a great guy. i am just sick of the way the season ended and not a fan of the "chase".

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
I went to the race today. It was a pretty good time and it was a good race. Ran for about 70 laps before a caution...Jimmie was out front a bunch, I guess his guys must've told him cool it and stay out of trouble. Montoya was an asshole with Tony Stewart and after a 2 lap penalty was told another incident and he was out!!! Place went wild with approval...I guess he's not like much 'round these parts!!!

Montoya is never liked around here either, dont forget Tony was the same way when first started too. I would like to go that race track sometime.

Yea couldnt find ONE trailer of Montoya's stuff at the track. But they sure were about 10 of Jr's. :nonono:

B-O-B'03

Established Member
TMS is lots of fun I think. I try to make it out there most years.

The Texas track can be boring, when it is just folks driving around the track and not racing anyone (like the race a couple of weeks ago).

I like to watch racing, where people actually drive for position and try get around other drivers... the las few I have watched at TMS were not like that.

TMS is a very cool speedway, I remember when the CART guys were relucatnt to run there due to the extreme banking.

I received a certificate to drive 10 laps in a cup car, at speeds up to 150 MPH, for Christmas last year and am taking my laps on the 5th of Decmeber.

Look at program 4

I can't wait.

-Brian

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member
The Texas track can be boring, when it is just folks driving around the track and not racing anyone (like the race a couple of weeks ago).

I like to watch racing, where people actually drive for position and try get around other drivers... the las few I have watched at TMS were not like that.

TMS is a very cool speedway, I remember when the CART guys were relucatnt to run there due to the extreme banking.

I received a certificate to drive 10 laps in a cup car, at speeds up to 150 MPH, for Christmas last year and am taking my laps on the 5th of Decmeber.

Look at program 4

I can't wait.

-Brian

Enjoy man, I did program 2 back when I was 19. Lots of fun.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I'm sorry Matt Kenseth didn't make a better showing in the season that started so promising. Otherwise, I agree Roush Racing has some issues that need to be worked out. I like how Tony Stewart put his teams together and how solid they were all year. No denying Jimmie Johnson and all of Hendrick's organization as top-notch I wish Ford could step it up again and provide some competition.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Way to go #48.

im not a fan, but ill give credit where credit is due. They know that its all about the chase, so they only do enough to get into it, and then pour on the heat, whereas other teams pour on the heat to get into the chase then fizzle out.

Anyone who bitches about the chase are just annoyed that their favorite teams just cant figure the above out, mine included. Smoke was great all season, above and beyond all expectations, and was #1 in standings going into the chase. During the chase, he sucked ass. if i was a normal dumb fan, yeah id be annoyed at Nascar and blame it all on Brian France about why the Chase sucks yadda yadda. but im not, i realize the chase is where its at and thats where teams need to step up their game, not get a huge lead then sluff off, because thats what the Chase format prevents.

you wont see me whining about the chase. I just realize these other teams need to get with the program if they want to win championships, just like the 48 team has. THey are all sucking because they are spending too much time whining about the chase and trying to get it abolished rather than realizing its not going away and how to be competitive enough during the season to make the chase, and be competitive enough during the chase to beat the 48 team, otherwise the 48 is going 5 in a row (as much as i hate to say it).

I do however believe the Chase needs a revamp of tracks. AND like most drivers said during "Prelude for the Dream" that they all would love to have a dirt oval thrown into the mix. I wouldnt mind seeing another road course track during the chase, but thats my biased towards my own driver (Smoke) since he dominates them. Laguna Seca would be awesome to race at.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
If you look at the schedule for the chase, those are his best tracks that no one is better at than him...so until they change the schedule or JJ has some bad luck..he'll keep doing what he is doing.

food for thought: are they his best tracks out of luck, or are they his best tracks because he knows they are in the chase so he and Knaus decide these are the tracks they need to be most competitive at.....

think about that for a second......

2007 for instance, Jeff Gordon put down an AMAZING season of 30 top 10 finishes and even during the chase I believe he averaged like 5th? The driver that put on the best performance of the season didn't win the championship..

I do remember this. They had JG touted as the champion winner halfway through the season. He was on every station, his face was everywhere. Around the same half of the season, JJ picked up his stride and kept it up through the end. IIRC it was only a 10pt difference between JJ and JG at the last lap of the last race.

Just goes to show what happens if you burn too bright in the beginning; you run out of fuel to keep burning till the end.

I'm just not happy with a lot of changes NASCAR have done over the years and I have slowly been drifting away from it...don't even get me started with the COTs...

I am. I wasnt a fan up until about 10 or so years ago, i always thought it was a dumbass hick sport, as did my entire family.

They are now AVID Nascar fans. Right now im working my GF's side of the family and turning them onto the sport, as they feel the same way. Easiest way; tell them to pick a driver, any driver, and watch them throughout the race in the ticker. Guarantee within 10min if their driver is good and moves up, they are hooked and yelling at the tube anytime their driver is shown on TV.

Oh and i love the CoT. Stable, Fast, Safe, Durable, etc. I dunno how people dont like the car, i guess its the wing :shrug: which is a pretty stupid reason IMO to not like a far superior design. The old car is a freaking jalopy compared to it. These guys are driving these cars off the walls and into eachother and they arent even phased, the old car would get a small brushin with the wall and its game over. Bump-drafting is no longer something the drivers are afraid of doing, and adds a whole new level of strategy. These guys are not only racing, but are playing a game of chess at 180mph. Align yourself with the right guy and you can go far, the wrong guy and you can fall back. Im not a fan of the restrictor plate however, it makes for a really boring 398 out of 400 laps.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
FWIW,

Nascar Championships since 1960
GM = 33
Ford = 7
Mopar = 6

Ford and Mopar need their White Knight's

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
food for thought: are they his best tracks out of luck, or are they his best tracks because he knows they are in the chase so he and Knaus decide these are the tracks they need to be most competitive at.....

think about that for a second......

They're his best tracks because they happen to be his best tracks. You can't really 'decide' what tracks you are going to be good at...it just kinda happens, depending on your driving style.

I do remember this. They had JG touted as the champion winner halfway through the season. He was on every station, his face was everywhere. Around the same half of the season, JJ picked up his stride and kept it up through the end. IIRC it was only a 10pt difference between JJ and JG at the last lap of the last race.

Just goes to show what happens if you burn too bright in the beginning; you run out of fuel to keep burning till the end.

I don't think that was 2007..that was a different year where it came down to the very end and he lost by a few points.

I wouldn't say that he 'ran out of fuel' at the end...he still had an almost flawless chase, Jimmie Johnson just pulled it off better.

Under the old points system Jeff Gordon would have easily clenched the title by like...200+points I believe?

As for the restrictor plate racing..I miss the plate package from 2001-2002...by far the best racing I've ever watched.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
When I opened up thread, I thought it was about jimmy Johns...

Solopony

Established Member
I think the Chase needs to include a road course and change year to year if they keep it. I just think it is BS to take away a hard earned point lead from a guy after 22ish races.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
They're his best tracks because they happen to be his best tracks. You can't really 'decide' what tracks you are going to be good at...it just kinda happens, depending on your driving style.

i beg to differ.

i would strive to excel at those 10 tracks over any others. I would also probably win championships and people would call me a bitch and blame the decline of Nascar on me too, just because I realized what tracks matter and what tracks dont.

I think the Chase needs to include a road course and change year to year if they keep it. I just think it is BS to take away a hard earned point lead from a guy after 22ish races.

A random chase track format would be sweet as well. This would be the easiest way to "Jimmy Proof" the Chase while not actually coming out and saying they are having to "Jimmy Proof" it. Then again, if they know what 10 tracks are Chase material before hand, they will know what tracks to pay special attention to when they are there during the standard season.

I wouldnt call it BS. Remember, im a big Tony Stewart fan and yes, we lost it all after the Chase started. Its not BS when its part of the game. Everyone racing knows if they make the chase they are all on equal ground at that point, theres no BS to it. If anyone has room to bitch about the chase format, it should be #14 fans. Its just the way it goes.

Last edited:

Raven519

Established Member
i give jimmy all the credit in the world, he is a great racer, but honestly the "chase" has ruined nascar IMO...now with the chase you can be in 12th place in the standings 1400 points back and once the chase starts your not far off from the lead. If it wasn't for the chase, jimmy wouldn't have 2 championships, this year martin would have ran away with it IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread